Georgia Pinhoti Thru-Ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Georgia Pinhoti Thru-Ride?

Has anybody ridden the contiguous portions of the Georgia Pinhoti trail:
    Dug Gap to Huffaker Road at Simms Mountain Trail? ~70 miles this seems like it would be a great place for a leisurely two day bike-packing epic (or a more difficult one day shot). I'm considering doing this sometime this fall and any trail beta, trip reports from somebody who's done this would be greatly appreciated. I'd imagine I'd go North to South unless there was a good reason not to? Thanks...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    As I understand it, not all sections of the GA Pinhoti Trail are open to mountain biking.

The Northwest GA chapter of SORBA takes care of most of those trails. They also share a lot of membership with the GA Pinhotie Trail Association. At least two mountain bikers were presidents of both organizations.

In other words, you can probably obtain the most accurate information by posting to the NWGA-SORBA forums.

http://www.nwgasorba.org/chewdafat/index.php

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by munisano
    Has anybody ridden the contiguous portions of the Georgia Pinhoti trail:
    Dug Gap to Huffaker Road at Simms Mountain Trail? ~70 miles this seems like it would be a great place for a leisurely two day bike-packing epic (or a more difficult one day shot). I'm considering doing this sometime this fall and any trail beta, trip reports from somebody who's done this would be greatly appreciated. I'd imagine I'd go North to South unless there was a good reason not to? Thanks...

PM me, I have the entire Trans north GA link to the GPX files. 380 miles or so. Easily a 5 day or if broke up into sections smaller bike packing trip.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Mulberry Gap, along with NWGASorba (specifically Rick Moon), is working on a supported ride of the entire Pinhoti trail system. Though not all of it is single track, it is connected and marked from end to end. North to south is the way it is typically ridden. We are happy to work with you on a shuttle system drop off and pick up with your vehicle staying at Mulberry Gap while you are riding. The trans north Georgia ride includes most of the pinhoti system (TNGA ends west of Rome at the Alabama line) and this year's ride leaves on Sept 4. We will be getting input and feedback from that group as to their advice on break points of the pinhoti system. We're happy to work with anyone else wanting to give it a try. Contact [email protected]

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You might find some info on the tnga site. Look at the Dyer Gap to Ramhurst cue sheet. http://www.firstworks.com/tnga/route.html

The sections are shown here. After clicking on Georgia, scroll down to the very bottom. Click on one of the routes. Then click "show on map". http://trails.firstworks.com/trails/...ult/index.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Rick Moon is an expert on the pinhoti trail and can provide you with detailed information.Contact [email protected]

mtbr member
    I speed hiked the entire 335 mile Alabama-Georgia Pinhoti trail back in May (http://pinhotitrailadventurerun.blogspot.com/). I traveled south to north from Flagg Mountain, AL to the Benton Mckay trail in north Georgia. It took me 6d 8h 48m to complete, fully supported. I had a total blast and am looking forward (since I've seen the whole trail now) to going back sometime this Fall and unicycling the section between Rome and Dalton, wonderful stuff! I will say, as far as the Georgia Pinhoti is concerned, the road sections are marked very well, there are actual road signs indicating trail intersections and turns and if you pay attention there are diamond blazes periodically on utility poles, so keep a sharp eye. The trail sections, especially those on old 4x4 roads were not marked/blazed as well so definitely always have a good set of maps with you and description, saved my butt several times!

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I read a blog about that - was that yours? Would love for you to bring your unicylce to Mulberry Gap. Did you come by here when you hiked it?

mtbr member
    You might have read my blog account as well (munisano.blogspot.com). I didn't go by Mulberry Gap personally but I do recall my crew mentioning driving by (I think) They were on a whole lot of back rounds trying to get to all the Pinhoti trail access points (this was on my last day on the trail). All I saw for 7 days was the Pinhoti trail or I was being driven to/from the trail! I'd also love to go ride that last 30+ miles of the Pinhoti, some awesome singletrack there, but ALOT of creek crossings! Was nice though as it had been HOT the whole week long.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just spent time reading your blog and looking at your pictures. Congratulations on completing that! If you haven't revisited those last 30 miles, I welcome you to base yourself here as those are the trails that our mountain bikers ride. We offer shuttles so can take you to the top and let you hike back to us - no overnight stay required. We'd love to hear more about your adventure from a runners viewpoint. We are redoing our website and adding a lot of information about the Pinhoti trail. Even though we concentrate on mountain bikers, we do have our share of hikers and trail runners. I would love to include your blog on our web site if that is okay with you. We are located less than 1/2 mile to the left when you got to Mulberry Gap Road after the section of trail that has the burmed switchbacks. Somehow I lost your pictures before I got to the area around us so I'm going back to your site to finish watching. Thanks for posting! Let others know we are available to assist if they want to plan a supported trip but don't have the back up that you did. Again, congrats!

Members who have read this thread: 0