GA Fort Yargo Mountain Biking State Park Raise Prices [Targeting Mountain Biker ONLY]- Mtbr.com
    Formula 1

No good GA Fort Yargo Mountain Biking State Park Raise Prices [Targeting Mountain Biker ONLY]

Yaba Website and Trail Uptime
    Yargo Area Biking Association (YABA) Facebook

To all our friends that use the trails at “ANY” Georgia State Park, we have some unfortunate news: Due to Georgia State Parks looking for ways to generate revenue, starting January 1st 2012, they will start charging to use the trails (people riding not running or walking). They’re still working out all the details, but for now this is what I understand they will be charging $2.00 per person, per day or you will be able to purchase a “Trail” Annual Park Pass for $25.00 (in addition to your Park Pass).

A regular Annual Park Pass is $50.00, plus the “Trail” Annual Park Pass of $25.00 = $75.00 a year, and the Park Passes will be good at all Georgia State Parks. There is a “Good” catch to the “Trail” Annual Park Pass, it will cover your immediate family, which will include You, your spouse and children.

We hope you will continue riding at Fort Yargo. Our passion at YABA has always been to provide a fun and challenging trail system, to give families a place to ride together, and to enjoy the great outdoors. As we are still finishing up the final touches to the 1- mile beginner loop, this news has dampened our spirits!

We would love to hear your thoughts!
    ________
    discrimination...i think so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Seems like I read that it applies to all GA state parks - not just Yargo. Of course, the only other one I can think of is the Helen trail. The parking fee is bad enough, especially for one person in the vehicle, not to mention a trail fee. Being a cheapskate, I parked in downtown Helen the few times I rode there to avoid the fee - not close enough to either of them to justify a yearly pass.

I can understand how maintaining a bike trail costs more than a hiking trail, but they don't appear to do anything to the helen trail, and that sorba group does most (if not all) of the work there (from what I understand).

mtbr member
    I know that it sucks to have to pay money (or more money) to ride your bike, but in the long run, it is good for the parks and mountain biking in GA. If they can show that mtbing is a good source of increasing revenue for the parks, then more parks will get mtb trails, or open their trails to bikes.... WIN. glass half-full I say.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I live 7 mi from yargo and bike there quite often. I'm all for letting users of public resources pay for using them. We've had an annual pass for years.

But this raises a lot of questions and red flags. From a business standpoint, given the economy, it may lessen use. With Gwinnett to the west, and if we get a trail near Watkinsville (or will that be at a state park too?), it may lessen use. They just raised the cost of the annual pass -- I guess that worked out for them so they are going for more.

And definitely, charge everyone. Why single out cyclists? And are they going to start charging for boating, swimming, and using the bathroom???

And what about enforcement? Will you have to carry something on you? What if you are riding with family members, but you are on the monster mile and everyone else is on the kiddie loop?

What if you lose the pass while riding? Will you be fined? I've lost my keys, and I have a collection of about a dozen reflectors, two top-quality tire levers, and a chain breaker I have found there. So far I have found the rangers to be quite reasonable with respect to enforcement of the parking pass. I forgot my pass once, and a ranger who had probably seen me around took my word that I had a pass and didn't make me pay the daily fee. But this was generous on his part, and I fear what would happen if you got someone with a gung-ho bureaucrat mentality in there and you lose your trail pass while riding.

This all sounds ill-conceived. I say just raise the price of annual parking pass yet again.

Hope and change, people. Time to contact our state legislators.

Oh, just found this -- public hearings -- SORBA Athens - SORBA Athens Home

I can't download the proposal, If anyone can download the proposal (you need a gmail address possibly), could you post it here?

Formula 1
    DennisF I have a google account and still cannot retrieve the document. The permissions must not be set right.

I love how the meeting is set to take place inside of Fort Yargo, limiting the amount of people who will want to come to pay and protest.

