Knee or Elbow Guards Needed for Bentonville Area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Knee or Elbow Guards Needed for Bentonville Area?

Heading to Bentonville at the end of May for a bike trip. Have heard lots of great things about the local trails. Do I need elbow and knee guards to ride the trails? Was suprised when a friend who visited said he would have guards if he went back. I'm a skilled mountain biker who is rides weekly and doesn't use anything knee or elbow protection currently. Most of my riding is in the midwest on Illinois trails. If there is a crash it is typically on dirt instead of rocks.

mtbr member
    AR has sharp and hard slate, lots of it...think arrow heads. At a minimum I would say knee guards are a good idea. Even if you are a laid back rider it only takes one slip or mispedal to go down. Elbow pads may be over kill, but definitely good insurance with knee pads.

For dirt/sandy areas I ride I don't wear knees, but anytime I'm on limestone, slate, or any other type of rocky areas the kyle straits come out. Seen too many guys take out knees on what looked like a simple climb or skinny. I've been lucky, but I'll damn for sure be covered just incase that luck runs out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nah, if you don't wear that gear currently, you won't need it for any or most trails in Bentonville. I don't wear anything either, but I mainly ride xc hardtails. There is a section at slaughter pen with lots of dirt jumps, and other man made drop offs and such.
    At what point did you decide you needed more than 1 gear?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you plan on hitting up Coler Park and Slaughter Pen's free ride, then yes on the knee pads. If you're just riding Back40, most likely not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I would recommend pads for Coler as it is full of big jump lines and techy rock gardens. Most everything else can be ridden without pads. The exception is I would consider pads if you ride “The Ledges” on the Back 40 because there’s a few tight spots with consequences if you go over the side. Also, Slaughter Pen has always been pretty XC, but the powers that be seem to be making a concerted effort to spice things up. If you ride some of the newer features in phase 2 like Apple Turnover or Schroen Train, I would recommend pads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    As others have indicated, it's not really a requirement and a lot of it depends on your preferred riding style and terrain. If you're mainly hanging at Coler and flying through rock gardens on your enduro rig, then I'd go full face and pads. If you're just riding normally and wanting to check out a bunch of different terrains, you'll likely be fine without pads.

I don't wear them currently. Of course, I also dismount and walk my hardtail without a hint of shame. I'm about to upgrade to a FS bike and planning on getting more aggressive, and I"ll likely also be purchasing pads as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I won't ride without them here, knee and elbow. I had a momentary lapse in concentration and went down softly on one of our easiest trails. Just hit a sharp rock in the trail, we have lots of them all over the place, and put a major gash in my elbow. For me it's not speed or trail type dependent as much as it is the geological makeup and potential to slice like a knife.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I just got back from a trip to Bentonville and I bought knee pads at Mojo Cycling. Let's just say I'm glad I did and elbow pads would have been nice too... I also suggest some bacon strips to plug holes in your tires if you are tubeless. There are all types of riding in that area so have fun.