Florida Panhandle Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Florida Panhandle Trails

Just checking if or where are are the good trails in the Eglin PCola region. If found some smaller trails list there online, but it looks like a lot of open space without many trails.
    Also, where would the best place to live in the area to allow weekly rides in the area?

WillWorkForTrail
    Well, if youíre in the panhandle then Dothan AL wonít be far away. They have some ...unique stuff there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Well, if youíre in the panhandle then Dothan AL wonít be far away. They have some ...unique stuff there.
    That's a start. I was hoping for something closer that was a little more technical without a 2-3 hour drive.

WillWorkForTrail
    Got a chance to look at some resources. I'd recommend you check Trail Forks. Looks like there are a couple trails in the area you're looking at, though most of them are going to be XC ish stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Got a chance to look at some resources. I'd recommend you check Trail Forks. Looks like there are a couple trails in the area you're looking at, though most of them are going to be XC ish stuff.
    Iíll look there. Iíve been checking single tracks. Saw some blues in there. Hopefully thereís room to open up some areas.

mtbr member
    I've heard the trails at UWF in Pensacola are good, especially for the area. There is also a gravel grinder that starts around Milton that uses some single track in that area as part of the route. I would have to think as large as Eglin is there have to be some trails on base. Most technical things found in FL I've ridden are man made.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by AF2NR View Post
    I've heard the trails at UWF in Pensacola are good, especially for the area. There is also a gravel grinder that starts around Milton that uses some single track in that area as part of the route. I would have to think as large as Eglin is there have to be some trails on base. Most technical things found in FL I've ridden are man made.
    Good to know. Some trails around Elgin, but look like a lot of flat ground turns to get a mile in a small riding area. My other thought is get a house with a 1/2 acre or more and put a simple track in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    The UWF trails in Pensacola are great to ride. I live near Santos and was impressed by this system. There are two sections right across the street from each other. The Games side has 8 miles of xc singletrack and a freeride section in the middle. The freeride section has clay drops, hills, and wooden features. The main section has more singletrack, with a good variety. Some low lying sections can get muddy with rain. There are some technical trails on the main side, like WTF. These trails are a great example of what Florida has to offer in mtb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Also, the trail routes are color coded to give you options for routes of varying lengths. You can pick a route depending on how much distance you want to cover. It makes it easy to plan a route.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by acrmedic View Post
    The UWF trails in Pensacola are great to ride. I live near Santos and was impressed by this system.
    I will have to check these out then. I spent a couple weeks in Orlando at the beginning of this month and was quite impressed with what FL offered in that area. I hit up Alifia, Santos, Mt. Dora, Markham Woods, etc. and didn't expect what I experienced.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The panhandle area you'd probably better served making the trip to AL & GA for some riding. FL generally is just narrow singletrack with punch very short (5 sec or less punchy climbs and 1 sec drops) Most of the parks are very short trail systems with the exception being Ocala/Santos. If you want sustained climbs and flow; out of state is the answer.