Riding Pinelog WMA near Cartersville GA- Mtbr.com
    Village Idiot
    Jan 2018

Riding Pinelog WMA near Cartersville GA

Anyone every ride in there? I have read about such, have seen lots of MTB tire tracks in there, and ran across 2 dudes on bikes when I was hiking in there today.

I have ridden my bike from the DNR check station into the well-known old furnace along Stamp Creek in there a couple of times, and have hiked a good bit of it, but never done any of the epic rides, like up to the top of Pinelog, Bear or Hanging Mountains, or Sugar Hill. I'd be interested in trying some of that, and would like some 411, especially if someone has some gps track maps saved, so I can find the routes to the mountain tops, without too much guessing and bushwhacking.

I normally ride solo, and I am an old fart who doesn't want to slow down someone else and force them to wait on me. Plus, I am no athlete or "hammer down" rider. I ride to enjoy the journey, and never to see how fast I can do the ride. I walk a lot of uphills that happen to be both steep and long. Don't tell anyone, but I sometimes tend to rip the downhills, though. I jones for some adrenaline, every once in a while.

What I'm getting at is that I'm not asking to tag along on someone else's ride - just requesting some info.

Village Idiot
    Jan 2018
    Update: I found this page, which has tons of maps:

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...anagement-area

I will use those, but if anyone has ridden this and has their own maps saved or any other notes, I would appreciate the info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrider66 View Post
    Update: I found this page, which has tons of maps:

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...anagement-area

I will use those, but if anyone has ridden this and has their own maps saved or any other notes, I would appreciate the info.
    If you have a smartphone, download the MTB Project app. You can use it to track your location, and I now believe it can trace your route as you ride.

mtbr member
    I read the descriptions on MTB Project and while I am always game to try new trails to venture onto this one seems a bit out of MY riding skills/league! Wow. It says plain as day that those who are "unexperienced and/or out of shape" riders need to beware. lol. I'm not saying I am unexperienced BUT, I know my limits and after riding Monte Santo in Huntsville this past fall I have quickly learned that rocks and me don't get along very well!
    OMB :thumbsup:
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1
    2017 Santa Cruz HighTower C
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp
    2016 Specialized Rockhopper

Village Idiot
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBiker View Post
    I read the descriptions on MTB Project and while I am always game to try new trails to venture onto this one seems a bit out of MY riding skills/league! Wow. It says plain as day that those who are "unexperienced and/or out of shape" riders need to beware. lol. I'm not saying I am unexperienced BUT, I know my limits and after riding Monte Santo in Huntsville this past fall I have quickly learned that rocks and my don't get along very well!
    Yep - after doing more research, that is what has kept me from trying it. If I do try, then I will hike it first, on foot only. The uphills would be quite brutal, and the downhills would be fun, but quite dangerous, with all of the rocks.