Pinhoti 101- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pinhoti 101

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Pinhoti 101

Never ridden any of Pinhoti and that seems to be the trail system to end all systems in GA or the SE. It is a very overwhelming system though, because its so spread out over many miles instead of being a loop system (correct me if I'm wrong here). Is there any advise where to start.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    How about at the beginning?!

I have ridden the Snake Creek Gap 34 and what's known as P1, P2, and P3. All very highly recommended. They both can be looped with pavement/forest service as a very solid ride.

How long are you looking to ride for each visit?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Plan on vacationing in blue ridge this summer. I think the area you speak about is at the back door.
    2010 Lajolla lightweight aluminum cruiser

dlc
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yeah, p123 are 20 mins south of Blue Ridge. I live in BR. Bear creek and p123 are great. Easy to find and park. Look up mulberry gap. Bike resort in the middle of the trails. Also Stanley gap in BR is a must do. The whitewater center in copper hill is a blast as well. Pm me with any question or help u might need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You are right the Pinhoti system can be confusing and a bit overwhelming. We will be happy to help you with it. While vacationing in BR, feel free to park and ride from here and we'll give you a pocket map (What is locally called P1,P2,& P3 but the official trail guides refer to them differently as sections. If you want to attempt an end to end ride, we provide trail drops and pick ups at the end.
    The best map of the Georgia Pinhoti system is National Geographic map # 777. I don't believe they have mapped the western portion which is the Snake Creek Gap section and south to the AL line. There is a Chattahoochee National Forest map where that section is included. Be aware the Alabama Pinhoti trail which connects, is a foot traffic only trail.
    Mulberry Gap, home of the unique mountain bike destination

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...#!/mulberrygap

https://www.facebook.com/MulberryGapMountainBikeGetAWay

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thedood View Post
    How about at the beginning?!

I have ridden the Snake Creek Gap 34 and what's known as P1, P2, and P3. All very highly recommended. They both can be looped with pavement/forest service as a very solid ride.

How long are you looking to ride for each visit?
    From the beginning, HA. Sounds good to me. I'd ride all day if I could handle it, but probably 4-6 hours at a time. I went up and rode Dry Creek today just to test out the terrain and feel out driving to the area. I even got on the Pinhoti for about a mile. I love that area and the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    From the trails I mentioned you could loop the first 17 or last 17 of Snake Creek Gap in 4-6 hours, but unless you are a 1%'er looping both in under 6 is not realistic. It's been a since I rode P2 and P3, but I seem to remember looping those three is doable in 4-6.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You can loop Bear Creek, P1, P2 & P3 in 4- 6 depending on your level of climbing ability. Best to know the direction to ride the trails however.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Pinhoti maps

Found a great source for maps of pinhoti and lot of different trails.

gpt jpeg (new) Thanks Chris!

I'm probably going to try Dug Gap to Snake Creek Gap and work my way down, Than do the Blue Ridge Portion after that. It seems like the sections in between (Dalton to Chatsworth) are roads anyway. Not too interested in riding roads.

Members who have read this thread: 1