Camp Robinson Noob Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Camp Robinson Noob Trails

Hey guys, I am looking for recommendations on what trails a new guy, who is out of shape, should try out at the camp?

I haven't been out yet, but I am looking forward to trying it out soon, so let me know what you think...

-Robert

Dirty South Underdog
    You don't get better by riding the easy stuff, so just get out there & have at it!
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Hmm... I don't want to die my first time out.

But there is nothing like learning the hard way I guess..

-Robert

mtbr member
    there is nothing at camp robinson that is too difficult. however, if fitness is an issue then you might want to stay up top. the trails up top are as follows:
    5 mile - intermediate, a couple longish climbs
    yucca - easy beginner trail
    10 bridges - easy beginner trail, lots of twists and turns
    *dogwood - all downhill one way, but very rocky, takes you to the lower trails
    porta potty - really fun beginner trail
    outer loop - beginner/intermediate
    airport loop - beginner
    christmas tree - intermediate
    zig zag - intermediate
    buddha - intermediate and oh so fun.

if you do go lower then the easy trails are: can o corn and dead elvis.

i really would worry too much about difficulty. if theres something you cant clear then just walk it. most of camp rob is in the easy/intermediate range. you will get lost your first couple times unless you go with someone that knows the trails. none of the maps are very good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    there is nothing at camp robinson that is too difficult. however, if fitness is an issue then you might want to stay up top. the trails up top are as follows:
    5 mile - intermediate, a couple longish climbs
    yucca - easy beginner trail
    10 bridges - easy beginner trail, lots of twists and turns
    *dogwood - all downhill one way, but very rocky, takes you to the lower trails
    porta potty - really fun beginner trail
    outer loop - beginner/intermediate
    airport loop - beginner
    christmas tree - intermediate
    zig zag - intermediate
    buddha - intermediate and oh so fun.

if you do go lower then the easy trails are: can o corn and dead elvis.

i really would worry too much about difficulty. if theres something you cant clear then just walk it. most of camp rob is in the easy/intermediate range. you will get lost your first couple times unless you go with someone that knows the trails. none of the maps are very good.
    Wow! Thank you very much for the detailed info. It is a fitness issue I am worried about as for the past 15 years I have done nothing to keep in shape.

I got my bike last Thursday and have ridden at least 2 - 3 miles each day, excluding Sunday. Saturday I went out to Burns Park with a friend that knows his way around and we did about 50/50 trails and road.

I am getting used to handling the bike and my rear is getting used to the saddle

I am hoping to go out to CR this weekend and try my luck with a group of guys from work. I expect I will be damaged after that..

Thanks again for the information!

-Robert

mtbr member
    camp robinson is 1000x better than burns park. all of these trails are easier than burns park: Yucca, Porta Potty, Airport Loop, 10 Bridges. there is no reason to ride burns park when camp rob is 10 minutes away. make sure when you go to CR that you have current car ins and registration, you will need to show it to get in.

it takes about 3 mos to start to feel good after being totally deconditioned - hang in there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If there are any group rides I could join or if anyone wants to act as tour guide for an out-of-towner the end of next week, let me know. Probably looking at Wed, Thur, or Friday.

Is it easy to get a CR pass? Can I pay for a CARP membership at one of the local shops and ride the same day?

mtbr member
    yes you can get a carp card same day, super easy and i recommend going to chainwheel bikes. if i am free on friday i could show you around but i wont know until thursday.

mtbr member
    For those interested, I managed to find a series of videos the trails at CR. I find it difficult to identify elevation changes from vids, but they might give you an idea of what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fgadfly

-Robert

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rjgarcia
    For those interested, I managed to find a series of videos the trails at CR. I find it difficult to identify elevation changes from vids, but they might give you an idea of what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fgadfly

-Robert
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing. There's a nice GPS map referenced in the comments of one of the vids. Cool.

So, a couple of questions for your regulars:
    * I see a lot of possibilities coming out of the parking area. What are your recommendations for first-timer that might not be back for another year? I see the descriptions above, and will take those into consideration. Are there any "must-do's"?
    * Are the trails marked? I may end up riding solo my first time, so I want to know how well prepared I should be.
    * Is there trail mileage noted anywhere?
    * Looks like some showers are forecasted for the middle of next week. How well do the trails drain? How concerned should I be that the trails won't be rideable?

yes you can get a carp card same day, super easy and i recommend going to chainwheel bikes. if i am free on friday i could show you around but i wont know until thursday.
    Thanks, I'll plan on hitting up Chainwheel. It's actually a pretty convenient location for me. Looks like it's in - or very near - the Breckenridge shopping center. I'll try to keep my plans posted. If we can meet up for a couple of laps, that'd be cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fleetwood
    Thanks, I'll plan on hitting up Chainwheel. It's actually a pretty convenient location for me. Looks like it's in - or very near - the Breckenridge shopping center. I'll try to keep my plans posted. If we can meet up for a couple of laps, that'd be cool.
    I can't help with the rest, but it is right across the street. It is in a shopping center that has a Kroger among other things in it.

