Central Florida riders...new flow trail coming to the Santos Vortex!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Central Florida riders...new flow trail coming to the Santos Vortex!

I'm one of the builders at the Santos Vortex and figured I'd post this here for anyone familiar with our trail system.

So, a few months back my buddy, who's also the freeride coordinator, contacted Sensus R.A.D. Trails about building a flow trail that we've had approved for some while now. For those who don't know, Sensus R.A.D. Trails was started by pro freerider Cam Zink and his buddy Cody Wilkinson, who rips as well. Not expecting much to come out of it, Cam Zink is a pro rider with a busy schedule and whatnot afterall, my buddy sent out the email anyway. Well, shortly after firing off the email, he got a response and ~ 2 weeks later we were walking the proposed trail with Cam and Cody. That was back in April.

Fast forward to last Monday and we broke ground! Cody flew in from the West Coast, even with a badly broken but healing wrist, rented the equipment needed and started going to town. It's Central Florida so we don't have too much elevation, IIRC our highest elevation at Santos is ~80ft above sea level, but we're using what we have to the best of our ability.

Yesterday, I walked the trail and made a quick hyperlapse of the progress. Here's a link:

https://youtu.be/pPmkYYLM81Q

This is going to be the most fun trail in the Santos trail system, IMO. We should have the first section open in ~2wks or so. The actual grand opening will be at our Fat Tire Fest in March.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple.
    Spank//i9//Deity//Magura//DVO

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This is going to be amazing. I've never thought flow would be possible in FL without some elevation, but it's seems promising

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Oh my, I'm looking forward to this. I have a yearly winter migration that hits these florida trails, yummmm, this looks good!!!!!

mtbr member
    Great job on bringing this to Santos. We are extremely fortunate to have Santos and Alafia to ride. We appreciate all your hard work and time that you put in. This flow trail is going to be epic.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the kind words! We have a small group of volunteers that make it all happen.

Minor update to show the new wall ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h48sJdrPzc&t=41s

Hi There!
    Thank you all. Love me some Santos.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Excited that I can announce it now....

Cam Zink will be at our Fat Tire Fest in March, to ride and do a Q&A session.

To quote our association president: "If you don't know who Cam Zink is, do a Google search and be prepared to hold your breath." lol

mtbr member
    New update video. First roll-in is built and second one is nearing completion.

https://youtu.be/gkECQr4H-sg

mtbr member
    Little update:

The first section is open and it's a blast!

https://youtu.be/T4NyN-5R5G8

The second and much longer section should be open in less than 2wks. Here's a few pics:

15' table that is also going to have a tombstone on one side:

Wall ride to change direction:

Coming off the wall ride into the S-berms:

S-berms, there's going to be a set of 4:

The last section is going to be a set of sharp, fast s-berms that you can roll out of at the bottom or hit a shark fin jump option:

mtbr member
    May 2006
    so sick!

mtbr member
    Rode the whole thing a few times last night to test it and get some tires on it. It's a freaking blast! The big table now has a tombstone option, if you're wanting to send it a bit further. We're planning on having the whole thing open this Saturday!

New video:
    https://youtu.be/6PqSSu2zY88

mtbr member
    It's open! Top to bottom! Place was PACKED this past weekend with people coming from all over the state to try it out. Thankfully the weather was great all weekend.

Here's a short train video of the big table section...

https://youtu.be/oDvX90MYdHI

mtbr member
    Wow! Excellent job on the trail. You guys are killing it up there.

mtbr member
    Hey, if you guys can get Cam for a bit after Fat Tire, you all should bring him down here to Alafia for some riding, beers, and the best taco's you will ever have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wideawakejake View Post
    Hey, if you guys can get Cam for a bit after Fat Tire, you all should bring him down here to Alafia for some riding, beers, and the best taco's you will ever have.
    Can't promise anything. It was hard enough to get him back for FTF because of his busy schedule.

mtbr member
    Hit Santos two weeks ago. The flow trail is really nice. It was initially the first trail we were going to hit but someone had just crashed and unfortunately needed EMS. So later in the day we went back and probably sessioned it four or five times. The end where the S-Curves are is amazing.

I hadn't been up there in probably two years but it was worth the drive from Broward County. Hit Carter Rd the next day. Finally got to ride "Your Mom" and that trail just awesome. Incredible what the builders were able to do in such a small narrow space.
    09 Specialized Enduro Carbon Pro
    14 Kona Process 111 DL
    15 Niner RIP9 RDO
    17 Niner RIP9 RDO
    18 Orbea Rallon
    20 Banshee Titan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 13JKU View Post
    Hit Santos two weeks ago. The flow trail is really nice. It was initially the first trail we were going to hit but someone had just crashed and unfortunately needed EMS. So later in the day we went back and probably sessioned it four or five times. The end where the S-Curves are is amazing.

I hadn't been up there in probably two years but it was worth the drive from Broward County. Hit Carter Rd the next day. Finally got to ride "Your Mom" and that trail just awesome. Incredible what the builders were able to do in such a small narrow space.
    Ah, yeah the trail has taken out a few people so far, mostly inexperienced riders who think because they see a kid or an older person riding it, that they also have the skill to ride it and end up in over their heads way too quick. My friends mom broke her arm bad on the big table about 2wks ago. Again, inexperienced rider not realizing her skill limit.

I ate it on the first jump after missing the bars trying a one-hander (that I' had done 20x before lol) and took a pretty hard smack on the concre...I mean dirt. It is not soft, at all. Ended up with a bad "burn" on my shoulder and a bruised right thigh, nothing major thankfully.

I'm from Broward as well, Coral Springs to be exact. All we had growing up was a BMX track, that eventually got torn down. It's great to see all the MTB parks/trails popping up all over the state!!