Florida Trial Questions- Mtbr.com
    PC4
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Florida Trial Questions

Hello! I have a couple questions regarding to MTB sites. Recently I got my girlfriend and her son (9 years old) into MTB. With her and I also buying her son a new mountain bike. They are both very new to MTB, but are showing a great deal of interest. We have a camping trip planned for 4 days to Santos in two weeks. Could anyone recommend some fun trials for them to hit where they would have some fun interaction, but not very technical? As for my second question I have yet to hit up Alafia and I recommended to my GF last night that we should go there Saturday morning. Could anyone recommend some fun trails for her that wouldn't be very difficult, but be a lot of fun? Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If you park at the main Santos trailhead, pretty much 95% of the trails around there are the same and not very technical. The Vortex of course isn't for beginners, and the John Brown trail and the adjacent ones to that do have some technical difficulty that wouldn't be fun for beginners. Take advantage of the pump track areas at the main trailhead to warm up and evaluate how your beginners will do on the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The easy loop at Alafia is great for beginners. Take sand pine to rock garden to hidden rivers then up the double track back to the parking lot for about a 6 or 7 mile loop. Sand pine feels a little like you're on a safari in Africa with big turtles walking across the trail, Rock garden is more woodsy with tons of deer and easy wood features, and hidden rivers is more florida swamp with palmettos everywhere. Take a break by the lake where the double track starts and look for gators. I've done this loop many times with my kids over the years and they loved it. Keep in mind that sand pine is completely exposed and super hot in the afternoon sun.

PC4
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    If you park at the main Santos trailhead, pretty much 95% of the trails around there are the same and not very technical. The Vortex of course isn't for beginners, and the John Brown trail and the adjacent ones to that do have some technical difficulty that wouldn't be fun for beginners. Take advantage of the pump track areas at the main trailhead to warm up and evaluate how your beginners will do on the trail.
    Thank you very much for the insight!

PC4
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Lee View Post
    The easy loop at Alafia is great for beginners. Take sand pine to rock garden to hidden rivers then up the double track back to the parking lot for about a 6 or 7 mile loop. Sand pine feels a little like you're on a safari in Africa with big turtles walking across the trail, Rock garden is more woodsy with tons of deer and easy wood features, and hidden rivers is more florida swamp with palmettos everywhere. Take a break by the lake where the double track starts and look for gators. I've done this loop many times with my kids over the years and they loved it. Keep in mind that sand pine is completely exposed and super hot in the afternoon sun.
    Superfly, thanks for the response. Whats funny is that I read this after we went to Alafia and we did all the ones that you mentioned. It was a lot of fun. Thanks!