Road Atlanta trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Road Atlanta trails?

Anybody have any experience with these trails? I believe they are private and off limits to the public, used only by the local NICA team, and have no records on any of the websites that list trail systems. There is a 3/6 hour race there in June. Anyone have input on what they are like? How technical, how much climbing, similarities to other public trails, etc.?

Thanks

mtbr member
    http://www.primatappa.com/xctrail/

Trail descriptions are about 2/3rds down the page. They open to the public for the day, Saturday, June 8, and you can ride for a small suggested donation. I've never been, but have wanted to check them out as well. I think they open to the public for non-race events 3 times a year.
    Last edited by Timothy G. Parrish; 05-30-2019 at 07:55 AM.

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!
    I've ridden some of the trails as part of the CX race held out there last year during the Georgia Cross Series. They were fun--some tight spots, some double track. We rode less than half a mile. I can't remember how many miles there were. Keep an eye on the PT FB page, too:

https://www.facebook.com/PrimaTappaCycling/

mtbr member
    Since it rained June 8th, it looks like they rescheduled the public access day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    There was a race there last saturday, I wish I would have known earlier so I could have entered my kids. I just needed to drop something off at the road course and noticed the bike event. But my wife rode those trails with my kids once or twice, didn't sound like anything too exciting.

mtbr member
    I live up near that way and from what I hear these trails are primarily for the NICA competitions. Or were originally built for them but by now that could have changed somewhat. At the time I also understood this trail was built and/or sponsored solely by Fox who by the way is moving their entire company to Gainesville I believe 2020.
    OMB :thumbsup:
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1
    2017 Santa Cruz HighTower C
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp
    2016 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBiker View Post
    I live up near that way and from what I hear these trails are primarily for the NICA competitions. Or were originally built for them but by now that could have changed somewhat. At the time I also understood this trail was built and/or sponsored solely by Fox who by the way is moving their entire company to Gainesville I believe 2020.
    Yes, all this is correct.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I didn't make it to the race a couple of weeks ago but I did go to the fundraiser on Saturday. Overall, it is a fun trail and I wouldn't hesitate to go back if/when they open the trails to the public. Here is a quick rundown. It is set up nicely where the easiest loop connects to the middle loop, which connects to the hardest loop.

Performance Trail (4 miles) - this is the loop the NICA teams race on. Fairly flowy, not a whole lot of elevation but not pancacke flat, either. Fun to loop around or tack on a few extra miles after your legs are already tired. Maybe 65% similar to Yargo and 35% similar to the Mill trails at Rope Mill.

Turbine (1.5 miles) - Adds some punchy climbs and a little more technical challenge, though still doable by a beginner who is up for a challenge. The most technical parts are some off-camber sections.

Factory (1.5 miles) - More technical and punchier. I was on a hardtail with Fastrack tires and was fine, but it was early in the day and pretty slippery from some overnight rain, so I was sliding around a good bit and wishing for more grip. I'd put the difficulty level somewhere around South Loop, but the climbs were shorter and packed together more, if that makes sense.

The whole ~7 mile loop was a little more difficult than I expected, but still fine for an intermediate rider on a hardtail (which is what I consider myself). The back loop is the type where moisture cranks up the challenge. One interesting thing is that you can hear the race cars going around the track, which is both neat and annoying.