E-Bikes on Blankets Creek- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

E-Bikes on Blankets Creek

Other than Twitter I don't do "social media" and I only have Twitter to read up and stay updated on mountain bike news, gear, etc. So with that being said, after being locked in my place for 5 weeks now to work from home I figured I'd reach out to some of my fellow Georgia riders on this topic.

I went to the Sorba Woodstock website to see if I could find anything related to whether or not E-Bikes were allowed on Blankets but could not find anything. So please know I'm not here to start any war but mainly get opinions on this.

I was on Van Michael about a week ago pedaling up one of the steeper inclines when I noticed 2-3 riders coming up from behind. I clipped out and stopped to let them by. One of the riders who had to be a Sumo wrestler in a prior life blew by me without a bead of sweat on him. At first I was very impressed to see a dude kill it on (1) on a mountain bike and (2) up this particular incline on VMT as large as he was. When I got to the top at the bench these guys were there taking a break and that's when I noticed this one guy was riding an E-Bike. Of course it was then that I could see HOW this dude blew through that incline.

Blankets in most areas is definitely single track and hard enough to pass anyone at any given time on a regular mountain bike. Which made me wonder how these individuals with E-Bikes are able to maneuver safely around as we all have heard these bikes take a little more handling and caressing than a regular bike. Most times weighing up close to 50lbs.

So with all that being said I'd imagine E-Bikes ARE allowed on Blankets and just wondered if any of you had any opinions on that, and any encounters with them out there?

OMB
    OMB :thumbsup:
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1
    2017 Santa Cruz HighTower C
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp
    2016 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    No personal knowledge of the official policy but Iíve also had an e-biker blow by me on a climb while on the Dwelling loop. Pretty crazy how peppy those things are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cycologist
    I was at the spot where Dwelling starts, taking a break and a guy rode up on one and stopped, this was a good while ago. I asked him if he had checked if they were legal on these trails and he said he didn't know. He also claimed he did not use the assist on Van Michael, which was pure BS. I emailed someone at Sorba Woodstock when I got home and they said they are legal.

I agree that the trails at Blankets and Rope Mill are too narrow, twisty and with too much traffic to accommodate ebikes and I think it will become an issue if/when they become common. With a bunch of riders riding at a faster speed, a lot more passing will occur and the trails will probably get blown out as people ride off the trail to pass others.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    For me the jury is still out on my thoughts and opinions on E-bikes. Heck, one day soon I may find myself needing one if I want to continue enjoying getting out on the trails to ride long(er) distances like Jake and Bull for instance. I ran across an older couple at Chicopee a few months ago (husband & wife in their mid-60's) who both had E-bikes. They were telling me how the previous weekend they had ridden both Jake & Bull on one trip! And how the E-bikes allowed them that freedom to do so. Im a huge advocate for folks getting out and enjoying the outdoors and exercising so this make me think twice about them. However, to me (and this is my own opinion) it seems others my age and younger are robbing themselves of enjoying the true nature of mountain biking. No help from technology and learning to challenge yourself over obstacles you'd ordinarily skip or pass by. Figuring out how to take appropriate lines and riding within your real abilities. These folks just seem to be FLYING down the trails like they are on scooters. On Tuesday I rode VMT counterclockwise and got to Hurl Hill. Not my favorite place to be but, I do make it up at times when Im in shape and mentally ready. A lady my age came up behind me on an E-Bike as I was pushing my bike up and she blew past me going UP Hurl Hill while staying seated! She didnt even grunt one time! LOL
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If they are truly few and far between, it isn't a big deal to me. There are riders out there that can blow past me on a climb without any assist, so this isn't a lot different. I like the idea of an assist for people who need it and don't begrudge anyone for using it, but like the saying goes, your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins, and if I have to dismount routinely to let people pass that are using a motor, and we are consequently tearing up the trail, that seems like the punch is making contact with my nose. Plus, most fast riders are polite enough to be patient until there is a good convenient place to pass. On flat and downhill areas around here, physical fitness isn't the governor on speed, so it seems like this is really just an issue on climbs.

Wishful thinking, but if they could be restricted to only provide power when going under 5 mph or something like that, it would achieve the desired goal without causing too many problems.

mtbr member
    Has anyone else noticed the INSANE amount of people on Blankets, Ropes and Allatoona lately? A buddy of mind had to circle 3 times at Blankets this week just to find a parking spot!
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    No, but it doesn't surprise me. Most other activities are canceled so people have more free time and we've had some great weather in between the severe storms. I've barely ridden any the last couple months since someone in my house doesn't want me to end up in the hospital, not that mountain biking has ever landed me in the hospital (orthopedist, yes. hospital, no).

mtbr member
    Dunleavy, Ihate hearing you're not able to get in the saddle as much as you'd like bro. While the parking lots are FULL thankfully the trails remain relatively clear to ride. But over at Ropes you have the large crowd of hikers and Kayakers as well. Very crowded down at the trail head, lots of car horns being blowned. I saw a dude back up and hit another car with his kayak sticking out of this truck. Just crazy crowded. I know once this virus stuff dies down some hopefully the trails will ease up some.
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!
    E-bikes are allowed at Blanket's and Rope. Cherokee County Parks and Rec has no rules against them. There was as discussion a while back about them, but I don't remember where. This is a race at Blanket's Creek this summer that will allow e-bikes.

https://mountaingoatadventures.com/blankets30

E-Bikes are not allowed on "natural surface" trails in other counties at other mtb trail systems including Cobb County.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBiker View Post
    Has anyone else noticed the INSANE amount of people on Blankets, Ropes and Allatoona lately? A buddy of mind had to circle 3 times at Blankets this week just to find a parking spot!
    All the urban ATL trails seem to be that way during this time. And bike shops are crazy busy too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm not saying this is a bad thing but, I AM seeing a LOT of brand new Wal-Mart bikes on the trails. We all had to start somewhere but Lord Im seeing a LOT of them. lol
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1

mtbr member
    I've occasionally seen them there and and Olde Rope Mill and Big Creek. I don't have a problem with them. They still have to be pedaled.