Going to Blue Ridge, Ga soon...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Going to Blue Ridge, Ga soon...

And renting a house for a week. Where do I ride? We have a bunch of stuff planned, but I have already told the family that I will be riding, just not sure where to go.

powered by peanut butter.
    Tanasi isn't too far, and it's a great trail system. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7007715/tanasi-trails

Pinhoti trails around Ellijay are another solid option. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4739777/pinhoti-1

The Aska Trail system is close to Blue Ridge as well. I haven't ridden there myself yet, so I'm not too good for info on them. https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...a-trail-system
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by heartland View Post
    Tanasi isn't too far, and it's a great trail system. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7007715/tanasi-trails

Pinhoti trails around Ellijay are another solid option. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4739777/pinhoti-1

The Aska Trail system is close to Blue Ridge as well. I haven't ridden there myself yet, so I'm not too good for info on them. https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...a-trail-system
    Amen to all three

Cycologist
    But I'll give you a warning, the Aska trails are closest but require mega climbing. I enjoyed Tanasi a lot and will be spending more time there, as well as Pinhoti.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jackrabbit Trails at Lake Chatuge are a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Also Stanley Gap.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Go faster!
    What type of riding do you want to do? Miles/Elevation etc.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Also Stanley Gap.
    Stanley Gap is part of the Aska trail system.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My riding is Florida, so mainly not much elevation. There are some trails with a mile or two of grade at maybe 5%. We have some old quarries with some drops but Georgia is going to hurt I bet. I cannot wait. Thanks for all the replies.

mtbr member
    Henestly, FL guys don't get enough credit IMO. Yeah, it's flat. That's deceiving. You are pedaling the WHOLE TIME! You won't know what to do with yourself after getting all that rest on the downhills. Haha
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Henestly, FL guys don't get enough credit IMO. Yeah, it's flat. That's deceiving. You are pedaling the WHOLE TIME! You won't know what to do with yourself after getting all that rest on the downhills. Haha
    and from what I recall... Fla is rather hot.

GA gets plenty hot and humid, but we have tons of hardwoods that keep you out of direct sun. I've seen Fla trail videos that make it look as though you're not getting nearly as much shade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sometimes the heat here is downright oppressive. Most of our trails have some shade but not all. One of the local ones to me is in a state park that is just palmetto and scrub. It is a super fast trail, but you have to hit it early morning or evening. Any other time it will cook you in no time.

Space Ghost
    Firebike7-If you are a Florida rider heading North for the first time, don't sweat it. If you train, you will not have a problem with anything those trails throw at you. But do be cautious when you have the opportunity to hit 30+mph on a real downhill. A lot of our technical riding here is more difficult than up there. There are obvious exceptions. If you can ride the black diamonds at Alafia or the reds at Santos, you will be fine. Body armor is a good idea. I am a FL rider and have ridden all over the SE and Utah. Proper training makes a world of difference. Good luck.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    A great resource is Cartecay Bikes in Ellijay, just down the road from Blue Ridge. Great shop and intel on the riding with suggested routes and maps, linked below. I've ridden the Aska system a number of times as it's not far and my family has spent a number of Thanksgivings in the area as well. The riding is great as are the views. You do have to earn your turns but it's doable and no shame in walking when needed. While I'm always in favor of singletrack, there is some great road and gravel riding in the area as well. I just got back from a multi-day packraft/biking trip on the Upper Toccoa river and Springer Mountain area (southern terminus of the AT). It's not far from Blue Ridge and worth a look for sure too for something different. If your'e in Dial, check out Van Zandt's Riverwalk Grill and Grocery, they have great food, and shuttle sections of the river renting tubes and kayaks. Cool spot.

https://www.cartecaybikes.com/trails-maps/

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the tips! I will check those out. I was planning on going to Elijay anyway so I now have a destination. I will for sure look into the other things as well.