Northeast Georgia Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Northeast Georgia Trails

Seems like thereís a ton of potential and very few good trails in the Northeast Georgia mountains. Itís only a little bit further to Pisgah, but feel like thereís a huge opportunity for backcountry riding in Georgia.

Has anyone tried biking on on or around any of the big peaks up that way e.g. Rabun Bald, Brasstown Bald, or any of the larger peaks with hiking trails? I canít find anything on the USFS site that says biking is explicitly not permitted in any of those areas or on the Bartram Trail, but hoping someone here has some good intel.

Village Idiot
    Jan 2018
    I lived in Blairsville several years ago. I did a ton of hiking in the area, but very little mountain biking, so I'm probably not much help.

However, I did ride at Jackrabbit. It is just across the NC line, near Hayesville, NC. The trails were really great, and I had a good time. Similar to Rope Mill and Blankets Creek in metro Atlanta, but far more wild and beautiful scenery.

Regarding riding hiking trails, I'm not sure if it would be legally possible, but I hiked the Arkaquah Trail a good bit. It goes from Track Rock up to Brasstown Bald. No way would I attempt the uphill part of that, after leaving Trackrock, as it is a brutal climb, even on foot. I think parts of it of it would be near impossible on a bike. But after the peak, there would be several miles of very rideable stuff, and I think that would be fun. There are several old dirt roads accessible from the Track Rock parking lot. I am pretty sure biking them would be perfectly legal - they are not named trails, but just old dirt USFS roads. It was fun to explore them hiking.

Then there is Slaughter Creel Trail from Winfield Scott Recreation Area. It was a relatively easy 2.5+ mile hike to the peak of Blood Mtn. Not sure if biking it would be legal, and I don't see anything saying that it is illegal. However, the last part of it nearing the peak is on the AT, and I imagine biking that is probably illegal. But you could park your bike and hike the last half mile or so (or maybe even push your bike).

Also, there are tons of miles and dirt roads (probably a lot of trails too) in Cooper Creek WMA. I think riding the dirt roads on a bike would be legal, but I'm not sure about the trails.

Sorry I wasn't of more help. Just explaining what I happen to know about the area.
    2016 Felt Decree 30

Cycologist
    I haven't ridden any of these but, looking on mtbproject, there are a few. There are some trails at Tallulah Gorge and Stonewall Falls nearby looks like a nice trail.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Stonewall Falls and White Twister in Clayton are good.

Trails in Tallulah Gorge SP are crap.

There are some good trails in the Lake Russell WMA in Cornelia.

Not much else in that area.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Has anyone done the Hickory Nut downhill? It sounds like it's Pisgah-level chunky, but seems like it could be overgrown.