• January 9, 7 p.m. at Ft. Yargo State Park in Winder. Camp Will-A-Way’s gymnasium.
    • January 11, 7 p.m. at Unicoi State Park in Helen. Logo Meeting Room at the lodge

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thevincentlee View Post
    I love how the meeting is set to take place inside of Fort Yargo, limiting the amount of people who will want to come to pay and protest.
    Wanna park at Taco Bell and bike to the hearing? Or we can all cram into my van.

I have heard that if you say you are going to Twin Lakes they won't charge you. Wouldn't hurt to ask. There probably won't be anyone at the gate or office at that time, and I wouldn't think they could ticket you for parking at Twin Lakes.

Will-a-way has been leased to Camp Twin Lakes who has sunk millions into the place. A reall assett to the community BTW.

I emailed DNR and SORBAAthens asking for a copy. Will also stop by the park today and see if they have a copy, and will ask about parking at Twin Lakes too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I went to Yargo and talked to the Mr. Smith, the park director. They are supposed to email me the proposal, but haven't yet. However, I found what I think is it from SORBA and quoted it below. I heard that it is posted at the trailhead -- it was raining so I did't go down there to check.

The good news is, according to Mr. Smith, that the permit will be left in your car and not carried with you.

Also, according to Mr. Smith, you do not have to pay an entrance fee to attend the hearing.

Mr. Smith was very courteous and patiently listened to my questions and thoughts. He complimented the mountain biker users on our support of the park and good behavior. I get the impression that while he must toe the company line, he isn't necessarily in favor of this.

I am preparing a more thought-out response. In general, I would support it only if the money went to Ft. Yargo and preferably for trail construction and maintenance, and if all users of the trail were charged. However, the money is apparently going into the general State Parks budget. So this is looking to me like another government income redistribution scheme -- tax people who are "wealthy" enough to afford bicycles. Nevermind that we built the trails.

If they have to increase fees, increase it for everybody and face their music. Don't pick on a small minority of users that have little or no impact on the cost of operating the park.

Anyway, I encourage everyone to attend the hearing.This is far from a done deal. And stop by the office and meet Mr. Smith. I think he really does care about the park, its users, and montain bikers.

Here is another article.
    DNR proposes bike trail fees at three parks | Online Athens

During the Georgia State Parks Division’s review of fees and charges
    for 2012, we determined that we should consider implementing a $2 per
    person recreational facility use fee for our mountain bike trails
    sometime during 2012, possibly as early as March when the new trail at
    Hard Labor Creek State Park opens.

Under our current concept, the $2 fee would be charged for use of the
    mountain bike trails at Unicoi, Fort Yargo and Hard Labor Creek state
    parks, with the $3 fee at Fort Mountain State Park (charged since 1997)
    remaining in place. In addition to the daily per person fee, our
    concept includes a $25 annual pass good on all the mountain bike
    trails.

We are considering this fee in order to generate additional revenues to
    support our state park system and make our parks more self-supporting as state funds are reduced.
    Other recreational facility fees already being
    charged include horse trails, disc golf, mini golf and swimming pools,
    among others. Generating revenues from users of the horse trails and
    mountain bike trails would be especially helpful, since these particular
    facilities require a great deal of maintenance.

Each of the three parks with new mountain bike trail fees proposed will
    be holding a public meeting after the first of the year to discuss our
    plans further and seek input from recreation users. Please contact one
    of the three state parks where you ride most so you can be notified and
    attend.

Sincerely,

Becky Kelley
    Director
    Georgia State Parks & Historic Sites Division
    IMBA-SORBA Examining Proposed Fee Change for Mountain Biking at Georgia State Parks | www.sorba.org

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thank goodness there are no user fees for all the stealth/do-it-yourself trails I ride.

The rare occasions when i would consider going to yargo will be a bit more rare if the price goes up. price elasticity of demand for me is quite elastic, but I suspect not for many of the riders of yargo. And with few substitutes, the park will likely find the revenue increase they're hoping for.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    thank goodness there are no user fees for all the stealth/do-it-yourself trails I ride.

