Need some advice on bikes for newbies- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2019

Need some advice on bikes for newbies

Ok so I was told to post in this forum rather than where I posted originally. I guess it makes some people very upset when posting to a forum that you believe has meaning. So I apologize if some have seen this twice. Thanks for all the advice.

Hello I have ridden BMX back in the day, and at one time in the 90’s I had a Trek 930 single track mountain bike. I sold this like 5 years ago. I have since been married for 18 years and was thinking about a sport that my wife and I could enjoy together. I floated the question to my better half and she agreed that this would be fun. I have just turned 50 and she has turned 62. Yes, she robbed the cradle LOL. We are both in great shape although the peddling up a hill will be a different shape that we will have to get accustomed to, but are willing to start. I was into BMX as a child so I would like to re live some youth and take off on some jumps when the skill comes back. I have budgeted out about $1,500.00 each for our bikes. I was looking for bikes between the $800.00 to $1,500 ranges. We are wanting to start with hard tails as I heard this budget range could land us non cheap bikes that were made to last. I am for research and really enjoy it but not knowing the bike market in 2019 I thought I would reach out to the ones that know. I live in the Chattanooga TN area and have heard there are a ton of places easy, medium and some advance that we can enjoy. We are both wanting to do some easy track at first and advance to so jumps where we clear more than a foot LOL. I would like a good, tough bike. My wife saw a REI bike Ghost brand and I would like peoples take on this bike. Would this be a good starter bike? The color I must admit when it gets close to the grabber blue mustang color you have to like it. This bike retailed for about $899 so I figured, as a hard tail, this is probably middle of the pack. Am I correct? For mine I have been researching Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, and the most wanted Santa Cruz. I know the Santa Cruz is not in my range but I would save more to get that if it was close. Does Santa Cruz even make a hard tail in this or close to this price range? So far I think I would like a 11/1 drive train, 130 mm or less travel front suspension, 27+ tires, Dropper seat post. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated to help me become more educated to make a better selection when I go to buy my 2 mountain trail bikes

WillWorkForTrail
    I would recommend a local bike shop. Based on your profile, there are several near you. The trails available to you should also be quite good for beginners and allow you to progress some. I'm thinking specifically about Enterprise South and Bauxite canyon. I will not give you advice on bike shops, because I have a bias in your area (a shop owned by a friend of a friend who did me solid one time) but I'd say follow your gut - it sounds like you're open to shopping around, and while I know the one owner is a good guy, I don't actually know how his bike shop stacks up.

At the "far end" of the age spectrum, my nephew recently went shopping for his first non-walmart bike (he's 18 and figured he probably won't outgrow bike at this point - if he does, he's in trouble, because he's on an XL...) with a $1500 limit, and decided to go with the Giant Fathom. I think Trek also has a great hardtail out there in that price range. But the Fathom might be worth checking out simply because there's two versions of it - a 29" and a 27.5, which your wife may prefer. Come to think of it, she might like the Liv bikes which is Giant's women specific brand. Anyhow, good luck, and enjoy - you really do have great riding near you. I was in Chatt. a good deal of the summer working on a new trail at White Oak and stayed over near Raccoon and did a lot of after work riding there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Thanks I have seen some videos on White Oak it is where I want t get to not sure I will at 50 but you never know. Thanks for that advice. Out of the Specialized Stump jumper vs a rock hopper what is the different between those two bikes? I see a couple full suspensions at the $2400 to $2600 range. At this range for full suspension ok or would that full start at 3K for a decent bike? Thanks again.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by bemgolf View Post
    Thanks I have seen some videos on White Oak it is where I want t get to not sure I will at 50 but you never know. Thanks for that advice. Out of the Specialized Stump jumper vs a rock hopper what is the different between those two bikes? I see a couple full suspensions at the $2400 to $2600 range. At this range for full suspension ok or would that full start at 3K for a decent bike? Thanks again.
    I'm not going to be able to be a huge amount of help with specifics about bikes, mostly because when you start asking questions, there are usually multiple sub models to deal with, and I simply can't sort through all of them for you - but I think in the current specialized lineup, the rock hopper is a hardtail budget oriented bike, and the stumpjumper is a full suspension bike. In general, below $2K avoid full suspension bikes. Above that point, you'll start to find the things you want to see, especially if you want to jump - you want to be able to set rebound speed and compression damping on shocks, etc - talk to one of the folks at the shops you like - tell them where you are as a rider, and where you'd like to be - obviously buying one bike will be cheaper than buying a start then buying a nicer one. See what they recommend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Hey Thanks I have noticed on this forum you can ask a question and idiots will post a reply that has nothing to do with anything. You have to wonder are they are drunk or just not wanting to be helpful? I guess they finally graduated from grade school and are feeling it LOL. So I have researched and think the 2 bikes I am mulling over are the 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson 2.1 or a Giant Trence or Trence 2. Does any one have any experience and can answer a question with some meaning I would appreciate it. I am sure 4 year old's will reply LOL bless their little hearts.

WillWorkForTrail
    Some people on this forum like to make [email protected]$$ replies to questions to demonstrate their superior knowledge of a subject.....

I've ridden both of those bikes as demos. What's your question? I'll do what I can with it.

mbtr member
    Hey Thanks I have noticed on this forum you can ask a question and idiots will post a reply that has nothing to do with anything. You have to wonder are they are drunk or just not wanting to be helpful? I guess they finally graduated from grade school and are feeling it LOL. So I have researched and think the 2 bikes I am mulling over are the 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson 2.1 or a Giant Trence or Trence 2. Does any one have any experience and can answer a question with some meaning I would appreciate it. I am sure 4 year old's will reply LOL bless their little hearts.
    Yeah, the regular contributors are here for their own amusement, often being helpful is entertaining.

