Georgia Pinhoti map?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Georgia Pinhoti map?

I'm staying at Ft. Mountain in two weeks and trying to find a map of the Pinhoti trail. I've ridden Ft. Mountain, Bear Creek and Pinhoti from Bear Creek. But it's been a few years and I think that Pinhoti has grown since then.

Anyone know where I can find a map of the Pinhoti trail in that area?

mtbr member
    The best GA Pinhoti map I have found is here. It's kind of like a Mapquest for trails.

Unfortunately that website doesn't allow you to cut and past search results so you will have to do your own search for "Cohutta Pinhoti".

You will get a list of results that match. Click "Cohutta Pinhoti" under trail systems and then click "show on map".

It will zoom you to the area and you will actually be able to see much more than just the Pinhoti trail in the area. Great for figuring out your own loops and exploring an area.

If you leave that navigation window open and scroll down a little further, you can hover over each section (P1, P2, P3, etc) of the trail and it will show you exactly where it is on the map and even what kind of tread you ride on in that section (singletrack, old roadbed, shared use).

If you double click on an individual section of trail, it will show you the specifics for that section such as length and an elevation map of that section. You can also download the GPS info for that section if you want to put it in a GPS unit.

Al.
    Hooligan

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You are welcome to park and ride from Mulberry Gap. We have a pocket map we'll give you and advise you as to the best way to ride the trails. We offer shuttles if you need them. If the weather continues to be hot, you will need plenty of water and are welcome to come by here and refill your supply while riding. We'll help you have the best riding experience possible while in our area. www.mulberrygap.com
    We are less than 1/2 mile from the bottom of Pinhoti 3 as a reference on the map shown. Contact us if we can be of further assistance while in the area For other rides, look up North Georgia Mountain Bike Club, North Georgia Road Cycling, Dalton Area Cyclists on facebook for posted rides that you are welcome to join in.

Go make a difference
    Easiest thing to do is get the Nat Geo map #777 "Springer & Cohutta Mtns". You can use that to ride from Ft Mtn.

Call me if you want some company -- I'll gladly show ya around and save ya the hassle of getting lost.
    six 7 eight, 3 six one, 2 five 2 zero
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

Man up
    Sep 2010
    I also am interested in this route. I'm wanting to plan a bikepacking trip to do the whole Pinhoti. I plan to stay with the wonderful folks at Mulberry Gap. I want to get there at the middle of one day and get shuttled to the best place to start the Pinhoti N-S. I was thinking Moutaintown Creek? Get shuttled up there and ride down to BC, 1, 2, 3, 4, and Rock Creek ATV park where I'll get shuttled back to MG and stay a night. Then ride 3, 4, 5 and over to AL where I'll get shuttled back. Where would be the best place to start? Is there any more dirt north of MT Creek trail? I'd like to ride the WHOLE thing.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

mtbr member
    There is a ~3 section that runs north over the other side of Buddy Cove Gap at the top of Mountaintown Creek. Its mostly old abondoned road grade that is followed by a sharp turn onto a short stretch of the South Fork trail until the Benton Mckaye trail comes in from the east. I plan on doing the same trip this fall and I'm going to drop a car off at the parking lot at the southern end of South Fork. It's the Jacks River Fields campground lot. You can just ride north on South Fork for about 2-2.5 miles until you reach the junction with the Benton Mckaye which signifies the start of the shared South Fork/Pinhoti trail. Its a pretty easy downhill grade almost the whole way.

Heres the latest guide for the GA section. Gives turn by turn directions.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Awesome guide. All trails are MTB-approved? I've read certain parts say hiking only, I just want to be sure.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

Go make a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by orion_134 View Post
    Awesome guide. All trails are MTB-approved? I've read certain parts say hiking only, I just want to be sure.
    The Pinhoti is MTB . Other trails you'll have to pay attention to the NatGeo map and signage at the trailhead. The USFS does a good job of having that info at each trailhead. For the record, most of the trails are good to go for MTB but not all.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    There are a couple of "options" listed on that guide I linked that do not allow MTBs. However, all but one of them has a MTB friendly option around it. The icons at the bottom of each section will have notes that tell you if bikes are allowed or not. The one short part that MUST be hiked and has no bikable option around is the 1.5 connector between the Bear Creek Loop and Mountaintown Creek. Eventually, they are hoping to rework this section and make it MTB accessible as well but for now its a hike a bike.