November road trip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

November road trip

A buddy and I are starting to plan a trip for the week after Thanksgiving. I will be driving from Greenville, SC and him from Jacksonville, FL. We will likely drove to one home or the other (most likely mine) so we are not leaving a car in a random place.

We are looking for a route where we can camp for two to three days and ride, and then go to anther place for a few days. We are looking for good trails, not Pisgah like but not Hannah park, something in between. Some climbing but not all day climbs. Technical but not where we feel like we might die. More cross country than down hill. I will be on a FS 650B and he will probably be on a hardtail 29'er.

If the weather permits, we will be camping. What are your recommendations?

Big Mac
    So, your buddy is driving up to Greenville, from fla? Is that the deal? Hard to tell from what you wrote. How’s about bent creek, DuPont, or tsali?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Where we meet will depend on where we go, but the likely starting point is my house in Greenville, SC. We have ridden DuPont, Pisgah and Tsali for the last 20+ years, so we are looking for something different, hence posting in this forum vs. the SC/NC forum.

We have ridden all over FL, Raccoon Mtn and Enterprise in Chat, Oak Mtn and Chewacla in AL, trails near Atlanta, Dalton, and Blue Ridge in GA, but that is about it in the states covered in this forum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mtpisgah View Post
    Where we meet will depend on where we go, but the likely starting point is my house in Greenville, SC. We have ridden DuPont, Pisgah and Tsali for the last 20+ years, so we are looking for something different, hence posting in this forum vs. the SC/NC forum.

We have ridden all over FL, Raccoon Mtn and Enterprise in Chat, Oak Mtn and Chewacla in AL, trails near Atlanta, Dalton, and Blue Ridge in GA, but that is about it in the states covered in this forum.
    No clue of how far you're willing to drive, but Greenville is about 12 hours from Northwest Arkansas, which would add a lot for him, coming from FL. Our trails conditions are generally good in November, though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Ridden Ellijay? Camp at Mulberry Gap.. nice camping quarters there

mtbr member

I assume in your north Georgia tours you've ridden Jake and Bull and the Pinhoti trails? If not I'd look at those.

You've covered most everything that I know. One that jumped out at me that you didn't mention was Coldwater Mtn, near Anniston, AL. That puts you back near Oak Mtn. I don't know about camping near Coldwater but Talladega National forest is not too far away.

I'd also look at the Tanasi trail system, near the Ocoee Whitewater center. That's where the Blackbear race is in the fall.

Huntsville, AL may also be a place to look. Monte Sano park has some trails. I've hiked some if it but never ridden there. This probably wouldn't be the first choice but if you're looking for something different....

Another thought would be Cloudland Canyon State Park in NW GA. May not have enough trails to keep you going for a couple of days.

mtbr member
    I have camped at Mulberry Gap and ridden that area a few times but do not think he has, so that is a good option. He has not done the Snake River Trail so we could hit that too.

It has been five years or more since we have ridden Jake and Bull so we that would be an option too if we go to Mulberry since it would be on the way relatively.

I forgot about Tanasi so that is a great option. We could hit Jack Rabbit too which neither of us have ridden.

Coldwater sounds promising since neither of us have ridden there, plus we could hit Oak while in the area.

Thanks for the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jack Rabbit is a fun ride.

If you're driving down I-85, Check out Paynes Creek for a warm up. On Lake Hartwell, its about ~9-10 miles of trail. (I'd guess you've ridden this though)

Another area you might look at is FATS near Augusta.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I have camped at Mulberry Gap and ridden that area a few times but do not think he has, so that is a good option. He has not done the Snake River Trail so we could hit that too.

It has been five years or more since we have ridden Jake and Bull so we that would be an option too if we go to Mulberry since it would be on the way relatively.

I forgot about Tanasi so that is a great option. We could hit Jack Rabbit too which neither of us have ridden.

Coldwater sounds promising since neither of us have ridden there, plus we could hit Oak while in the area.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I would recommend you go back to Oak, camp there and hit Coldwater 1 day and Sylaward in Sylacauga another day. No guarantees, but it will probably be slightly warmer there than in North GA that time of year. Both Sylaward and Coldwater are about 1 hour from Oak Mountain, Sylaward is a little closer. Coldwater is kinda rugged, has some long climbs and is technical in areas, but has really long descents that are very fun.

Sylaward is not technical, but is really fast and flowy. I usually like more technical trails, but I love Sylaward. It just flows so well, and it's almost never crowded. I think it's one of the top trails in the southeast.

mtbr member
    I'm all about Oak Mtn, since it's local for me, but it does seem way out of the way for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Lee View Post
    Sylaward is not technical, but is really fast and flowy. I usually like more technical trails, but I love Sylaward. It just flows so well, and it's almost never crowded. I think it's one of the top trails in the southeast.
    Perfect. Looks like my friend that I've started hiking with lives 15min from there. She has a hardtail, and wants to mtb some, plus I've been wanting an excuse to build my Yelli Screamy back up