The rare occasions when i would consider going to yargo will be a bit more rare if the price goes up. price elasticity of demand for me is quite elastic, but I suspect not for many of the riders of yargo. And with few substitutes, the park will likely find the revenue increase they're hoping for.
    I don't see how this will give them more revenue? I'm in the Winder are about 4-5 times a year (from Fl.) and always make it a point to ride Yargo. Since, I've been riding there the price went from $2 to $5 which I thought was a lot but still paid for convinence. At $7 I'll go else where. That being said, they'd lose the entrance fee also. And I think other's will do the same.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Also, are you going to have to stop at the office to get the MTB pass or are they just gonna fine everyone with a bike rack on their vechicle that doesn't have one. Makes no sense.

Formula 1

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by OffCamber View Post
    Also, are you going to have to stop at the office to get the MTB pass or are they just gonna fine everyone with a bike rack on their vechicle that doesn't have one. Makes no sense.
    I think the easiest way is to not visit Yargo at all. I vaguely remember when park admission was 2 or 3 dollars. Then they came out with the 5 dollar deal. As of Jan 2011, they cancelled the free ride Wednesdays.

There are so many other parks, just for mountain biking.
    By Location.
    Chicopee Woods------Tribble Mill/Harbins------(Yargo)------Heritage Park

Check out this link:
    Georgia Mountain Bike Trailheads Google Maps

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OffCamber View Post
    It will probably work like the current parking passes. Pay at the gatehouse, and if no one is there, at any of the lockboxes around the park.

Note that the entrance fee is actually a parking fee. If you walk in you don' have to pay. So I suppose you could avoid paying by parking at any of the local businesses or municipal lots and riding in.

Exactly. Smith mentioned that they didn't know how much if any it would raise. That is the best tactic for fighting this. If revenue goes down they won't want it either.

Me -- although I'd rather not -- will pay. As a local, I already get the $50 pass and have done so long before I started biking, so that's a sunken cost. I ride at Harbins mostly because it is closer and when I can get away from work for a quick ride, it is that many more minutes I can ride, not to mention fuel costs. But Yargo is nicer in my opinion, and I am glad to have it nearby. Unlike most people, I have never driven any appreciable distance to bike. But if Yargo were not there, I probably would, and gas would cost me more than the $25.

But I think most people come from some distance to bike at Yargo. (I'll pay more attention to the plates next time I'm there). The price increase makes it a lot less attractive since there are many other places they can choose if they are willing to drive.

I especially feel for the guys that built the trails. There is talk of giving the volunteers free passes. But what is that going to do to people who are thinking about building trails at other state parks? They put their time and sweat and money into it, then the state comes along and charges people to use the fruits of their labor, send the money to Atlanta, and they may or may not waive the fee for them.

Check out this link:
    Georgia Mountain Bike Trailheads Google Maps
    Nice map, Vincent. Did you do it?

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Related Fees at Other State DNR-managed Properties

On a related note, the State (actually DNR again), is seeking more revenue from non-traditional or secondary user groups at Wildlife Management Areas (or WMAs) and Public Fishing Areas (or PFAs). Currently these activities are free at WMAs and PFAs.

In a complex fee scheme beginning on Jan 1, 2012 they will collect $3.50 per person for a three-day Georgia Outdoor Recreational Pass (GORP) to hike, walk, dog walk, bird watch, mountain bike, cave, picnic, etc at select WMAs and PFAs in Georgia. There is a $19 annual option. A logistical wrinkle is that the GORP passes won't necessarily be available onsite. You'll need to go online or call 1-800 number and pay a possible $2.50 processing fee or find a hunting and fishing license retailer BEFORE your visit. It is complex, IMO, with variations for age, whether you have an annual WMA license or a Sportsman's License (for hunting and fishing). Bottom line: they are going after "new" revenue generators for supposedly recouping on user impacts and maintenance and operation demands.