It's not fun to answer vague questions posed by someone who is preemptively insulting, so why bother?
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Actually, he nailed it, I'm drunk. Get the Trence.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    So questions about 3 bikes is vague. How to fly is vague, to compare 3 bikes to a new rider LOL could be easily answered. Also it depends on who is answering, as some have given great advice, why others looks like complete idiots. Go get your preschool diplomas LOL. I am stunned they can even ride bikes at how moronic some of the answers are. I guess why bother LOL what are the lazy even doing on forum LOL you have to wonder.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    LOL it just shows their true moronic nature LOL. The ones that think they know it all actually know nothing. This is probably why those replies are pointless and the ones that have given great answers are very educated and spot on. Thanks to all the great ones the morons can stay in your parents garage and wait for the dinner bell.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Some of us are just taking the piss. Don't sweat it. And if you would've mentioned your old lady getting a bike, too in the Christmas thread I'm sure it would have been a somewhat different story. There would still be Too Foolery. Sorry.

So I haven't seen in any threads a couple of tidbits that would make it helpful to answer some of your questions about specific bikes, although the age thing helps (sincerely).

What kind of riding do you really hope to do? Do you want to cruise through the woods and take your time picking through stuff? That's me, I'm a slow poke. Are you going for speed? Do you want to get air or hit drops? If you're in Chattanooga, what are the trails like around you (in the general forum, this is not apparent to all users)? I would imagine they're pretty steep and rocky. In that case, at y'alls age, full suspension might be quite nice, but for you it would feel unfamiliar, considering the bikes you've previously owned. Its quite a transition. If you're looking for familiarity there are dozens of rigid steel bikes that are amazing quality, and you'll get more bang for your buck than anything with suspension, but that's something you'd have to be willing to give up.

The nice thing about this particular forum is these folks may have ridden trails near you. Knowing that, they can really help you with the bike you need.
    dang

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Hey thanks that is by far the best answer yet in a month LOL. My wife and I are looking to find something we both enjoy. I think my riding along with my wife will be similar to yours. going through the trails and picking up speed when I finally get the comfort level to a point where I could push it a little. I would like to learn to jump above 2 to 3 inches and clear some jumps and not case them. I am a little ways away from this at this point, but moderate speed on a flow course, hitting a table top jump at some speed would be my goal when I finally reach this level. I was thinking about getting my wife either a Giant Liv intrigue 2, or a Giant Trance 3 for her bike and I am considering a 2019 last years model Santa Cruz Bronson S build they have a deal well not really a deal to me but from where the regular price start new its a better deal. Would these be ok for this type of riding and not having to buy another bike maybe ever? I say that lightly as I know my normal pattern. Thanks again for all the nice comments and direction in my selection process.

I have uploaded a picture of the bike I am seriously considering. I am not seeing this color anywhere online. Was this bike a custom built bike and is the price offered low enough. They said if I pay in cash they would come $100 off of the $3,199.99 this was $3,999.99 is what they are saying. The price seems reasonable for a santa cruze, the issue I am having is I have only located one other bike in this darker hunter green and wondering why? Its not even showing on Santa Cruz's website.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need some advice on bikes for newbies-post-pic-1.jpg  

NDD
    mtbr member
    I think if you guys are just beginning, those bikes should get you a good way down the skills building road, but you'll have to defer to others around here. I ride all rigid bikes, and the trails around me aren't as technical as many other places. This is great because I'm cheap. To me those seem like some pretty nice bikes.
    dang

WillWorkForTrail
    If you just want to know if those bikes are any good, I'd say yes. I'm not clear on exactly what you want to know about them, but I know your trails, and those will handle pretty much everything Chattanooga trails can throw at them.

Big Mac
    Hey thanks that is by far the best answer yet in a month LOL. My wife and I are looking to find something we both enjoy. I think my riding along with my wife will be similar to yours. going through the trails and picking up speed when I finally get the comfort level to a point where I could push it a little. I would like to learn to jump above 2 to 3 inches and clear some jumps and not case them. I am a little ways away from this at this point, but moderate speed on a flow course, hitting a table top jump at some speed would be my goal when I finally reach this level. I was thinking about getting my wife either a Giant Liv intrigue 2, or a Giant Trance 3 for her bike and I am considering a 2019 last years model Santa Cruz Bronson S build they have a deal well not really a deal to me but from where the regular price start new its a better deal. Would these be ok for this type of riding and not having to buy another bike maybe ever? I say that lightly as I know my normal pattern. Thanks again for all the nice comments and direction in my selection process.

I have uploaded a picture of the bike I am seriously considering. I am not seeing this color anywhere online. Was this bike a custom built bike and is the price offered low enough. They said if I pay in cash they would come $100 off of the $3,199.99 this was $3,999.99 is what they are saying. The price seems reasonable for a santa cruze, the issue I am having is I have only located one other bike in this darker hunter green and wondering why? Its not even showing on Santa Cruz's website.

So, is it the color you’re concerned about? Those bikes will be way more than you’ll need, but yes, they will leave room to grow. If you have the money, just buy them. They’ll be fine for y’all, though likely more than you need. Buy them, ride them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Hey thanks its not the color LOL that was interesting its the fact I go on Santa Cruz website and checked the color schemes from past to current and I do not see this color anywhere in there color schemes. I was just curious why that was before shelling out 3 grand on a bike. Thanks