Hocus Pocus trail - Allatoona Creek park - metro Atlanta GA (USA)- Mtbr.com
    Village Idiot
    Jan 2018

Hocus Pocus trail - Allatoona Creek park - metro Atlanta GA (USA)

I rode Hocus Pocus for my first time, this morning. Wow - what a trail.

Very difficult trail for me. Probably pretty challenging for anyone. I doubt that anyone could honestly call it an easy trail. Lots and lots of potential for crashes. Lots of rocks (big ones). Lots and lots of roots (I hate those). Lots of gnarl. Tight and twisty. And the worst (or best) part - it is a 12.7 mile total ride for the 5+/- mile Hocus Pocus (the maps and signs lie about it being 4 miles long).

0.2 miles in, I had a pretty rough crash, caused by me spinning out my back wheel on some uphill gnarl. I thought I broke my arm, as I rolled down the hill. Bruised the crap out of it and gouged my shin on the pedal, but I took inventory and continued on my ride.

I think there are probably 2 reasons that it is so difficult to get to: 1) Making access easier would involve cutting an access trail to get to it. 2) Making access challenging keeps away the less-than-serious riders, for various reasons. But it sure would be nice to park nearby and just ride a short trail to get to Hocus Pocus. All by itself, it is quite a ride. Throw in a connector trail, Mumbo Jumbo, and difficult Voodoo just to get to/from it, and it makes for a few (or several) hours of riding. Starting my ride at 9am, I thought I would be back before lunch (I live less than 3 miles away). Wrong. I didn't get back home until nearly 1:30.

Yes, even a 53 year old on a 19 year old bike can ride this trail. Well - I rode most of it. I did get off of my bike a few dozen times to walk across some natural obstacles that were either too difficult for me, or because I thought they were too dangerous for me.

In comparison, Voodoo is easier. Voodoo is challenging mainly because of the man-made obstacles put there. Hocus Pocus is mostly all natural obstacles, and they are difficult, in and of themselves.

Gonna be a while before I ride it again. The whole shebang took quite a toll on my beat up old body.
    2016 Felt Decree 30

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice write up. I wanted to ride Hocus Pocus when I was visiting ATL back in March but it was closed due to flooding. Glad to hear itís open again and I hope to ride it the next time Iím in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cycologist
    I told you it's a great trail!
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Village Idiot
    Jan 2018
    It really was an epic ride. I will be sore for another day or two. I imagine my crash has something to do with that.

Hocus Pocus is the most difficult trail I have ever ridden. If I had been wearing my full-face helmet, and some elbow and knee pads, I wouldn't have stepped off of my bike so many times. It's gonna be a while before I ride it again, if I ever do.
    Last edited by Outrider66; 06-08-2019 at 05:20 PM.
    2016 Felt Decree 30

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    After riding DW, hang a right instead of your normal left to go back to the bridge (or Flaming Wildcat as well now). Follow the road, climb the rutted out section and you will very quickly hit the east side of HP. Hang a left for CW days, hang a right for CCW.

If you miss it, you will soon hit the west side of HP. You need to be on your toes to make sure you don't miss the first crossing then end up going against traffic joining the second. If in doubt, go back.

If a CW day, you will hit the first Voodoo-HP junction pretty quick, stay right. If a CCW day, this back entrance basically gives you the full tour before you get back around, just remember to go past the junction with Voodoo and hang a right off the trail and onto the road to get back to DW and the bridge.

Make sure you listen for incoming either way before joining HP.

Village Idiot
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManSS View Post
    After riding DW, hang a right instead of your normal left to go back to the bridge (or Flaming Wildcat as well now). Follow the road, climb the rutted out section and you will very quickly hit the east side of HP. Hang a left for CW days, hang a right for CCW.

If you miss it, you will soon hit the west side of HP. You need to be on your toes to make sure you don't miss the first crossing then end up going against traffic joining the second. If in doubt, go back.

If a CW day, you will hit the first Voodoo-HP junction pretty quick, stay right. If a CCW day, this back entrance basically gives you the full tour before you get back around, just remember to go past the junction with Voodoo and hang a right off the trail and onto the road to get back to DW and the bridge.

Make sure you listen for incoming either way before joining HP.
    I'm confused. There is significant water to cross between DW and VD/HP. Have they added a new bridge somewhere, or do you wade somewhat deep water and carry your bike across?

Also, is Flaming Wildcat open yet? Last time I rode DW, I didn't see any new markings.
    2016 Felt Decree 30

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Good question and now that I look at the map, I am trying to remember how it crosses the creek. There can be one wet area if there has been significant rain but nothing that could not be ridden. Just follow the same road DW is on but instead of turning on DW go right on past.

Next time I am there, I'll head that way and report back.

I do not believe FW is "officially" open but it is being ridden. It is going to be good, very similar to the flow portions of Mumbo with a little more climbing thrown in with big berms and quite a bit of off camber corners.

Village Idiot
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManSS View Post
    Good question and now that I look at the map, I am trying to remember how it crosses the creek. There can be one wet area if there has been significant rain but nothing that could not be ridden. Just follow the same road DW is on but instead of turning on DW go right on past.

Next time I am there, I'll head that way and report back.

I do not believe FW is "officially" open but it is being ridden. It is going to be good, very similar to the flow portions of Mumbo with a little more climbing thrown in with big berms and quite a bit of off camber corners.
    Did you have a chance to get back out there again? I would definitely ride HP again, if I didn't have to make the whole thing a 12.7 mile ride.

I rode FW this morning. It is just like you described. Freaking fantastic trail. More difficult than Mumbo Jumbo, at least to me. MJ has longer hills, but FW takes more skill to ride.
    2016 Felt Decree 30