How's Duluth area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

How's Duluth area?

What's it like living in Duluth or metro areas around Atlanta?
    Looking to potentially leave where I am at (Boise).
    Without going a lot into me, or why, or my background, etc - I'll just say I want to be in a warmer place, with friendly people, single women to date (to lead to something hopefully), good quality mountain bike trails, job prospects that are pretty darn good, and low cost of living (why I picked Duluth vs. actually in Atlanta).

Probably looking to leave in early spring when my temporary position is over.

Thanks for what you can offer!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Rides shared with friends: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I live a little bit south of there, in the Norcross area. As far as riding goes, depending on where in Duluth you are you will have a few trail systems within a 30 minute or so drive, a few more within about an hour, and 1.5 to 2 hours from riding in North Georgia. The qualification on all of that is traffic. If you are trying to head to Chicopee during afternoon rush hour, for example, multiply everything by a factor ranging from 1.5 to infinity. Duluth is a family-type community with some retirees. There is also a big Korean population in the area - if you like Korean food, you can find some great stuff in Duluth. I don't know the age of single women that you are targeting, but singles on the younger end, never married/no kids tend to congregate inside the perimeter (I-285), so you might find the dating prospects a little weaker around Duluth. If you are more after the 40+ crowd, that tends to be spread out in the suburbs a bit more. Duluth does have a nice little revitalized downtown area with a growing social scene. If at all possible, figure out where you will be working, and try to find a place to live that is compatible. Coming from Boise, I assume the cost of living will be a good bit higher here. However, you might be able to find something in the Chamblee area that is comparable cost-wise to Duluth.

Feel free to fire away with any other questions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Boise to Duluth will be a real shock, from trail access, and from TRAFFIC. I lived in Suwanee area for a few years, and there's nothing really close to there for riding, a few things within 30 min. As stated above Traffic to work and to the trails can be a bear. Beware of the cheaper neighborhoods around there too, some are pretty sketcy, or very volatile in pricing. If I were a single mountain biker looking to move south for work, I'd look in Chattanooga TN, Greenville SC, Asheville/Brevard/Hendersonville, NC to name a few places. I'm really enjoying Auburn, AL too, but job prospects are fewer, and I've heard it's a tough place to be post college and single.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Just saw this a minute ago: https://www.thrillist.com/state-of-the-suburbs/atlanta

DULUTH
    Shopping, entertainment & Atlanta’s own K-Town
    Spanning 10 square miles with a population of nearly 30,000, Duluth, located 30 miles northeast of Atlanta in Gwinnett County, is chiefly known as the home of Gwinnett Place Mall. Chain retailers such as Macy’s, Foot Locker, Sears, and Express make it a destination for weekend shopping, while Infinite Energy Center brings concerts and theatrical performances to the city. (This year, highlights include the stage rendition of Annie and Josh Groban.)

Notably, a tight knit immigrant community has emerged in Duluth, particularly Korean-Americans and Latin Americans, so much so that a corridor of Pleasant Hill Road is known as Koreatown. Choose from a smattering of Korean BBQ options, such as Honey Pig or Jang Su Jang, Korean spa Jeju Sauna, and Super H Mart, an Asian grocery selling hard-to-find food items.

Other notable attractions (and reasons to consider making Duluth your homebase): the Duluth Arts Festival in the spring; the weekly Food Truck Friday held May through September, featuring a rotating lineup of vendors and live entertainment; and Town Green, a central gathering spot downtown with a fountain and picnic areas for the warmer months.
    I think it is B.S. though. Gwinnett Place mall is a dying relic, not a destination for anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Chattanooga, Asheville, and Greenville are all great towns. I'd live in any of them in a heartbeat if work allowed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Also don't discount the culture aspect. While metro Atlanta can boast lots of culture (Sports, Festivals, etc) the northern suburbs like Duluth are pretty vanilla. I'd dare say more boring than almost any town I've visited in the mountain west.