Full info from Wildlife Resources Division (WRD) of DNR here - GORP Info

It isn't only new user groups that are being captured however. Georgia trout anglers (myself included) are concerned that properly licensed anglers today (valid fishing lic. and valid trout lic.) will have to buy another license or pass starting next week to fish certain waters that happen to be on WMAs. If you don't have a Sportsman's license or an Annual WMA license right now it will add up to $6 ($3.50 GORP + $2.50 processing fee) per trip. Or $19 per year if you want to go that route.

Back to the State Park topic at hand, many don't mind paying for keeping WMAs and Parks open and staffed, but as I do the math it is going to get pretty expensive for me to be prepared to go anywhere I want on State lands to recreate without paying the extras day-by-day. The $25 and $19 passes add up after awhile. On top of $50 annual State Park pass and my fishing licenses. And I am unclear about how much $ will "stay" on property to do what they say it will do - pay for operations and maintenance. Sounds like it all will have to come back from State General Fund or DNR/WRD/Parks regular operating budgets.

TH
    Last edited by YellowToys; 12-24-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Formula 1
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    Nice map, Vincent. Did you do it?
    I would like to say that I did, but I did not. I have only ridden < 10 parks total.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    They're likely just trying to raise money. Upkeep and renovations at facilities like the lodges at unicoi and amicalolo require a large budget. I wouldn't have been any more surprised to hear they where going to charge a fee to use a picnic table.

For those who plan on attending a meeting. You might want to inquire about Fort Mtn., the only place currently charging a fee and a trail you hardly ever hear about here. I would imagine that both the trail usage and the ratio of trail users to total users is very low. Of course, you won't have to mention its proximity to bear crk, pinhotti, and other good trails in the area. It might help if you could get that info beforehand, along with the same statistics for yargo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You don't have to be at the Yargo or Unicoi meetings to have your voice heard on this issue. Public comments are being accepted through January 20, 2012 at [email protected].

The sad thing is that the mountain biking community has largely been ignored by GA State Parks. Perhaps this will change.

Make your voice be heard!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I wrote a very long email to the GA State park director this afternoon. Things of note are that the trails are built from volunteers, and don't cost the state park system a dime. They are built and maintained free of charge by those who love the sport. Those people also pay for parking, use the park trails more than any other segment of park users, and also pay for annual fees, especially in the case of Fort Yargo. I've been going there a lot, but if they implement this fee, I won't pay it, and will go elsewhere. If they need to raise revenue, they need to do it equitably across the board. Raise the parking and annual fees, and also raise the camping fees. Charging those who are self sustaining and only bring revenue to your park is no way to raise revenue. People will just go elsewhere. I'm going to try to make the meeting in a few weeks, too. I don't mind the $25. It's not a lot of money. But, the principle of the matter is that they are increasing pricing for the contingent of their users that doesn't require state funds to satisfy their needs, takes care of their own part of the parks, and also already pay for membership like everyone else. Write the email...make your voice heard!

mtbr member
    Sound like a massive boycott would be best, since that would show a loss of revenue rather than an increase. So far in FL we are lucky that the 'man' hasn't stuck us yet (key word) with extra fees. Only during the weekends do parks charge an entrance fee but nothing extra for MTBing or anything else...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm sad to read this, since i was just gearing up to ride Fort Yargo later today

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    As a follow up, I never did hear back from my email. It seems that opinions aren't valued. I guess I'll cancel my membership and ride elsewhere. I'm not going to pay a targeted fee that's unjustified, no matter how small it is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I know that it sucks to have to pay money (or more money) to ride your bike, but in the long run, it is good for the parks and mountain biking in GA. If they can show that mtbing is a good source of increasing revenue for the parks, then more parks will get mtb trails, or open their trails to bikes.... WIN. glass half-full I say.
    no, it's not. there are far too many places to ride for free, and this is simply going to chase away a majority of the volunteers who plan, build, maintain and ride these trails. the deal is, the added fees will not go directly to anything that has to do with mtnbike trails. that's a deal closer right there.

