Cohutta in November?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Cohutta in November?

My son is going to School in Huntsville, AL and I go there for work frequently. I am hoping to meet up with him over Thanksgiving and go for a multi-day ride.

I found the Cohutta Death March and it looks like it would be a good choice for us but I am wondering what to expect in late November as far as weather and services.

Here in Alaska most campgrounds shutdown in the winter and some of the businesses in do to.

Thanks.

Cycologist
    November can vary in Georgia but usually isn't very cold. And I imagine renting cabins in the area is a big business for the Thanksgiving weekend. I'm pretty sure campgrounds wouldn't close. That looks like a fun route, I need to hit that sometime.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Having a nice day!
    I would think what constitutes cold in GA is far different than AK November is one of my favorite times of the year to ride in the GA mountains as the temps are generally pleasant and you get better views as most of the leaves have dropped.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Between my job and my house remodel I am worn out, but planning (AKA daydreaming about) this trip is keeping me going!

I think I am most concerned about snakes. But they won't be too active at that time of year right?

Cold is no issue. We have camped, on purpose, at below freezing temps, so rain is more concerning than cold itself. Would this be a rainier than normal time of year? It seems like my work colleagues in north AL are always talking about storm warnings so I have not been able to figure out if they have a bad season or not.

Cycologist
    Should be cold enough that snakes won't be out. I really don't remember seeing many in the Cohuttas. The water is too cold for Water Moccasins and rattle snakes are pretty rare, I think I have only seen one in Georgia. Copperheads are somewhat common in Georgia but not anything to worry about. We're having weird weather, much hotter than normal for this time of year currently. I live just north of Atlanta and don't recall November being very rainy.

I just googled it and got:

Cohutta Wilderness, 2694 Old Highway 2, Cisco, GA

November 54 / 36 rain 7 days

Not usually storms as such, but more likely rain during the night. My dad and I got trapped once backpacking when the river (Conasauga) rose, making it very difficult to cross, even after waiting awhile. And the trail crossed the river a lot!
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.