Ocala area trails? Santos & ?? novice/intermidiate trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ocala area trails? Santos & ?? novice/intermidiate trails?

Ok, so my trip will end up being shorter than originally anticipated ...so will only make it up to central FL.... Santos and what is the other trail in that area?

I want to be there Sun/mon / tues... but I heard one of those trails is not open during the week... anyone know which is that?

Also, after being off the mtb scene for 5-6 yrs, I realized at markham and oleta that I need more saddle time, , it was rougher than I imagined ... any beginner/newbie trails up there, other than a fire trail?

s. hit . my vacation crawled up on me (this wknd) and still have to get a direction where I am heading...

I am doing some search on Santos. I see three trails located apart from each other, landbridge trailhead, sw 49 ave trailhead, and horse park trailhead... Where do I start? On the map they don't seem near each other.

Should I just focus on Santos (3 days of riding) or go to another area, razorback, reddick, and ALafia I don't know if they are in the Ocala area. I dont' want to go north of there.

thanks

thanks
    Last edited by alexplantman; 09-09-2006 at 11:02 AM.
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

Feel Good About Hood

Focus on Santos...

For only 3 days, I would just stay at Santos. It has every level and type of riding. From the yellow cruisers to the tech vortex red loop to freeride drops, plus a skills area and pump track. Its a great place to learn (or relearn) and there are plenty of miles. Santos is where I got hooked (long before the great signage and facilities) and I have taken several newbs there and gotten them hooked as well, including my wife .

Razorback is near the town of Reddick and is only open on weekends and while I have not ridden there, from people I have talked to and what I have read it is best suited to intermidiate and up.

Alafia is a blast but closer to Tampa, and while there are some begginer level trails, IMHO, it's WAY more fun once you have some skills/confidance/experiance.

Santos main trailhead and campground is: 3080 SE 80th St., Ocala, FL, 34480.
    Just paste that in Google maps(or similar) for directions. Also, you will want to print out the Lindsay Bigelow's Quick Maps from: http://www.omba.org/Maps/Trail%20Maps.htm These are awesome maps. All the other trail heads are realatively close to each other, and if you have the fitness and water capacity you can do the full epic (my favorite) as it is not hard skill wise. Good luck and give us a report!

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    San Felasco, north of Gainesville in Alachua. About 1 hour north of Santos. 20ish miles of well maintained, fast singletrack.

www.sanfelasco.net

Where is my mind?
    From what you've said you may find Reddick and some of Alafia tough. Santos has some good intermediate trails. San Felasco is an excellent alternative. There are up to 24 miles of very scenic trails that range from easy to advanced intermediate. The canopy of trees makes it a particularly cool ride (temperature wise) compared to Santos. It's a lot of fun and you will get a really good workout.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

mtbr member
    WOW, thanks for the responses! This tip creeped up on me, to be honest, and I was focusing so much on NC / GA, and at the last minute I realized I best stick to central FL. I am going to stick to Santos... you think I'll get bored with it in threee days?

I went to get some riding shorts today with padding, but $70-$80 each! forget it ... Is there a bike shop up there were I can get some riding shorts on Mon, should I get sore from riding so much ?

I am psyched!
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedal/Paddle
    For only 3 days, I would just stay at Santos. ...........
    Santos main trailhead and campground is: 3080 SE 80th St., Ocala, FL, 34480.
    Just paste that in Google maps(or similar) ...us a report!
    There are alot of maps on the web page... where do I start? At the SE 80 st location you gave me? Will that give me acecss to all/most of the trails?

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by alexplantman
    WOW, thanks for the responses! This tip creeped up on me, to be honest, and I was focusing so much on NC / GA, and at the last minute I realized I best stick to central FL. I am going to stick to Santos... you think I'll get bored with it in threee days?

I went to get some riding shorts today with padding, but $70-$80 each! forget it ... Is there a bike shop up there were I can get some riding shorts on Mon, should I get sore from riding so much ?

I am psyched!
    There is a good bike shop "Santos Trailhead Bike Shop" that's 3 minutes from the trailhead going south on 441. I'm not sure what kind of deals you'll get if any, but you can check it out. As far as getting bored, I guess you'll find out.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

mtbr member
    Id be amazed if you got bored at santos, but if you do and are in the mood for a good beating, Alafia will give ya that. You could probably rent a really nice bike at the Santos Bike Shop. Have fun over there.
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

Members who have read this thread: 0