Downhill Project in Eureka Springs, AR- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Downhill Project in Eureka Springs, AR

They're billing this as the biggest, best downhill area between the Apps and the Rockies. I believe there are 7 lines (2 green, 2 blue, 3 black), and currently running complimentary shuttles on Saturdays. Video of the trails looks nuts:

https://www.facebook.com/OzTrailsNWA...7437077086027/

There's also a whole other area in Eureka opening up called the Great Passion Play Trails (long story on the name) and built by Jagged Axe of Glorieta Camps Trails fame.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/passionplaytrails/

Eureka Springs is within an easy drive of Bentonville, but it's also an interesting enough town (really uniquely situated on a mountain, similar to Manitou Springs, CO if you've ever been) that it's worth staying a night or two there to experience it.

mtbr member
    I rode both of these areas yesterday, and I can assure you they are legit. There is only one green line, however. I believe it is #6. The new version 7th line is a double black. I was impressed with what was achieved and the shuttle was busy yesterday afternoon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Wow, the trails looks awesome there, cant wait to ride them!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Don't forget to check out the Passion Play trails while there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVlU...&feature=share

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The Velosolutions dudes who are in town working on the pump track (largest in North American, baby!) for the upcoming Red Bull World Pumptrack Championships hit the Downhill area this weekend. Some great video of them sending it on a few different jumps here:

https://www.facebook.com/bshoffner/p...56349728135435

mtbr member
    Thinking about a day trip from Tulsa on Sunday. Man I have been out of it. The trails look great. A buddy and his wife are headed there Sat. She is riding with a group of ladies. He needs a partner. Really hope I can make it with all I have going on. Doubt i'll be hitting the black stuff but green and blue are right up my alley.

And...a pump track?? How close is ti to being done? @hogfly?

mtbr member
    From what I can tell, the pump track is still under construction. I havenít seen an opening date published yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks,

They just finished a big one in my home town of Sturgis SD. Ready to get home and hit that one up...along with a bunch of new singletrack.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Pump track is close but will probably not be open until September would be my guess.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post
    Thinking about a day trip from Tulsa on Sunday. Man I have been out of it. The trails look great. A buddy and his wife are headed there Sat. She is riding with a group of ladies. He needs a partner. Really hope I can make it with all I have going on. Doubt i'll be hitting the black stuff but green and blue are right up my alley.

And...a pump track?? How close is ti to being done? @hogfly?
    There ARE a couple of pump tracks in NWA. The best one, imo, is at Metfield up in Bella Vista on the Back40 trail system.

The Velosolutions one isn't open as of yet. I'm worried they won't officially open it until the Redbull Championships, but it's going to be CRAZY huge when it's done. Here's a couple of in progress photos that show it off:

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...0c&oe=5C06DE8E

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...92&oe=5BC6E21C

And while this thread is specifically about Eureka, the trail development in the whole region is just nuts right now. I ride trail 2-3 nights a week and usually two days on the weekend. Admittedly, I don't always hit new trail, but I still have new trails that I haven't been able to check off my list... and the list just seems to keep getting longer. It's a beautiful time to be in NWA for mountain bikers.

Also, can I just talk about the month of October.

Epic Rides Oztrails Offroad
    Redbull World Pumptrack Championships
    Outerbike

mtbr member
    We Did slaughter Pen right after it opened and have done the Womble end to end. For just a couple hours from Tulsa, we need to hit those trails more often. I get so tired of Turkey Mountain here(never thought I would say that)

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    We Did slaughter Pen right after it opened and have done the Womble end to end. For just a couple hours from Tulsa, we need to hit those trails more often. I get so tired of Turkey Mountain here(never thought I would say that)
    You probably wouldn't recognize Slaughter Pen if you haven't ridden it since it opened. I don't even remember how long it's been around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Oh yeah. If you haven't been out since the opening of Slaughter Pen... you're going to be in for quite a surprise. In addition to Slaughter Pen, we now have:

Coler Mountain Bike Preserve (big hits, dual slalom course, big drops).
    Back 40 (20+ mile loop with lots of internal trails as well. Flowy with good climbs and some really cool tough alt routes)
    Fitzgerald Mountain (rocky, technical and beautiful).
    Mt. Kessler (it's been around forever, but it's been given a facelift and new trails, and it's amazing)

Then, of course, Eureka Springs has the Downhill Project and Passion Play trails.

mtbr member
    I'm fired up about all the trails. Just trying to find more time to get over there.(buying/selling houses) It is really just a few hours. I think there was one loop when we did slaughter pen, and it wasn't really anything special at that point. Spent most of our time in the park below. I don't know when it was...2006 or 2007 maybe?

