Cochran Mill lowdown?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Cochran Mill lowdown?

HI, looking to ride Cochran Mill late next week and have never ridden there previously but since i'm going to be in the area i thought i would give it a ride. any suggestions tips or anything of note anyone wants to share would be appreciated. i am a solid intermediate rider.

thanks!

ron

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Park in the parking lot and ride to the trail at the back of the parking lot (yellow trail). Its essentially a lollipop, loop with and out and back to get to it. After finishing back at lot, jump on the paved road going away from the park, cross a couple of bridges, then red trail enters on left. Red trail the best trail out there. Make sure when riding the red trail you also go on the inner loop (I think its called tasty grub) or you will miss a few extra fun miles.

To me, I think counter clockwise is the best direction for both red and yellow but ride it both ways to judge for yourself.

I typically dont ride any of the orange trails unless i go down to see the mill ruins along the creek. I could be missing out but was never shown these. i dont think it is much mileage any way.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    'Just been there (3) x so far, but really enjoyed it. Great variety, punchy climbs, great flow and quite easy to follow, very well maintained......would ride it much more, if it weren't an 8 hr drive :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Cochran is really fun for me on my rigid SS. I pretty much blast those trails as hard as I can. It's not a super technical system, but it is tight single track where it's easy to clip rocks with your pedals or trees with your shoulders or handle bars. Watched an experienced rider get slammed to the ground in an innocuous section after she clipped her bars on a 2 inch sappling. Go early in the morning. The trail get more crowded with hikers and less experienced bikers later in the day. Also, the trails are closed during rain and the day after, so keep that in mind.

Cycologist
    Very scenic, plan enough time to take a few breaks to check things out. Take a map or pick up one in the parking lot kiosk (if there are any in stock); I always get lost there. Fun on a SS as mentioned, red trails have some technical spots and yes, rocks, I destroyed a brand new rear derailleur there. The green/orange trails are a mix of very easy and tricky, some of it is not really mountain bike trails as such and last time I was there, I couldn't find my way completely around as the map showed. I got lost at the nature center; couldn't find where the trail picked back up and tried the opposite direction but also reached a spot where I couldn't find the trail. But they lead to some nice scenic spots with big granite expanses with the creek flowing across and a dam. I saw the other day that they just installed a bridge at the mill ruins/waterfall opposite the parking lot.

If it rains and the trails are wet, you can ride Dirty Sheets, a gravel route that shares a bit of the double track mtb trails. Also very scenic.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    I've only been there once when I went out to see my brother. While I was there I stole Chaz's parking spot. My brother rides there quite often as that is the closest trail to his house. I had a great time.

Cochran Mill lowdown?-20180203_122617.jpg
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    thanks everyone for the replies and info! planning on riding there this coming friday afternoon or early saturday morning. have to be down that way to help a friend and if i finish in time i will ride friday. went ahead and got a room for Friday night. anyplace with good local drafts and food nearby?

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    I've only been there once when I went out to see my brother. While I was there I stole Chaz's parking spot. My brother rides there quite often as that is the closest trail to his house. I had a great time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180203_122617.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	1218186
    lol, yep!

Cochran Mill lowdown?-dragon.jpg

Sorry, Ron, I'm not familiar with the area as far as food and drink, just riding. You owe us a shot with your bike in my parking space.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    lol, yep!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	1218676

Sorry, Ron, I'm not familiar with the area as far as food and drink, just riding. You owe us a shot with your bike in my parking space.
    i'll see what i can do about finding that parking spot....

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    There's a place called Frank's that next 2 the 2 gas stations by the exit off the interstate that's pretty good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    It was a killer spot to loose my virginity in 1974 before it became a park and housing development! I remember a bunch of us high school folks going swimming and rock sliding one December. I slid down the slickrock slide and emerged covered in leeches. I couldn't reach most of them on my back and a$$ so the hottest girl in my class volunteered. Of course the water was freezing and when I dropped my shorts, well, you know the rest of the story...

I haven't been back in over 45 years. Glad to hear it's being utilized for MTB trails.
    I buy a bike about every 10 years...I guess I'm overdue...:thumbsup:

The perfessor
    Quote Originally Posted by The AKH View Post
    Cochran is really fun for me on my rigid SS. I pretty much blast those trails as hard as I can. It's not a super technical system, but it is tight single track where it's easy to clip rocks with your pedals or trees with your shoulders or handle bars. Watched an experienced rider get slammed to the ground in an innocuous section after she clipped her bars on a 2 inch sappling.
    THIS is the reason I still ride 680 mm bar rather than move above 700 mm; some GA trails have some tight squeezes between saplings or trees that'll take you down in a heartbeat, I know, I broke a collarbone squeezing through a tight set of saplings at Chicopee....
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 Hybrid Bike