florida road trip- Mtbr.com
    The Voice of Reason

florida road trip

i'll be driving from pensacola to cocoa next weekend and i'm looking for a few places to ride. i'll probably hit something in tallahassee but i want to ride somewhere in central florida close to either i-95 or i-75. santos is an option. are there any other 'must ride' rides? thanks.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Tom Brown in Tally and Santos in Ocala probably your best bet on that route.
    -DC, just some XC Bum from FL in NW Arkansas

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you're coming down I-95 through Flagler County make sure to ride Graham Swamp.

mtbr member
    Santos would be easy to hit and if you head a little further south on 75 you could hit Alafia then take 4 back across to the coast. I had a blast at both of those spots last spring and were both easy to access from major roads/interstates. I would assume it will be significantly different than Pensacola but I was pleasantly/painfully surprised at both of them coming from Birmingham. Lots of awesome features and elevation change.
    So many trails, so little time.

2019 Santa Cruz 5010 C S, 140/130

The Voice of Reason
    i've never ridden santos but i rode hard rock back in the day. i guess they are similar? alafia is out of my way. graham swamp looks doable. whats that little big econ place like?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Little Big Econ is also known as Snow Hill, some xc flow with a little elevation, it's a pretty piece of land but I wouldn't say they're better trails than Santos or Alafia for sure.

The Voice of Reason
    i'll probably be taking a friend along to little big econ and he hasn't ridden in quite a long time. should be perfect. thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Race this weekend at Snow Hill FYI.
    https://www.goneriding.com/index.php...ce-information

The Voice of Reason
    dang. thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'm a builder at the Santos Vortex free-ride area. Santos shouldn't be an option, it should be a sure thing lol. Best variety of stuff to do, in one trail system, in the state, IMO. We have a flow trail, free-ride area with drops ranging from 4'-25' with big table top jumps, technical red trails and ~80mi of XC trails.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple.
    Spank//i9//Deity//Magura//MRP

The Voice of Reason
    thanks for all the tips. i hit munson hills in tallahassee on the way down south. fun and fast. it was the perfect mid trip break. sunday we hit doris leeper. super fun trail for the newbies i was riding with. i could've done another lap at speed but we ran out of time. on the way home monday i hit santos. really nice setup. i only rode the intermediate trails as my frame developed a crack and i didn't want to get impaled by steel tubing. thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I have a place in New Smyrna Beach and I try to get up there a couple times a month on weekends and holidays. I've been out to both sides of Doris Leeper and hiked a bit of it but have yet to ride it. Right now I have a couple of single speed coaster brake beach cruisers that keep up there for beach riding and have threatened to take one out there and do the green loop. From what I saw it seems doable...

Did you ride the blue section? As I understand there is an out and back that starts on the west side of the loop that goes up to the quarry and has some interesting terrain. I hiked a few hundred yards up that trail but didn't go any further. I'm curious to hear from someone who has ridden that part as well.

This spring I will definitely haul the Niner up there and ride.

The Voice of Reason
    the blue section was a loop. the whole thing was nice but i don't remember a quarry. it's a perfect single speed trail. not sure about coaster brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Interesting. I was looking at the Trailforks map and to the west there is a blue trail called West Side Trail that goes up to a quarry near I-95. There is a lake in the middle of the quarry. I guess technically it would be called a "Borrow Pit" rather than a quarry. It is where they dug up coral rock to build the local roadbeds.

From the map it is definitely an up and back with a turn around loop near and around the lake. Map link below:

https://www.trailforks.com/region/sp...eper-preserve/

I definitely need to bring the proper bike up there next time I go. It is pretty flat but some of it might be a bit sketchy with only a rear coaster brake... Probably doable but more fun on a proper MTB.
    Last edited by dbf909; 4 Days Ago at 02:40 PM.