Place to ride in Kissimmee Florida Orlando- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Place to ride in Kissimmee Florida Orlando

I going to Kissimmee Florida in February and want to know if there is anywhere to ride there, XC MTB or road bike as a last resort. (7955 Sea Pearl Cir Kissimmee, FL 34747).

I will be there for a week and I can't take my rides with me - please help.....

I'll need to rent a bike too, if anyone has any onto on that too.

Many thanks

turtles make me hot
    The last time I stayed in Orlando, I drove about 40 minutes to Loyce E Harp Park (Carter Rd) and had an awesome time.
    I think Balm Boyette is a little farther, but absolutely great riding.
    I like turtles

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    I going to Kissimmee Florida in February and want to know if there is anywhere to ride there, XC MTB or road bike as a last resort. (7955 Sea Pearl Cir Kissimmee, FL 34747).

I will be there for a week and I can't take my rides with me - please help.....

I'll need to rent a bike too, if anyone has any onto on that too.

Many thanks
    You have Soldiers creek and LBE (Little Big Econ National Forest or more commonly known as "Snowhill") over in the Oveido/Winter Springs area. The OMP (Orlando MTB Park is not quite finished yet, so no go there.

You then have Carter just southwest in the Lakeland area, and a bit more west is Alafia state Park, Balm Boyette, & Morris Bridge.

Just west of Kissimmee is Croom.

East of you is our local trails here in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area.

I would also say a few of the FL Wildlife Management areas near Kissimmee, but not a good idea due to it being hunting season.

Maybe I missed one in that area, though there are other ones, but further away (like Santos). So good luck and the best of vacation/visit.

On-On!

mtbr member
    I used to live in four corners about a mile down 192 from where you are staying. Carter Rd/ Loyce Harpe (sp?) will probably be the closest (probably around 45-50 minutes away). Santos will be a bit further (maybe 10 minutes).

Croom is also in a WMA, so, I would avoid that during hunting season, but that is just me. Also, it wouldn't be any closer than Santos or Carter Rd. Soldiers Creek (which was where I learned to ride growing up) isn't worth the drive from where you are staying, imo. Never ridden snowhill, but I hate going to the east side of town generally. Knowing it will take me as long to get there as Santos... hard not to go to Santos.

I've heard good things about renting from Kyles in Orlando. I know the trek shop here in Clermont rents bikes, but I don't like the people there, and I don't know what they rent (Clermont is way more focused on road bikes). I don't know any rental places in Lakeland (where carter rd. is). I do know that both the Santos Trailhead shop, and Greenway bikes do rent. I had a decent experience with renting a bike for someone at the Santos Trailhead shop, the only downside to which was they were pretty slow to release the hold they put on my debit card.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Try bents cycling in lakeland, really good shop but not sure if they rent. Also there is AJ's in Valerico, I know they rent.

mtbr member
    Only issue I can see with alafia and balm boyette (and thus AJ's) is distance, those being a longer trip than any of the other spots from where you are staying.

If you can get down to Alafia though, most definitely do. I rode there Saturday and loved every minute of it. I normally ride Santos because it is just about the closest to me, but Rollercoaster @ Alafia is now my favorite trail.

XXIX
    I would steer clear of Snowhill, last time we rode there it sucked. The trail is in disrepair and not marked so it could get confusing to non locals. Santos has bike rentals in the bike shops at the trail head so you would not need a bike carrier. Alafia/Balm-Boyette/Santos any one of them you cant go wrong. I have never ridden Loyce Harp(carter road) so I dont know. Enjoy
    14' Vassago VerHauen
    [URL="https://m.facebook.com/pages/Spruce-Creek-Mtb-Trail/572082766223954"]

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks everyone for the info, plenty to go on. Anybody know any good road bike routes there, some days I may just get a few hours to ride on the roads - anything to keep me my sanity while I'm there as a tourist.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info, plenty to go on. Anybody know any good road bike routes there, some days I may just get a few hours to ride on the roads - anything to keep me my sanity while I'm there as a tourist.
    You are in a really good location for road riding. You could, theoretically, ride right from where you are staying to some of Central FL's best road routes, but I personally wouldn't be riding on 192, and I don't think there are even sidewalks between you and 545 (which is maybe two miles west of where you are staying.

In any case, just tool around on google maps or map my ride, but an example would be: Head west on 192 to 545. Left on 545. Follow 545/Avalon Rd. North, crossing hwy 50. Shortly after crossing hwy 50, you will come to the west orange trail. A multi use rail trail. follow it right (east) for flat. left (west) for hills. From there you can't really go wrong, so have a ball. Also, there are several bike shops in Downtown Winter Garden on the trail, I would guess they rent. So you could park there (skipping the Russian roulette of 192, Rent a bike, head west to Clermont, hit the hills there which are accessible from the trail, head back the way you came to reward yourself with some tasty Thai Food, or burger and beer, or really whatever you want.

Feel free to PM me if you want.