the one park that's had the highest fees in the state for years, ft. mtn., gets the least amount of users; and it's just outside GA's capital of mtnbiking, ellijay. further proof, it's a great place to ride. no, these fees will not be good for mtnbiking (or the local economy near yargo as less riders fuel there cars there, buy snacks/drinks there, eat post-ride meals, etc) in the way that you see it. hopefully in some other way...
    ride fast...take chances...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iridetitus View Post
    no, it's not. there are far too many places to ride for free, and this is simply going to chase away a majority of the volunteers who plan, build, maintain and ride these trails. the deal is, the added fees will not go directly to anything that has to do with mtnbike trails. that's a deal closer right there.

the one park that's had the highest fees in the state for years, ft. mtn., gets the least amount of users; and it's just outside GA's capital of mtnbiking, ellijay. further proof, it's a great place to ride. no, these fees will not be good for mtnbiking (or the local economy near yargo as less riders fuel there cars there, buy snacks/drinks there, eat post-ride meals, etc) in the way that you see it. hopefully in some other way...
    People already pay a big chunk just to park at FY, and they pay it, with multiple free options close by. I don't see why another $2 a trip or $25 a year will keep people out, if they like to ride there.... especially if it becomes mandatory at all state parks. And on the flip side, maybe more people will go to Ft. Mtn, since they've already paid the $25 for statewide access.

I'm for paying, IF it will expand access to new trails on state land.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I emailed the Parks department asking how much revenue bicycle fees at Ft. Mountain raises, and where the money goes. Here is their reply:

Dear Dennis,

Our fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30. Revenue from bike fees for Ft. Mountain where FY2009 $1201.22, FY 11 $1436.16 and Year to date for FY12 is $909.37. The percentage of cyclist is not known.

These fees will go to the general fund of the state which supports the operations of all state parks. The general fund provides $15 million for Georgia State Parks.

The Park Pass fee does go to maintenance and repairs of our park facilities and is apportioned according to the revenue generated for this by a park.

Thank you for you inquiry.
    Tim

Tim Banks
    Assistant Chief of Operations & Law Enforcement
    Parks, Recreation, and Historic Sites Division
    Georgia Department of Natural Resources
    404-656-6544 office
    So, $1500 into a budget of $15 million. That's what, .001% of their budget?

That's also only 500 bike tickets per year. This is an indication of what will happen at Yargo, and should be a warning to anyone supporting this.

If they need more money, then fine, raise the fees for everyone. If they want park users to pay their own way, I have no problem with that, especially if they would lower everyone's state income tax :-)

But to single out a group of users whose activity does not add to park costs, and to the contrary, brings in volunteers to improve the park and actually raises revenue as a result of sponsored activities -- races and demo rides -- is a real slap in the face so to speak. Furthermore, we are among the park's best-behaved users, requiring little or no enforcement effort.

No one, including the park service, wants revenue and visitorship to decrease, and this fee may well do that.

I encourage everyone to write or show up for the hearing. The park service is publicizing the hearings -- they want you to attend. EIther they think they can sell us on it, or more likely in my opinion, there is someone higher-up in the House or Senate or such pushing this, and the park service is looking for reasons to not do it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I had to work late and didn't make the meeting. Anyone else go? If so, how did it turn out, and did many people show up to oppose the fee?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah, I went.

There were I'm guessing 150 in attendance. Tim Banks, the assistant to the Parks Chief Operations Director was there, stating that he represented Becky Kelly, parks director. Also in attendance was Ft. Yargo director Ray Smith, and his boss, someone from down in Albany. A reporter from the Barrow Journal attended.

Banks read the proposal and spoke a little about the proposal. The plan is to pay your money, sign a liability waver, and get a tyvek tag to attach to your bike. There are plans for a $25 annual family pass. It was not clear to me how this would be implemented. The money would go into the DNR budget, not to Ft. Yargo in particular.

The floor was then opened for comments. No one was in favor of singling out bicyclists for additional fees. However, most people expressed a willngness to pay more in the form of higher parking fees.

There was general concern that, seeing there are so many other places to bike WITHOUT having to sign in, use of Yargo would decrease. Steve Gordon of Yargo Area Biking Association stated that it is mountain biking that has made Yargo viable. Yargo has had its best year ever, paying over 70% of its own cost. Steve disputed claims by the park service that trail maintenance was an expense to the park. He was adamant that the trails are built and maintained by volunteers.

Several people expressed concerns that if people have to pay to bike there, they will no longer feel compelled to volunteer for trail maintenance.

Questions were asked about night biking or collection from people who ride their bike to the park from the community and do not enter at the main entrance. Mr. Banks said that no consideration had yet been given to this.

Towards the end of the meeting, Mr. Banks said something -- I don't recall exactly what -- that I understood to be saying fees WOULD be implemented. I asked if this was a proposal or not. When pressed he admitted that fees of some sort would be implemented. Thanks a lot for your forthrightness, my public servants. I am pissed! Why waste our time having a hearing if their minds are already made up?

I will be submitting a formal comment opposing the fees to the park service before the deadline on the 20th, and will be contacting Terry England, my state rep,who is also rep for the district containing Ft. Yargo.

I suspect that this is being done without a proper business plan to determine if it will actually raise money or not. No mention was made of anticipated revenues and expenses, so I emailed Mr. Banks and asked him.

When government wants more money they are used to just raising taxes. And tada, you get more money, at least in the short run. But when the park is expected to pay a lot of it's own way, the "just raise taxes" mentality won't work. They are running a business now. No one will go to jail if they choose to bike elsewhere.

If the trails stay open and maintained, and the park makes money from this, and I can drive there and bike without a lot of hassle, then fine. I'm not worried about the $25. But I'm afraid that's not going to happen. If the trails go to pot or the park loses revenue as a result of this, the parks director should be replaced.

I have to also consider the possibility that this, like so many other taxes, is not really about revenue, but government control.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Damn, I'd be so pissed if I had spent countless volunteer hours building a trail and then was asked to pay to use the trail I just built. What a crock of crap. If I was in that situation and they implemented a cycling specific fee I wouldn't step foot back in that park, that's the best way to stick it to them. I've never ridden Yargo but I have ridden other nearby trails (like Chickopee) and doubt it's much better than that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    They are "proposing" to give volunteers who log 40 hours or more per year a free pass. They are paying the $50 for the annual pass now BTW.

I've only ridden at Harbins, Tribble Mill, Big Creek, and of course Yargo. Yargo and Yargo is definitely my favorite. I think it is generally more challenging than Harbins, and I like looking at the lake. There is nothing to not like about Yargo.

I actually go to Harbins most because it is closer to me, and better suited for short rides. It is no problem to take off work for an hour and get some riding in and get back. That back section across the creek is fun too, but haven't been back there with my new non-Schwinn bike yet :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

mtbr member
    I saw that that lunatic Mike V is getting involved too... Good luck with that a&%hole...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have a simple solution to this cash grab.
    I won't ride there anymore...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    after reading some of the articles on this issues, I found a link to another article where people were talking about the negative effect of renegade trails out west.

I had never really thought about how many user conflicts there are out west. The admonitions not to build your own trails because it hurts everyone else seem totally crazy from a southeastern perspective.

I'm very pleased that we have around 100 miles of diy trails where I live. Now that Yargo is getting more expensive, I'm even more pleased that I will never need to pay their fees to enjoy riding. Rather I'll go on a free 30 mile singletrack ride, only 1 lap not 3+ laps, and I'll stop at a grocery store along the way to get a snack and if I'm feeling indulgent I'll pick up some coffee along the way too.

And when I want a long ride in the mountains...A two hour drive up to the mountains to sample from a few hundred miles of renegade trails...for free. I'm very indebted to the guys who've been building these trails for a lot longer than me and who've put in many more hours riding with chainsaws, etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I will be solving this problem by not riding there anymore. If i do i will park in town and ride my bicycle there and avoid the parking fee and also not check in and avoid that fee as well. However, i am 99% sure i will avoid the whole place.

If you race, be sure to write a letter to any race promoters that have events at Ft. Yargo and let them know that you will be forgoing any races there do to the way the state of georgia does business.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I hear there is a secret way into yargo... Dun dun dunnnnnnnn! I live in statham and ride there quite often. Luckily my girlfriend lives In Athens and I always have my gear with me. Heritage park, Hawkes creek, dirt 10, all fun and manicured trails! Just lame I won't be visiting the trail a stones throw away. Also there is a service road right by my house a fellow mountain biker has been building trails within the woods near it. I need to meet him so I can help out! He doesn't know I ride it yet.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    I hear there is a secret way into yargo... Dun dun dunnnnnnnn! I live in statham and ride there quite often. Luckily my girlfriend lives In Athens and I always have my gear with me. Heritage park, Hawkes creek, dirt 10, all fun and manicured trails! Just lame I won't be visiting the trail a stones throw away. Also there is a service road right by my house a fellow mountain biker has been building trails within the woods near it. I need to meet him so I can help out! He doesn't know I ride it yet.

Whats Dirt 10? Never heard of it. Where's it located and does it go by another name?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just some rogue trails local mtbers built in a few different sections along the 10 loop hwy.

mtbr member
    Just some rogue trails local mtbers built in a few different sections along the 10 loop hwy.

Are you referring to the stuff near Mitchell Bridge Rd and Chase Street or do I need to call up my UGA buddies and get them to show me the new secret squirrel stuff?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That's them!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I hear there is a secret way into yargo... Dun dun dunnnnnnnn!
    You can park at the Barrow County Recreation Center
    Barrow County Georgia
    and take the "Winder Connecting Trail" in. Not secret -- it's on the park map, but hardly anyone uses it.

By taking this trail into the park you can legally avoid paying the parking fee for your car. There is plenty of free parking at the trailhead which is off park property. It is an easy mile or less that joins the outer loop near Three Step Hill.

Also good if you want to ride into town to get something to eat.

BTW, there are no longer any signs advising of the mountain biking fee at Yargo. I was at Unicoi recently and don't recall seeing any signs there either.

mtbr member
    I just rode there last weekend after not riding Yargo since the fees increased. However, I only paid $5 to park and ride which I think was the old amount, Did the park repeal the fee increase or am I incorrect in thinking it was always $5?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    I just rode there last weekend after not riding Yargo since the fees increased. However, I only paid $5 to park and ride which I think was the old amount, Did the park repeal the fee increase or am I incorrect in thinking it was always $5?
    I've heard from others that they too didn't see anything about an additional mtb fee.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

GA Fort Yargo Mountain Biking State Park Raise Prices [Targeting Mountain Biker

Nice! I may have to start going back. Been off the bike for a month due to injury and am looking for something smooth to ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Well, unfortunately the fee is still officially in effect. At Yargo there is a small yellow sign taped to the window of the toll booth with parking and biking rates.

HOWEVER, last week I was going riding there in the evening with a friend that does not have an annual permit, and the office closes at 5 PM. So I called asking what to do. They said if the office is closed not to worry about it -- just be sure to pay for your car at the box or have an annual permit for it.

Sorry, I don't remember the name of the girl I talked to -- Jennifer maybe.

The perfessor
    I'm not super-happy when they charge ONLY the mtbikers a fee; what about people using the tennis courts or other amenities?.....SORBA built the trails from their money (as I understand it) and for the park system to charge extra isn't quite fair......think I'll stick to Chicopee and pay my dollar each time........
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike