Knoxville recommendations, without a 13 year old....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Knoxville recommendations, without a 13 year old....

I was in grad school at UTK in 2008-09 and used to ride Haw Ridge and IC King regularly. I haven't been back since. I'm headed up next Wednesday through Friday and would like to get a couple good rides in.

Are IC King and Haw Ridge still worth riding? Is the new stuff just south of town a better option? I mostly like XC style on a hardtail.

Any recommendations? Is the stuff south of town close enough to bike to from downtown Knoxville? I'll have a car, but would love to leave it behind if possible.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Hi there,

Yes, IC King and Haw ridge are definitely worth riding. Both are fun trails, I don't know how much they have changed since 2009 since I've only been in the area for 3 years.

There are numerous other spots to mountain bike around Knoxville though, Concord Park (just recently expanded), Ijams nature center, Norris Dam area, Norris Watershed (28 miles), Forks of the River WMA...and probably a few others.

For further info, I'd suggest googling them. The hardest part will be deciding which ones to ride.

Oh, we have had quite a bit (ALOT) of rain in the area recently. If it's raining during your trip, or right before you might be SOL since the ground is already saturated.

If you're looking for some one to ride with during your stay, Cycology Bicycles in Maryville has a very active MTB group. You can contact them on Facebook. They will probably have a group MTB ride on Thursday the 21st if you're interested. The location is usually announced on Wednesday.

Have fun!

Rob

Oh, you check out the trail conditions at AMBC's site: https://ambcknox.org/

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chello View Post
    I was in grad school at UTK in 2008-09 and used to ride Haw Ridge and IC King regularly. I haven't been back since. I'm headed up next Wednesday through Friday and would like to get a couple good rides in.

Are IC King and Haw Ridge still worth riding? Is the new stuff just south of town a better option? I mostly like XC style on a hardtail.

Any recommendations? Is the stuff south of town close enough to bike to from downtown Knoxville? I'll have a car, but would love to leave it behind if possible.
    IC King and Haw Ridge, along with a number of others, are good quick/around town rides. Between the three mentioned, I personally prefer South Knoxville trails due to volume and variety. As mentioned in the other response, rain/water saturation will likely be an issue with all of those systems. Some others in the area deal with rain and drain better; Sharps Ridge, Loyston, and Norris as examples.

Yes, you could ride from downtown to access the Urban Wilderness in South Knox pretty easily using Gay Street Bridge and connector streets or possibly the greenway and James White Parkway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I just glanced at the weather and it looks like Knoxvegas will get a little rain this weekend and then it's clear. If that forecast holds up, should I be good to go next Wed, Thurs, and Fri?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Well, looking at the title of your thread I would say Mouse's Ear or Emerald Club, although I wouldn't consider either place highly recommended.

mtbr member
    May 2018

The weather looks PRIMO!

Quote Originally Posted by Chello View Post
    I just glanced at the weather and it looks like Knoxvegas will get a little rain this weekend and then it's clear. If that forecast holds up, should I be good to go next Wed, Thurs, and Fri?
    Yup, as of right now I don't see any rain in the forecast, so the trails should be primo by then.

But, I would keep an eye on the forecast...any weather forecast that far out is almost guaranteed to change in this area.