Got chased by a bobcat in ocala and lost in withlacoochee...!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Got chased by a bobcat in ocala and lost in withlacoochee...!

So i started my morning out at Santos(vortex/OMBA) in Ocala National Forest around 10-11am. I started my bike ride down the paved trail at Santos campground. Rode about 1mile until i heard a rustling behind me in the woods. So i stopped and look back and sure as hell, a bobcat comes crawling out of the woods.From my position to his was about 35-40ft away. I started backing up on my bike and he started crouching towards me so i started making loud noises and clapping and he ran away. So i left and hit up withlacoochee forest bike trail....then i got lost for 4hrs until a wonderful guy in a jeep drove me back to the truck. LONG STORY LONGER, pay attention when riding alone, and buy a handheld GPS so you're not in my position.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    How big was the Bobcat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Right around max like 50lbs haha but it was still nimble and stealthy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyclist14 View Post
    Right around max like 50lbs haha but it was still nimble and stealthy.
    They average about 20lbs, and the largest confirmed weight is 49lbs. Not doubting he was big but a 25lbs, confirmed, looks incredibly large.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeah, and they generally don't mess with critters five or eight times their size. Mountain lion is a whole different ball o'wax.
    2016 El Oso Grande 6x1 (3 sets of wheels)

Co Springs
    Hell of an adventure story !
    Nice you got a ride back after getting turned around. Hope you were not too freaked about the getting lost part.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

mtbr member
    I ride the Vortex area quite often. Lately a lot at the jump lines. Surprised you saw a bob cat that close to the trails and on the paved trail no less. So many people ride in that area.

I live 50yds from one of the western most Santos trails, Tricycle Trail. I open my back gate and have access to the trail, it's pretty nice. There's lots of wildlife along the trail system, which is ~65 miles of trails. I see deer and pigs quite often, gopher tortoises, turkey, Bald Eagles ('Murica!), armadillos and bob cats occasionally. My neighbor is a hunter and has put up some game cams at the rear of their property and has some footage of Florida Panthers as well. Have yet to see a bear, but others have, especially the past few months.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple.
    Spank//i9//Deity//Magura//DVO

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    If you take our cell phone with on rides you can download the Trailforks app. Its free and has most of the trails marked on it. It is also directional, in if you point your phone a certain way the arrow on the map points in that direction. There has been a few times on new trails I have had to pull my phone out to check I was headed in the right direction.

mtbr member
    I live about 5 miles south of the Vortex/Greenway. I have a cedar tree on my property that is being used as a scratching post just like house cats do- albeit around 3-4' above ground level... never seen him/her, but yea they're out there. Trapped one about 20 years ago here- maybe 20#, and freaking NASTY disposition! Pound for pound, scarier than most critters when bent, though nothing like a big cats I'm sure. I'll keep an eye out for the OPs friend tomorrow morning

ride something every day
    You are lucky to have a bobcat sighting. My wild mammal sightings in FL are limited to boars, deer, dolphin and manatee. I saw an otter once. I also occasionally see Warlocks in urban settings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzcat View Post
    You are lucky to have a bobcat sighting. My wild mammal sightings in FL are limited to boars, deer, dolphin and manatee. I saw an otter once. I also occasionally see Warlocks in urban settings.
    All of those are better then snakes lol...... I will push my wife down to run from a snake lol

( yes I understand that makes me a scary-ed cat lol)

ride something every day
    Quote Originally Posted by FlightX4 View Post
    All of those are better then snakes lol...... I will push my wife down to run from a snake lol

( yes I understand that makes me a scary-ed cat lol)
    Not me. I want to see them! I saw my first bluestripe ribbon snake about 6 mo ago. Every snake I've seen riding has been in a hurry to get away from me except those grumpy pygmy rattlers.