Knoxville bike rental?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Knoxville bike rental?

I will be visiting Knoxville for a job interview, and possibly moving to the area, so I would like to check out the local trails. Can anyone recommend a shop for renting a good trail or all mountain bike? I will be bringing my own helmet, pads, and pedals; I just need a good bike for a few days.

Bonus points if itís the type of shop that will also help me get to the right trails. Iím particularly interested in checking out the ďurban wildernessĒ and the devilís racetrack. Thanks in advance for any recommendations or advice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah man, check out Harper's Bikes. I believe they rent Santa Cruz demo bikes and Ibis bikes. Call in advance just to clarify (in case I'm wrong), ask for Sean, dude is part owner and a great guy. I'm sure he'll help you out.

Also, the urban wilderness will blow you away! Great riding there, so much fun there. Also not far from Ashville and Pisgah/Dupont riding. Knoxville is a really a great town and I think you'll love it there. You pretty much ride there year round. Might get couple inches of snow a year but that's it. Ride on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Yeah man, check out Harper's Bikes.
    Thanks, Rev. 14, I will definitely hit up Sean and see what they have there. Can I ride directly to some urban wilderness connection from their shop? Iím not sure Iíll be able to fit a bike into my rental car. I know thereís lots of excellent riding in the greater area, but my main goal is to get the layout of the urban wilderness, which will inform where in town I might try to live if I do end up moving.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Cedar Bluff Cycles has a good selection of Trek demo bikes and can hook you up with all the info you need for Dirty South/Urban Wilderness riding. Like Rev.14 said, there's a lot of great riding in the area, and you don't have to go as far as Asheville/Pisgah.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalifly View Post
    Can I ride directly to some urban wilderness connection from their shop? Iím not sure Iíll be able to fit a bike into my rental car.
    Sorry for the late response. No, the shop is about 10 minutes from the urban wilderness area. You probably found that out by now as you went to your interview. I hope it went well for you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Sorry for the late response. No, the shop is about 10 minutes from the urban wilderness area. You probably found that out by now as you went to your interview. I hope it went well for you!
    No problem, and thanks for the info! I learned an important lesson about the area, which is that most places are closed on Sunday. Fortunately, River Sports Outfitters was open, and even though they seem mostly oriented towards climbing and water sports, I was able to get a rental bike from them, which did fit in my rental car, and I had a great ride.

I parked at Anderson school (as suggested by mtbproject.com) and rode the whole loop. I spent the first part of my ride checking out all the side trails in the Hastie area, then Marie Meyers, where it seems like they are almost finished putting in an impressive amount of trails. Then I made it over to Baker Creek, which seems to be the crown jewels of the area, and spent a bunch of time exploring every square inch. I spent so much time there that I couldnít check our any other side trails on the loop, but it looks like thereís a lot more to explore, especially around that southern area with the trails named AC/DC and chain ring.