Im too old and fat to do the big hit stuff, but looks to be plenty to do....

mtbr member
    We did make it over to Eureka yesterday. Had a blast. Didn't go real big on anything, but hit 3, 4, 5, and 6. All were fun in their own right. Had a bunch of uber novices with us, not that I am much better, but all had a good time. Everything had a bypass for the most part if you weren't comfortable, even the one black run we did.

No worse for wear, one endo in a rock garden, but not even a scrape. My buddy cut his hand on an endo off a jump, but it was minor and his wife was with us..or behind us and caught up. She's a nurse so had a killer first aid kit.

Will be back.

mtbr member
    There is an enduro race out there this weekend I think. Iíve only been able to make one race of the Arkansas Enduro Series, but it was awesome. Iíd like to take a stab at the full series next season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    We did make it over to Eureka yesterday. Had a blast. Didn't go real big on anything, but hit 3, 4, 5, and 6. All were fun in their own right. Had a bunch of uber novices with us, not that I am much better, but all had a good time. Everything had a bypass for the most part if you weren't comfortable, even the one black run we did.

No worse for wear, one endo in a rock garden, but not even a scrape. My buddy cut his hand on an endo off a jump, but it was minor and his wife was with us..or behind us and caught up. She's a nurse so had a killer first aid kit.

Will be back.
    Glad you liked it. The Passion Play is supposedly great as well haven't hit it yet. If you decide to hit Slaughter Pen and want someone to show you around feel free to hit me up. I don't know if all the new stuff is on the maps yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebomberx View Post
    There is an enduro race out there this weekend I think. Iíve only been able to make one race of the Arkansas Enduro Series, but it was awesome. Iíd like to take a stab at the full series next season.

Yeah, it's this weekend. Will hit the DH zone and the new Passion Play trails. Which race did you hit?

mtbr member
    I was at Big Brushy earlier this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    Glad you liked it. The Passion Play is supposedly great as well haven't hit it yet. If you decide to hit Slaughter Pen and want someone to show you around feel free to hit me up. I don't know if all the new stuff is on the maps yet.

Thanks, appreciate it. We just kind of ran out of time. Shuttles were really busy to start but had thinned out by early afternoon. You can time it so you get back right as the shuttle does so worked out pretty well.

Would have like to get over to the passion play trails, but not enough time to do everything in one day...lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Would have like to get over to the passion play trails, but not enough time to do everything in one day...lol.
    I can see where if you're driving in that could get frustrating but living here it's a great problem to have lol.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Judging from my social media feed, there were some shredders over there this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfly View Post
    Judging from my social media feed, there were some shredders over there this weekend.
    Must have been me...lol. Im too old and fat to get more than about 6" off the ground.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    I can see where if you're driving in that could get frustrating but living here it's a great problem to have lol.

Just need to spend the entire weekend...a long weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Are the trails steep or just techy ? Maybe a little of both?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecRider96 View Post
    Are the trails steep or just techy ? Maybe a little of both?
    Definitely a little of both. I went over this weekend with my 10 year old, and it was really, really awesome. My impressions in comparison to Crested Butte / Evolution Bike Park (which we went to this summer):

1) Obviously the runs aren't nearly as long as they are out West. Nor are they as steep. Out West, my hands would be killing me from riding brakes and braking bumps, but I didn't really have any hand cramping or issues at all at Leatherwood, probably due to not having to brake as much and shorter runs.

2) I found the blues at Leatherwood to be more akin to Blacks at Evolution, especially with the features and rock gardens, which were no joke. The main difference is that the Blues at Evolution are, on average, steeper.
    3) All of the signs claim "Mandatory" drops and features, but you can generally walk almost anything and many features and drops have alternate lines, so don't be scared off by the signage.

4) Start with the Green to warm up. It's actually a ton of fun, then work up in difficulty.

5) There is some really big, really gnarly stuff.

Typical "flow" of the trails seems to be lots of jumps up top, then into more rock features, and lots of technical steeper stuff toward the bottom. This video is pretty good of one of the trails with bigger features and some good tech toward the end.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7XaHeKgpLE

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Awesome thank you ! Looks like one guy was riding a DH bike, Im not much of a jumper but I like the steep tech stuff! Hope to get out there around February and ride if the weather is good.