Looking to start mountain biking in Florida- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Looking to start mountain biking in Florida

Hey all. I live in Southwest Florida and am looking to get into mountain biking. My plan is to go all around the state and every so often go north and explore more trails, but primarily trails in south Florida (Alafia, etc).

My question for you all is with my budget/what I'm willing to spend on my first bike... I need help deciding between two bikes I've narrowed it down to. Not sure whether I want a 27.5 or 29er, but leaning more towards 29er.

1st bike is a 2018 Trek Marlin 5, 2nd is a 2017 Cannondale Catalyst 4. From doing my research, I think I like the Trek more. I will be going out to test ride each this weekend but just wanted to see if anyone here had some input on either model. Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from you all and start riding!

WillWorkForTrail
    Let the ride decide. Once you've ridden both, you should have a pretty good idea which one is right for you.

mtbr member
    I live up croom area close to santos in ocala! Like cotharyus said, try them out. I just recently got back into riding and rode about 10 bikes and just narrowed it down to the most versatile for myself. Also, Cannondale makes very solid frames, as i own one myself.

mtbr member
    For that budget the one thing you will probably not find is a full air fork. And a full air fork makes a lot of difference in the way a bike handles harder terrain.
    But either way check out these links.
    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...ls-in-florida/ I ride Alafia and Santos regularly (And I live in Jacksonville) I have spent a week at Markham, and a long weekend with the Swamp Mountain bike group at Tom Brown.. All great places. And here is the link to Swamp, they are a Tampa areas local group and many of their members live near and do trail maintenance at Alafia.
    https://www.swampclub.org/
    And here is a good shop near Alafia., https://www.ajsbikes.com/ They give discounts to Swamp members.
    Last edited by armii; 02-01-2018 at 10:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Have you ridden Alafia? Great trail system there.

mtbr member
    I recently moved to Southern FL and ha e a great entry level bike for sale that might be in your budget. Itís a DiamondBack Overdrive Comp 27.5 size Medium. I put an add up in the classifieds. Iíd like to get $500 for it if I can. Iím in Port Saint Lucie FL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk