Ft Gordon Trails- Mtbr.com
    avg. joe

Ft Gordon Trails

I will be at Ft. Gordon (GA) for the 2nd half of June and was wondering if anyone is aware of any trails on post. I will be too busy with a school to drive off post for any riding, but if there are any trails on post, I may have time to squeeze in a ride or two.

Thanks.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!
    The roads around Ft. Gordon are popular with area cyclists. Most are VERY rolling with some steep hills. On the weekends, there is little traffic in the more remote areas of the base. I don't know about off road riding on the base. Much of it has signage of no tresspassing, firing range, etc. A road race was held there this past weekend, so I was able to ride the roads. Look out for sand on the roads and dead snakes.

There are a few trails in Augusta. Check out the trail link listings on www.southeasterncycling.com

avg. joe

Thanks

I spent several months in Augusta waaaay back in 1986. I remember some of the roads, but that was before MTBing became quite so popular and there were no trails on post. I may just take the road bike and reacquaint myself with the post this way.

Thanks again,

Tom
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa
    I spent several months in Augusta waaaay back in 1986. I remember some of the roads, but that was before MTBing became quite so popular and there were no trails on post. I may just take the road bike and reacquaint myself with the post this way.

Thanks again,

Tom
    Find Range Road when you get there. I don;t think there are ST trails on the base, but maybe some wider dirt roads. Sand is an issue there.

dirtbag

There's nothin' on post...

I haven' been down that way since '00, so I'm going off of memory. There's no real "trails" on post, but while I was shacked up in Ring Hall I usually did a nice little loop on post: start at Ring Hall across to the lemon lot/post office to the (under-used) fitness trail directly behind (flat, sandy but some logs to hop at speed) then over to the parade field, swing back around and behind Signal Towers to the really steep tarmac paved uphill trail that spits you out somewhere behind Greely Hall ( I think?). If I remember correctly there were some concrete outdoor stairs where you can ride down for some variety.

The road riding on post is great: no traffic and you can ride the loop that goes out to the ranges and back. That was great in the summer, just do it early in the morning before the heat and humidity rise.

As for real singletrack, you'll have to venture off post. Augusta has the Augusta Canal trail (start somewhere near the pump house?). Only other decent trails was Turkey Creek and Modoc just a little north along the Savannah. These offered some challenging singletrack. Check out the SORBA CSRA folks for more info.