Pinhoti 2, Pinhoti 3, Stanley Gap, Flat Creek = Dead FL Legs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good job! Pinhoti 2, Pinhoti 3, Stanley Gap, Flat Creek = Dead FL Legs

Went to N GA with a group of riding buds for the first time in 3 years. Mike from Cartecay Bikes was nice enough to drag us through the Pinhoti trails on the first day, and the following day was spent at Flat Creek and Stanley Gap, ending the day with a couple of Bear Creek shuttle runs. Two days of nothing but riding, WOOT WOOT ! Stanley Gap and the Pinhoti trails were new to us this year, so it was a really good time. We had ridden Flat Creek and Green Mtn, but never made it over to Stanley Gap before. The climbs at Stanley Gap were just incredible. Mountain laurel is blooming everywhere with a killer tunnel of it on the downhill section of Stanley Gap. We tried desperately to squeeze in Mountain Town Creek (rode it the last time we were up and it was epic), but just didn't have enough time.

We did the Pinhoti 2 backwards up to 52 and then back down. I thought I could taste my own heart at one point on the 6 mile climb! I am "sick to my stomach" jealous of those of you who have a short drive to these trails systems.

I wore the new off of my new Quiring Ti frame with a nice ding from a rock on the downhill at Flat Creek , but it will always be a pleasant reminder of the trip.

Thanks to those that responded to my request for trails to visit while we were there. Unfortunately, I am now sitting in my office in flat arse FL, and I should get back to work.

Go make a difference
    SWEET!!! I freaking love Stanley Gap. Tell me, did you go up Stanley from the fireroad side and drop into Flat Creek? That's the best way b/c then you don't do an out and back on Stanley. Did you get to do Green Mtn?

Sorry 'bout the dent, bro. That does suck, but it's good riding there nonetheless.

Where ya at in FLAUSA? I'm 'bout to move to Pensacola...found the PORC boys....good crew it seems. Can't wait to build a SS
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Yes, we did the ride from the gravel road parking area that is several miles down from the Aska parking area. We left a vehicle at the Aska lot so we could refill water and then hit Flat Creek. After doing the loop, we loaded up and drove back up to retrieve the other vehicle. The climbing right out of the Stanley Gap parking area is awesome. Very steep with nice loose rocky, rooty sections. We didn't make it across the street to Green Mountain this year. We did Flat Creek and Green Mountain the last time we were up and skipped Stanley Gap (big mistake).

I am from the Bradenton/Sarasota area and the rest of the crew are from the Tampa/St Pete area. You should have access to some nice trails around Tallahassee. It will be a bit of a drive, but Santos and Reddick in the Ocala area are some of the most technical trails in the state and we have Carter Road, Alafia and Boyette further south in the west central section of FL. Good luck with the move.

Here's a few more good sites for FL MTB info:

http://www.omba.org/
    http://www.ridgeriders.net/
    http://www.swampclub.org/
    http://www.mtbflorida.net/
    Last edited by Qfactor03; 05-22-2007 at 10:26 AM.

Al.
    Hooligan
    here's something to keep you company in sunny flat arse Florida.

(right click save as)

Stanley Gap - Low Quality Video- 46.7MB
    Stanley Gap - High Quality Video -118MB

Ride.
    Jul 2003

New question here. Video

Heyyy. Where'd your video go?
    Please re post. Thnx

Al.
    Hooligan
    well crap. A friend of mine was hosting that - I dunno where it went. I'll put it on utube or something. stand by.

Members who have read this thread: 0