Keeping your feet warm.... ??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Keeping your feet warm.... ??

I live in central Florida, rode last night from 5:30 to 7:00. Had insulated long bike pants, long sleeve and short sleeve shirt on. Two pairs of bike socks. The temperature by 7:00 was down to around 40. I was cold when I finished, but by far the worst part was my feet. My toes felt like ice cubes! You can only fit so many pairs of socks in bike shoes.
    Any tips for keeping your feet warm in cold weather?

Trailhead Poseur
    I have a pair of neoprene shoe covers like these that I put on when the temps drop below 50. I ride at Snowhill after work 3-4x per week, and these are working pretty good for me.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

psycho cyclo addict
    I generally wear dense wool socks with Sidi Dominator shoes down to ~45 deg. F. Like jjaguar said, neoprene covers can be a big help though I find the bottom of my shoe gets really cold over time, even with them on.

Colder than that (particularly with wind), I wear Northwave Celsius GTX boots. I commuted to work today with 2 pairs of wool socks on. It was 6 deg. F this morning. Only place I felt the bite of cold was on my orbital bones (scarf was covering most of my face).

For 2+ hour rides in the woods, I add toe warmers.

mtbr member
    times like this, I really see the temperature tolerance difference from different areas of the US. If the weather is over 50 in Kansas City, I'm normally wearing shorts. For shoes, I wear the skateboard style SPD shoes. They don't have any air vents.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Over the winter I use duct tape to close up the vents in my shoes from the inside. It helps a little.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    I have a pair of neoprene shoe covers like these that I put on when the temps drop below 50. I ride at Snowhill after work 3-4x per week, and these are working pretty good for me.
    I just ordered a pair. That's my impression, that it's the wind blowing through the venting that's making my feet cold. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    times like this, I really see the temperature tolerance difference from different areas of the US. If the weather is over 50 in Kansas City, I'm normally wearing shorts. For shoes, I wear the skateboard style SPD shoes. They don't have any air vents.
    I hear ya. I spent the first 42 years of my life in Vermont. THAT was cold.
    But.... 50 degrees out in the sun and 50 degrees (or 40) in the black of night are not the same. And for people that were raised in a warm climate, yeah their opinion on what's cold and what's not, when you first step outside, is different from someone that was raised in a cold climate. But as you spend more time outside in the cold, that tends to be an equalizer, IMO. 1 and a half hours at 40 degrees, at night, at ~ 10 mph feels cold for just about everyone, I would think.

Trailhead Poseur
    I'm from Canada originally and spent my winters snowmobiling and ice fishing, so I rememeber what real cold is like. But I've been here in Orlando long enough that I'm fully acclimatized to the climate. It goes both ways, too. I also run, and in the summer I see people up north complaining it's too hot to run when the temps hit 80, while I think 80 is comfortably cool.

You'll probably find those shoe covers to be perfectly adequate for Florida winters. A problem we have down here is it doesn't get cold enough, for long enough, to really justify springing for full cold-weather gear. Low to mid 30's are the coldest overnight lows we ever get, and that only lasts for a couple of weeks in January.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    I'm from Canada originally and spent my winters snowmobiling and ice fishing...
    Wow, big difference going from Canada to Orlando, FL. Climate, culture, many things.

I'll try the booties next week on my night ride and post back here.