Coming down to Ga to do a race or two this year after a ten year hiatus- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Coming down to Ga to do a race or two this year after a ten year hiatus

I used to race a bit back in college in the early 'aughts (Go Columbus State Cougars!) mostly in the old Sport class in the Georgia Championship Series before moving up here to Alaska and getting out of the racing scene for the better part of a decade. Mostly, I'm wondering which category I should register for. I got back into racing a few years ago and quickly got my old fitness back and won Sport in the local series in 2017. Last year I upgraded to Expert last year and finished mostly in the top 5 with a couple 3rd place finishes behind the two fastest guys up here. Btw, we don't have a Pro class, but some of these guys are Pro level; one of them won the Alaskaman Triathlon last year, but I digress. I'm leaning toward going for Cat1 and just taking my chances, but I'd appreciate any feedback you guys might offer.

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!
    Most of the XC races here are USA Cycling, so you would have go register what your USAC license says. You can't race Cat. 1 on a one-day license. I'd contact USAC for some guidance on this. You may have to buy an annual license.

If you are talking about some of the 3/6 hour races that are not USAC, you should register for the category you think you should. If you are racing Expert/Cat. 1 than you shouldn't race Base/Sport (Cat. 2/3).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    USAC Cat1 XC license acquired, and registration for the race in Social Circle next weekend completed. My next question if I may: Given the wet weather recently, what tires are people running in that neck of the woods?