N Georgia Boondoggle Monday - Where to go?- Mtbr.com
    \|/Home of the Braves\|/

N Georgia Boondoggle Monday - Where to go?

I'm boondoggling with some friends Monday and am wondering where to go. I have a large desire NOT to drive an hour and a half, push my bike through tons of mud, then drive an hour and a half back! Somehow actually riding my bike sounds more fun I'd like to ride something I haven't been on yet and have done Bull, Bear, Carter's Lake, and a few Ellijay trails. Does anyone have some gotta ride suggestions?

We may just end up shuttling between Gainsville trails...
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

paintbucket
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Upgrade Addict

Have you done Bear w/ Mountaintown thrown in?

Some of those Mountaintown creek crossings would be DEEP right now but that is my favorite ride in Georgia. It is about 20ish miles.

How about the ASKA road trails in Blue Ridge? There is a ton of riding options there. That one is another favorite of mine...

It is all going to be muddy after the weekend of rain it looks like we are going to get.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    That link does look fun. That's the same area as Bull Mountain...
    Big hoopy.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmre
    Some of those Mountaintown creek crossings would be DEEP right now but that is my favorite ride in Georgia. It is about 20ish miles.

How about the ASKA road trails in Blue Ridge? There is a ton of riding options there. That one is another favorite of mine...

It is all going to be muddy after the weekend of rain it looks like we are going to get.
    Yeah, I've been wanting to do Mountaintown but I do hear that the creeks wouldn't be very friendly as wet as it's been!
    Big hoopy.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    That link does look fun. That's the same area as Bull Mountain...
    Bunch of folks from that club did it last weekend I hear. Unfortunately I didn't hear about it far enough in advance to join them. If you go to the club forums where the planning was going on there's some alternative routes that'll knock off a little climbing and a little distance.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Red Rocker: FYI....

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    Yeah, I've been wanting to do Mountaintown but I do hear that the creeks wouldn't be very friendly as wet as it's been!
    I just checked the information line and it says that the Gainesville trails might reopen on Saturday morning, however, there is rain in the forcast for Saturday and Sunday and if that happens then the Gainesville trails will prolly be closed on Monday. Call before you go: (770) 718-9748. This number gives the status of the Gainesville trails as well as Blankets Creek and is updated within minutes of closing or opening.

As far as other rides go our SORBA Chapter is planning a big ride in DuPont Forest North Carolina on Saturday Feb. 28. We are doing the ride as a day trip. Seeing as how my computer dosen't want to copy and paste the email I'll give the basics:
    .................................................. ....................................
    Meet at the first rest stop in SC on 85N at 9AM, Saturday February 28th. We'll wait till 9:30 then we're off. We'll ride about 20-25 miles but that's up to you, there's always relatively easy access to the parking lot. Bring your lunch as this is in BFE with regards to food.

Questions? [email protected] I'll respond... really!
    .................................................. ....................................

Your welcome to join us if you like, should be fun. Don't worry about not keeping up or being out of shape, We wait for everybody and we are all out of shape because of the trail closures.

Tucker

I love Pisgah
    Dupont eh? Hmmmmmm....

Riding Mansell tomorrow. Rode da road yesterday. Actually got some good mileage in.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtail in Georgia
    As far as other rides go our SORBA Chapter is planning a big ride in DuPont Forest North Carolina on Saturday Feb. 28.
    That's my mom's birthday, and I can't think of a nicer way to celebrate. Can I maybe crash your party? Which parking lot at Dupont are you talking about?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Sure, ya'll are welcome.

Wooglin, not sure which parking lot. I'm not the one making the plans and I have never been there, All I know is we are meeting at the first rest stop in SC on 85N at 9AM. You can either send an e-mail to [email protected] and ask or page Scott a.k.a. AlloyNipples here on mtbr, it's his ride. The more the merrier.

mtbr member
    Tell me more about the Aska rd trails. I was looking at those in my Parham book last night. I am trying to decide on a good ride for Sat. morning before the mountain top finish of the TdG in Hiawassee that afternoon (or whenever). I usually ride in Pisgah, have never done any N. Ga except for Bull Mountain. Any general info/advice you can provide will be appreciated.

IJR
    I Just Ride

Sumac Creek and Ft Mountain trails

Sumac creek is great, way out there but worth it. The trails at fort mountain are good too. All of them are in the guide books. My personal favorite is the bear creek mountaintown creek loop.

Upgrade Addict

Aska Road

The Aska Road area is about 6 miles down Aska Road from Blue Ridge If you have the Parham book for North Georgia, look at the trail descriptions for Stanley Gap Trail, Flat Creek Loop, Green Mountain Trail (upper), Green Mt. Trail (lower), and Long Branch Loop. You can do a good ride that includes Stanley Gap and the Flat Creek loop. The best trailhead is Deep Gap. There are a some trails across the street, as well, that I have just ridden on a little bit. Here are some resources...

http://www.blueridgemountains.com/aska_trails.html
    Look at the trail ratings here, too.

I love Pisgah

me me me me me..I wanna go to!

YES! Stanley Gap/Flat Creek ride is my favorite "epic-ish" ride in Ga. Hands down. Just did an 'in and out' doing Stanley from Deep Gap to the otherside...then back again, then the Flat Creek loop that connected to it. Did it with AlloyNips and a few other Sorba dudes and dude-ets. Hell, lemme know and I'll met you guys there if ya want some company. Green Mtn is across the street, which can be a bonus ride, but...you'll prob be down by then tho. Stanley Gap trail can be a mofo for sure. Its also good after a rain, relatively speaking. We did it last a day or 2 after Christmas Day.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully the next time get a free day it doesn't rain that day and the previous week! Some time in March....

Also I need to do Mountaintown. I've done Bear a couple times and the trip down is fun fun fun.
    Big hoopy.

I love Pisgah
    Yes! Bear Creek is..ok. Have backpacked MtnTown a few times, but have yet to ride it. but I know the entire trail. Stanley Gap blows both away as far as I'm concerned. Endless steep ridgeline(very steep off ones side)singletrack. Lots and lots of it. Bear Creek is really all doubletrack except the little bit up top. Plus Stanley Gap is much much longer of a ride. I can climb Bear in about 45 minutes easy to the top p-lot. Takes what, 10 minutes down if your bomb'n it? Stanley and Flat Creek(it ain't flat)isn't nearly that time frame, either direction. Yes indeedy....