-Robert

mtbr member
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing. There's a nice GPS map referenced in the comments of one of the vids. Cool.

So, a couple of questions for your regulars:
    * I see a lot of possibilities coming out of the parking area. What are your recommendations for first-timer that might not be back for another year? I see the descriptions above, and will take those into consideration. Are there any "must-do's"?
    * Are the trails marked? I may end up riding solo my first time, so I want to know how well prepared I should be.
    * Is there trail mileage noted anywhere?
    * Looks like some showers are forecasted for the middle of next week. How well do the trails drain? How concerned should I be that the trails won't be rideable?

if you have average to decent fitness then i would suggest taking Yucca until it ends then taking a left on the doubletrack/road riding about 1/2 mi then taking a right onto Porta-Potty. then follow the Porta Potty signs back to the double track, then back home on Yucca.

regarding the rest of your questions:

most of the trails are marked but mileage is not listed. the ride i outlined above is probably 5-6 miles.

some stuff drains well, some doesnt. what i listed above does drain well. if you hit the lower trails they do not drain as well. 5 mile, yucca, outer loop, airport loop, buddha, zig zag, porta potty and christmas tree drain well and can generally be ridden the day after a rain.

can o corn, dead elvis and 10 bridges DO NOT drain well.

**i left the advanced trails out of this discussion but they all drain reasonably well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I can't help with the rest, but it is right across the street. It is in a shopping center that has a Kroger among other things in it.

-Robert
    Got it. I know exactly where you are talking about. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    if you have average to decent fitness then i would suggest taking Yucca until it ends then taking a left on the doubletrack/road riding about 1/2 mi then taking a right onto Porta-Potty. then follow the Porta Potty signs back to the double track, then back home on Yucca.

regarding the rest of your questions:

most of the trails are marked but mileage is not listed. the ride i outlined above is probably 5-6 miles.

some stuff drains well, some doesnt. what i listed above does drain well. if you hit the lower trails they do not drain as well. 5 mile, yucca, outer loop, airport loop, buddha, zig zag, porta potty and christmas tree drain well and can generally be ridden the day after a rain.

can o corn, dead elvis and 10 bridges DO NOT drain well.

**i left the advanced trails out of this discussion but they all drain reasonably well.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I just checked out the map to get my bearings. If it is at all wet I will stick to the trails you referenced. What are the most advanced trails, and what makes them advanced? TTF's, terrain, elevation change?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recommendation. I just checked out the map to get my bearings. If it is at all wet I will stick to the trails you referenced. What are the most advanced trails, and what makes them advanced? TTF's, terrain, elevation change?
    the yucca-porta potty-and back wont get very muddy and you shouldnt have a big problem sticking to the trails, same goes for 5 mile, outer loop, zig zag and buddha.

what makes the advanced trails more difficult are:
    terrain: more rocks, steeper transitions, mild exposure
    longer steeper climbs
    more creek crossings
    more tight switchbacks

there is nothing at camp robinson that is extremely difficult. some of the advanced trails just have few sections that a beginner might walk but they are short and not all that frequent. if you can clean everything on 5 mile or outer loop then you can probably ride anything camp rob has with relative ease.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just saw something on the CARP website about the Epic Rock being cancelled due to policy changes at the base. Does this effect general riding?

mtbr member
    I was wondering the same thing and asked in the thread about the Rock Epic and didn't get a response yet.

I will let you know as I plan on going out early tomorrow morning..

-Robert

mtbr member
    i was on base yesterday and there were no issues. if they were making a big change then we'd know about it. my guess is that the base didnt want to overwhelm the check in people with 100+ carp riders. its become pretty busy out there and ive heard the security people complain about so many of us that they dont get their other stuff done. take home message is that we should be very polite and thankful when checking in.

mtbr member
    i was on base yesterday and there were no issues. if they were making a big change then we'd know about it. my guess is that the base didnt want to overwhelm the check in people with 100+ carp riders. its become pretty busy out there and ive heard the security people complain about so many of us that they dont get their other stuff done. take home message is that we should be very polite and thankful when checking in.
    Excellent! Thank you for the update.

Do we need to start bringing them adult beverages for their off duty time?

-Robert

mtbr member
    Here is a loop that I did today that felt good and might be good for the noobs.

It starts on Yucca, all of Airport Loop, and then finishes through 10 Bridges.

Here you go!

mtbr member
    Here is a loop that I did today that felt good and might be good for the noobs.

It starts on Yucca, all of Airport Loop, and then finishes through 10 Bridges.

