Headed to Florida (ocala/orlando)...Interested in Riding and tips on where to stay...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Headed to Florida (ocala/orlando)...Interested in Riding and tips on where to stay...

Hi all....

I'll be in Florida in February for the Golf Industry Show in Orlando and I'm planning on grabbing a rental car and heading up to Santos to ride all day on Friday the 10th.

I've got a friend that stays on the coast about an hour away all season while training (motocross) and he might be joining me with a bike to borrow.

If he can't make it, I'll rent one from Santos bike shop at the trail head...already spoke with them and they seem like good guys.

So.... Anybody want to show me around the place? I've never been. The map looks pretty tame, but I always welcome a local opinion and it's fun riding with people. I'm not slow, but i'm certainly not the fastest XC racer either... I'll probably be on a hardtail or short travel FS 29er.

Bonus... I'll probably nab an Airbnb that night...if anybody has any hot leads on a place between Ocala and Orlando that for sure has a nice hot shower for a sweaty mountain biker and also won't murder me in my sleep, I'd appreciate the tip. I've never had any trouble with airbnb and it's kind of fun, but you never know. And hotels gross me out...

Thanks in advance!

Hi There!
    Have you tried the OMBA Facebook page? Good people there.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Santos is a great place to ride, probably the best in Florida, but from Orlando, Alafia River State Park might be a little closer, (depending on where in the Orlando Area you will be.) and it is probably the second best place to ride in Florida. Check out the SWAMP webpage and facebook page, they take care of trails at Alafia.

and right near there is also Balm Boyette trails and carter rd/Loyce Harpe Park trails.

I will actually be riding Alafia 7th - 9th

Omba, Ocala Mountain Bike Association - Home

Swamp SWAMP Mountain Bike Club Trails in Florida

Santos is only two hours from me, so often it is a day trip for me, but last time I stayed there it was at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ocala, clean and cheap.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Santos is awesome. If you were going to be there on the the 5th or the 12th I would gladly show you around. A small group of us from the Tampa area are already planning to be there on the 5th.
    Flotilla or Buffet.

mtbr member
    After thinking about it, I'm off next Wednesday 1/25, weather is supposed to be decent, I'm taking a day trip to Santos.

mtbr member
    So how did the ride go?

mtbr member
    Tell ya what.... it was really fun. I was way too excited to ride after standing around all week at a trade show. between that and the fact that Florida is flat, I was totally out of control speed wise.... took off like a rocket and got turned around a few times so by the time I did the Nayles loop, I was hurting a bit. I didn't bring nearly enough food and ran out of water on the way back about 5 miles from the trailhead at the bike shop, but overall....was awesome. I don't necessarily prefer the flat type of trails but it was a nice change of pace for sure and the weather was gorgeous. Nayles trail was my favorite. Next time I'll try to stay on course a little better and so two laps on that one before heading back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a a r o n View Post
    Tell ya what.... it was really fun. I was way too excited to ride after standing around all week at a trade show. between that and the fact that Florida is flat, I was totally out of control speed wise.... took off like a rocket and got turned around a few times so by the time I did the Nayles loop, I was hurting a bit. I didn't bring nearly enough food and ran out of water on the way back about 5 miles from the trailhead at the bike shop, but overall....was awesome. I don't necessarily prefer the flat type of trails but it was a nice change of pace for sure and the weather was gorgeous. Nayles trail was my favorite. Next time I'll try to stay on course a little better and so two laps on that one before heading back.
    Glad you had a good time,, I usually stick around the intermediate trails, Cow Bone, Dr. Ruth, Bunny and some of the advanced, Vortex and John Brown.

mtbr member
    How do some of these trail networks hold up when it has rained a day or two prior? OK to ride or do they need some time to dry out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    How do some of these trail networks hold up when it has rained a day or two prior? OK to ride or do they need some time to dry out?
    The sandy trails are usually better after a rain, the rest usually hold pretty up well unless it is a real heavy storm, which is not all that unusual in Florida.

down at Alafia last week it rained Monday and Tuesday night and Tuesday riding was fine, Wednesday a couple of the advanced trails were too wet, and we had to avoid a puddles here and there on the intermediate trails.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Alafia wet (or even damp) can be a slip and slide when you hit those clay patches!