Ropes Mill - E Bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ropes Mill - E Bikes

I had a quick ride at Ropes yesterday after work and encountered a guy riding an electric bike on Raceway. Are these allowed on these trails? I'm not sure how I feel about it yet but was just wondering.

Poor guy crashed when I caught up to him.
    OMB :thumbsup:
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1
    2017 Santa Cruz HighTower C
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp
    2016 Specialized Rockhopper

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBiker View Post
    I had a quick ride at Ropes yesterday after work and encountered a guy riding an electric bike on Raceway. Are these allowed on these trails? I'm not sure how I feel about it yet but was just wondering.

Poor guy crashed when I caught up to him.
    I believe the are. I encountered one at Blanket's Creek last year and I asked the guy if he had checked that they were legal. He hadn't. He also said he had ridden Vann Micheal with no assistance but I really doubt that. I wasn't sure if they were allowed or not so I didn't say anything but I emailed Sorba Woodstock and they told me they are allowed. I think they will be trouble on such congested trail systems with all the tight sections and twisty turns unless they stick to true bicycle speeds and don't do a lot of passing.

Actually, now I remember seeing one at Rope before, too. Guy came out of Raceway and immediately headed back in again.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Cycologist
    Woah, new bike OMB! How is it?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    FWIW, I rode Big Creek a few weeks ago while in town and there were two guys riding the trails on old DH bikes converted to E-Bikes, not just pedal assist, but with throttles and they were moving.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I used to ride with a friend who rode an ebike both at Rope Mill and Blankets Creek. In fact I just saw an ebike at Blankets last weekend.

:\ ping of death
    Why wouldn't they be legal?
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    FWIW, I rode Big Creek a few weeks ago while in town and there were two guys riding the trails on old DH bikes converted to E-Bikes, not just pedal assist, but with throttles and they were moving.
    I don't have all the specifics at hand right now but it's my understanding that there are several categories of ebikes. Reader's Digest version - Pedal assist bikes are ok but anything with a throttle is not. In other words, if the motor is providing any oomph while you're not pedaling, you're on a motorcycle, not an ebike.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    Because these aren't wide open easy to pass trails like you have out in Vegas. These are tight, twisty singletrack trails with a lot of traffic where having a lot of the traffic moving at a higher rate of speed will be an issue. Find a way to restrict them to bicycle speeds and a way to keep any other ebikes off the trails and maybe they should be legal.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dolittle View Post
    I don't have all the specifics at hand right now but it's my understanding that there are several categories of ebikes. Reader's Digest version - Pedal assist bikes are ok but anything with a throttle is not. In other words, if the motor is providing any oomph while you're not pedaling, you're on a motorcycle, not an ebike.
    Pedal assist bikes are not ok, they have to be pedal assist and with a cutout of the motor at 20mph; sounds like these bikes were neither. You have demonstrated an issue with ebikes, people just go off of what they think rather than actually checking. I thought all ebikes were banned at Big Creek but I don't see anything noted on the RAMBO website. Doesn't mean they are illegal but also does not mean they are legal; someone would have to do some more research.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Because these aren't wide open easy to pass trails like you have out in Vegas. These are tight, twisty singletrack trails with a lot of traffic where having a lot of the traffic moving at a higher rate of speed will be an issue. Find a way to restrict them to bicycle speeds and a way to keep any other ebikes off the trails and maybe they should be legal.
    I don't understand that logic. Having an e-bike doesnt equate to a higher rate of speed. Sure it's a pedal assist but how is that different than being passed by someone much faster than you on a regualr mtb? Heck, I get passed all the time by riders faster and bigger than me, the trail doesn't know (and probably doesn't care) if they're on an e-bike or not.

Cycologist
    I don't understand that logic. Having an e-bike doesnt equate to a higher rate of speed. Sure it's a pedal assist but how is that different than being passed by someone much faster than you on a regualr mtb? Heck, I get passed all the time by riders faster and bigger than me, the trail doesn't know (and probably doesn't care) if they're on an e-bike or not.
    So you're saying people on ebikes are not faster on average than people on bicycles? Do you have experience riding the trail that's being discussed, or are you just making a lot of assumptions based on what you think you know about trails in general?

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    So you're saying people on ebikes are not faster on average than people on bicycles? Do you have experience riding the trail that's being discussed, or are you just making a lot of assumptions based on what you think you know about trails in general?
    That's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is someone on an e-bike doesn't necessarily mean they'll be faster
    than everyone on an e-bike. Picture a beginner rider (not physically fit, a minor, an elder, just someone not fast) on an e-bike versus a very fast and seasoned rider on a 29er that has won and podiumed multiple xc races. Are you saying that the beginner rider will be faster just because they're on an e-bike? Heck, when the playing field was level and everyone was on 26", when 29ers came out people were getting passed all the time, why weren't 29ers illegal then?

I ride rope mill between 2-4 times a month and every time I've been out there I wouldn't consider it 'a lot of traffic'. You make it sound like people are passing each other at every corner. Same thing at Allatoon Creek which I ride at a minimum of once a week and is just as tight and twisty as Rope Mill if not more. There isn't some monstrosity of a traffic jam there either.

But whatever floats your boat yo. You have your opinion, I have mine. Cheers.

Cycologist
    That's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is someone on an e-bike doesn't necessarily mean they'll be faster
    than everyone on an e-bike. Picture a beginner rider (not physically fit, a minor, an elder, just someone not fast) on an e-bike versus a very fast and seasoned rider on a 29er that has won and podiumed multiple xc races. Are you saying that the beginner rider will be faster just because they're on an e-bike? Heck, when the playing field was level and everyone was on 26", when 29ers came out people were getting passed all the time, why weren't 29ers illegal then?

I ride rope mill between 2-4 times a month and every time I've been out there I wouldn't consider it 'a lot of traffic'. You make it sound like people are passing each other at every corner. Same thing at Allatoon Creek which I ride at a minimum of once a week and is just as tight and twisty as Rope Mill if not more. There isn't some monstrosity of a traffic jam there either.

But whatever floats your boat yo. You have your opinion, I have mine. Cheers.
    But that's my point, there is a lot of traffic but surprisingly not so much passing based on the amount of traffic. If there are just a small number of ebikers (like now), I don't think there will be an issue. If the percentage greatly increases, like some of the ebikers insist will happen, I think it will be an issue. Sure, on the techie sections and downhills, there isn't much difference. But on the climbs and flats, there is. A beginner on an ebike will be faster than a beginner on a bicycle and the same thing with an experienced rider. They will raise the average speed.

I rode Allatoona today, Mumbo Jumbo/Voodoo/Hocus Pocus and Turtle/Red Baron. I got tired and was definitely going slower than I normally would. I sessioned several sections and took several breaks. If I had a motor assisting me, I wouldn't have been dragging so much. There were at least 50 cars in the parking lot.

btw, your profile still says you're in Vegas.

mtbr member
    Yes Chaz, I got the new bike in December and wasnt able to get it out much during the winter due to all the rain we had plus strep throat. Im just now really able to enjoy it like Ive wanted to. It is amazing is all I can say. I honestly didnt think there was very much difference to say my other bike (SC HT) or others similar like Pivot, Ibis, etc but I was mistaken. Of course the upper echelon components does help a good bit. At the end of the day I have never felt more confident and comfortable riding as I do on this SB130. I attack all climbs without even hesitating. And downhill is mindnumbing crazy! LOL
    OMB :thumbsup:
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1
    2017 Santa Cruz HighTower C
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp
    2016 Specialized Rockhopper