Here you go!

rjg, can you layer the trail maps you make on top of each other? it would sure be nice to develop a new carp map. the current one is super hard to read... the way you did the trail above is very cool.

mtbr member
    rjg, can you layer the trail maps you make on top of each other? it would sure be nice to develop a new carp map. the current one is super hard to read... the way you did the trail above is very cool.
    Sure, I have been thinking about doing this. I will need to create a new segment or track for each trail while riding it, so I will start on it next weekend, then figure out how to make each track selectable, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I can't promise when the harder trails will be done though.. ;-)

-Robert

mtbr member
    no trail at camp robinson is truly expert. most of the difficult trails have some short difficult sections but even a beginner could ride 90% plus... theres no shame in walking a short section. i cant wait to see your mapping!

mtbr member
    Which format do you guys think is better..

A or B?

-Robert

mtbr member
    i like them both when in the hybrid map mode. vastly better than the carp map!!

have you ridden porta potty yet? great trail and not difficult. if you can do porta potty easily then consider outer loop. i'm happy to show you the trails sometime, let me know.

mtbr member
    Didn't know if you guys/gals had seen this interactive map.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasOutside
    Where have you been! That is nice, did I miss a link to it from the main CARP page? Thank you for letting us know!

-Robert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasOutside
    thats a really nice map! exactly what i was envisioning rjg to do. that map needs to be on the carp site tho and a sticky here in this forum.

mtbr member
    I found it posted on the CARP facebook site. That map along with may some trail descriptions would be awesome.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    I added a link to that map in the Sticky thread about Arkansas trails.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=383057

-Robert

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    We need to talk to Gary or whoever updates the CARP website and get it posted up there...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rm101326
    We need to talk to Gary or whoever updates the CARP website and get it posted up there...
    That would be good. I am working on it a little by making it full screen and I am going to add the difficulty ratings to the legend so it can be printed out easily.

-Robert

PS - Here is what I am working on..

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That would be good. I am working on it a little by making it full screen and I am going to add the difficulty ratings to the legend so it can be printed out easily.

-Robert

PS - Here is what I am working on..
    awesome map, i finally understand the trails after all this time....

mtbr member
    Ok, I added the difficulty ratings onto the map via the legend and it also pops up on the info window when you click on the actual trail, so it can be printed with all of the necessary information.

Let me know if any changes need to be made. I will start looking for a new home for the map now.

-Robert

mtbr member
    very cool

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey all. I'm back in Virginia, but I did manage to get in a ride at CR while there. I arrived last Friday at about 9:30 AM. The weather was absolutely perfect. I had purchased my CARP membership on Thursday, and got my "blue pass" with no difficulty, although I got it at the main entrance and not at the police station described on the CARP website. Once through the gate, I found my way back to the CARP parking lot.

The only vehicle there was some kind of white utility truck. I unloaded my bike, geared up, and headed down the trail. Using a trail recommendation from scoutcat, I rode Yucca, passed through the Christmas Tree area (nice decorations, btw) onto the fire road, and found the entrance to Porta Potty.

I rode Porta Potty clockwise and aside from a little confusion where it dumps out on Outer Loop toward the end, all went well. Back out on the fire road, I consulted my map, and continued down the fire road to Christmas Tree, which I took back to Yucca.

After a short break, I headed back into Christmas Tree and did the Extension clockwise. Unfortunately, somewhere on that trail my back seized up on me. Not sure what that was about, but aside from some discomfort it didn't slow me down too much. Once exiting, I headed back out Yucca to the parking lot.

The white truck was gone, and no other vehicles were parked. I couldn't believe it, but I guess most people were working. It just seemed uncanny to have 40 miles of trails to myself. Not ready to leave, I headed back in and took 10 bridges. This was a fun little trail to finish up with, but it had some wet sections. Also, along the way, there were two 4-wheelers parked on the side of the trail. I didn't see anyone, but I didn't stop to look around either. Based on the wet sections and the "visitors", I decided that I would return back to the parking lot on Yucca again. Altogether, I got in about 11 miles and had a great time.

None of these trails were that difficult, but they all had some sections to keep you on your toes. I was stopped by more than one switchback to rocky ascent. On most though, I was able to regroup and take a successful run at it. And speaking of rocks. Man, I am used to riding rocks in VA, but yours come out of the ground like teeth! I was worried about flats on more than one occasion.

It would have been nice to ride with someone, but it was kinda cool to explore solo. Actually, every time I stopped I was visited by some huge flies, so it felt like I did have company.

Thanks to scoutcat and the others for all the information and the offers to try and get together. Since I was visiting family, my evenings were tied up with them. By the way, I used the "olderascal" map and it worked just fine. I will definitely plan to explore more trails when I am back in town.

Here's a couple of more pics I snapped.

mtbr member
    nice pics. camp is a great place to ride. porta potty is a fun fast trail! next time you are in town hit me up and we'll explore some more trails. i too was attacked by flies on saturday but i rode this evening and didnt run into any.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have started using Vimeo because the quality seems to be better. I am not spending any time adding music or anything to my videos yet, I am simply posting footage so don't expect to be amazed by anything. I intend to capture some footage of the new trail this afternoon and hopefully have it posted tonight. I am curious to see how the helmet cam performs now that the leaves are out.

Members who have read this thread: 0