Short road trip- Mtbr.com

Thread: Short road trip

mtbr member
    May 2017

Short road trip

Hey guys it's looking like I'm going to have a week between jobs and thinking about doing a little road trip. I'm in nw florida and leaning towards going up through Alabama or Georgia to TN or NC. Looking for rides around 15 miles in length. I've only been riding for about a year so not looking for anything stupidly technical. My home trails don't have any sort of rating system but I did all the blues at chewacla without any trouble which is about the best indicator of skill level I can think to give. Proximity to good fly fishing is a plus. Where would you head and what would you consider a must hit on the way? Thanks for any help.

WillWorkForTrail
    I'm not sure what kind of shape NC is in after the hurricanes they've had recently, but DuPont will certainly scratch your riding itch, and going due west from Dupont out 64 from Brevard will put you into some beautiful fly fishing waters. I've heard great things about some of the fishing around Chattanooga but I've not been there. I hear Enterprise is quite a good ride though, you also have Raccoon mountain and 5 points. If you come up through Alabama/western GA oak mountain and Coldwater might be worth hitting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    FATS in SC just across the river from Augusta GA if full of flow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If I had a week, leaving from your area for Intermediate trails, I'd hit the following:
    Day 1: Drive from FLA to Brevard NC. Break up the drive with a detour through Chicopee in ATL
    Day 2-3: Ride Dupont. Don't miss Ridgeline, Big Rock/Cedar Rock. If you like climbing, Bracken mountain is a good intro to Pisgah Too.
    Day 4: Tsali in Bryson City NC
    Day 5: Tanasi in Ducktown/Cleveland TN
    Day 6: Racoon Mt in Chattanooga
    Day 7: Coldwater Mt in Anniston and Return home.

This makes a big loop around some of the best riding in the SE, but is by no means all inclusive. It'd be easy to spend a week in just Alabama, Chattanooga Area, or Dupont/Pisgah.

Have fun, I'm jealous!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    For Flyfishing, Check out the Nantahala River or Little Tennessee in Bryson City, or venture into the small streams in the Smokies. Also check out the Chattooga River on the SC/GA border, or the Cohuttas in North Georgia among others. Most all of these are within 1 hour drive of the loop I described above.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wmw4 View Post
    Hey guys it's looking like I'm going to have a week between jobs and thinking about doing a little road trip. I'm in nw florida and leaning towards going up through Alabama or Georgia to TN or NC. Looking for rides around 15 miles in length. I've only been riding for about a year so not looking for anything stupidly technical. My home trails don't have any sort of rating system but I did all the blues at chewacla without any trouble which is about the best indicator of skill level I can think to give. Proximity to good fly fishing is a plus. Where would you head and what would you consider a must hit on the way? Thanks for any help.
    Chattanooga area has a bunch of options and just up I24 is Sewanee. Two great trails up here.

https://www.woodysbicycles.com/local-trails

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Any opinions on the stuff around mulberry gap or in Cherokee for an intermediate? Ive spent a lot of time fishing around Bryson City so I may end up splitting my time between there and Brevard since I've never been over that way. Absolutely love western North Carolina but this will be the first time bringing the bike.

Cycologist
    I don't mean to be making too many assumptions about your abilities but I think you may find the trails in some of these locations to be a lot more climbing than you are used to. I'm not trying to discourage you from riding these trails, just saying it's something you may want to think about.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Agree that for the uninitiated, the climbs can take some getting used to. I moved to East TN from the Alabama Gulf coast about 15 years ago, and I had to temper my mileage expectations during the transition. That mindset helped me a great deal to just enjoy the ride and not sweat the stats.

Guessing you're wade fishing, but if you'd entertain a float trip, the Upper Toccoa is a great trip for scenery and fishing. Great riding in and around the area of Blue Ridge, Ellijay, into TN and Western NC as others have mentioned.

https://www.canoekayak.com/canoe/bes...-toccoa-river/

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Some good suggestions in this thread, but most of those trails are going to be a long drive from NW Florida. If you want to cut down on the driving, there is a ton of good riding, and from what I'm told(I don't fish), good fishing in Alabama. You could camp at Oak Mountain State Park, where there is a ton of riding of all levels, and also hit Coldwater which is a little gnarlier but super fun, and Sylaward which is smooth and super flowy. I personally think Sylaward is one of the most under-rated trails in the Southeast, and it's definitely a "blue" trail. Also, it will be a little warmer in Alabama and less leaves on the trails than up in North Carolina. Enjoy your trip!