If you have the time, I'd spend at least a long weekend in any place before you commit to moving there, regardless of what folks say about a place and regardless of what job you could land there. I've moved 4 times for work, and over those moves I've found places where the work was great and the town sucks, and I've found places where the work sucked but the town was awesome. Neither is a good situation, you've got to have balance.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by dunleavy View Post
    Just saw this a minute ago: https://www.thrillist.com/state-of-the-suburbs/atlanta

I think it is B.S. though. Gwinnett Place mall is a dying relic, not a destination for anything.
    Yeah, you know they are reaching when they say it's chiefly known for a mall! That would definitely knock a place off of my list, I hate malls.

Not my side of town. As mentioned, where you work is key; you can easily get stuck in a miserable drive morning and evening. And traffic is getting worse and worse, some places seem to be non-stop (or I guess I should say non-go). I'm on the NorthWest side of Atlanta, in Marietta. It's very suburban. You might consider going further north to Kennesaw or Woodstock if you can avoid a job that has you traveling South into Atlanta. 15 minutes to Blanket's Creek and Rope Mill for mountain biking, two very popular local trail systems. They attract big crowds but handle them very well. And you can jump on 575 and get up to Elijay for some more mountainous riding in less than an hour.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I think Kennesaw would be a better fit, depending on what kind of work you do. Commuting into Atlanta is a nightmare, but if you can work out there or in Marietta you'd be in good shape.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Timzjatl View Post
    If you have the time, I'd spend at least a long weekend in any place before you commit to moving there, regardless of what folks say about a place and regardless of what job you could land there. I've moved 4 times for work, and over those moves I've found places where the work was great and the town sucks, and I've found places where the work sucked but the town was awesome. Neither is a good situation, you've got to have balance.
    Truth right there!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Rides shared with friends: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Atlanta suburbs are pretty boring but if you're older and don't care about city nightlife and culture you might not care as much. The suburbs are also incredibly car dependent with the only bike infrastructure focused on recreation, not riding to the grocery store or bike commuting.

I'm a total ITP snob but worked in Suwanee for the last few years and the reverse commute is a great way to minimize time in traffic. ITP wilds are rad if you're the type of person who wants to roll out of the door and hit dirt within a few blocks, good janky XC trails that are easy to link up with minimal pavement. Easy access to Cochran Mills, Georgia International Horse Park, and Coldwater Mountain but farther from the North GA mountains.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Don't get me wrong. Duluth is as good as any other Atlanta suburb, and their little downtown area is becoming pretty nice. However, Gwinnett Place mall is a pretty miserable place and not how I'd sell the town.

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!
    If you are looking for more of a small town feel, both Smyrna (Cobb County) and Roswell (Fulton County) are bike friendly (road anyway), have reasonable housing costs, and are not a horrible terrible commute to ITP. There is a new mtb park coming to North Cooper Lake Park in Smyrna in 2019 along with several miles of XC trails. You can also get on the Silver Comet Rail Trail and ride to Alabama car free if you want. Roswell has Big Creek Park with about 6 miles of trails and the Alpharetta Greenway. Both are about 45 minutes from Allatoona, Rope Mill, Blanket's Creek, and Cochran Mill.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadlebred View Post
    There is a new mtb park coming to North Cooper Lake Park in Smyrna in 2019 along with several miles of XC trails.
    There is? Got any info on it?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    There is? Got any info on it?
    https://www.smyrnavision.com/request...ain-bike-park/

That's an old link. From what I was told: They are waiting on final grant funding, which should arrive by year's end. There is already a 1 mile trail in the park (old motocross trail), and several mountain bikers have seen the trails company the city has hired to build the park out there marking trees and doing final trail planning. There will a MOU with the local SORBA chapter, but most maintenance will fall to the city's parks dept.

The perfessor
    - lived in this area most of my life; yes, some parts of Duluth are high-end, medium, and low-end (I work just off Pleasant Hill Rd.)......Harbins Park is a decent ride for single-speeding; you also have a choice of Ft. Yargo & Chicopee, both pretty decent riding destinations, Big Creek in Roswell (about 20-30 minutes from Duluth), Blanket's Creek / Ropes Mill Parks........ further out, within 3 hrs., you can reach some sweet NC rides, plus Jake / Bull mts., and there's always the Pinhoti Trail system about 3 to 3 1/2 hours away.......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 Hybrid Bike