mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Best Setup/Tires for South Florida Trail Parks?

Hello all,
    I started riding the South Florida Trails Parks recently, mainly Virginia Key, Amelia and Markham.
    What is the best setup for those Trails/Parks?
    Iím interested in learning about the tires (brand, model and size) used for those conditions.
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    Hello all,
    I started riding the South Florida Trails Parks recently, mainly Virginia Key, Amelia and Markham.
    What is the best setup for those Trails/Parks?
    Iím interested in learning about the tires (brand, model and size) used for those conditions.
    Thanks in advance.
    What are you riding?

On my 29er hardtail, I run Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 up front with a Ikon 2.2 rear

My 27.5 Trance has Nobby Nic front, Racing Ralph back, 2.25 both.

The TCX has Maxxis Ramblers on both ends, 40mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloMike View Post
    What are you riding?

On my 29er hardtail, I run Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 up front with a Ikon 2.2 rear

My 27.5 Trance has Nobby Nic front, Racing Ralph back, 2.25 both.

The TCX has Maxxis Ramblers on both ends, 40mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For the Parks Iím running my Rockhopper Pro with the Specialized Ground Control tires (2.3 front and 2.1 rear).
    2.3 front/rear is the maximum size for that bike. Iím looking at replacing the 2.1 rear tire with a 2.3 tire. Or maybe both tires, with one of the Maxxis models.
    Last edited by j102; 03-31-2018 at 08:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Anyone else?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I run a 2.6 nobby nic front and 2.6 rocket Ron rear. Mostly riding Alafia. These work really well and the 2.6s roll much better in the softer sand than the 2.35s I had before.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    It would be nice to run 2.6 tires, but my bikes only take 2.3 max.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    It would be nice to run 2.6 tires, but my bikes only take 2.3 max.
    Then I'd run a high volume, floaty and fast 2.35s. A rock razor rear and nic or even Mary front would be a good setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post
    Then I'd run a high volume, floaty and fast 2.35s. A rock razor rear and nic or even Mary front would be a good setup.

Thanks. I am considering the Maxxis Minion DHRII front/rear or DHF front/DHRII rear.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That'd be more than enough grip. They are fairly heavy and slow rolling through.

Coffee Drinker
    Minion DHF and Minion SS work well in S Florida.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Go to a race and see what the fast guys are running. There's one at Markham this weekend, you'll see alot of Ikons, Fast Traks, Racing Ralphs and Mezcals in 2.2 to 2.35.
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I would say look at some Schwable tires in 2.25-2.35 size for these parks. I found that as the sweet spot for me down south. Markham has lots of hard packed so you don't need a ton of grip on them. Same for Virginia although they have more rock so you might not want to go super light.

The way i have looked at brands they all offer something a little different. For example Schwalbe tends to have the lowest weight tires, which is great but they might not be as durable, I have never had durability problems with them though. I am now on Maxxis DHF 2.6 front and Rekon 2.6 rear and really like them. Maxxis seems to be heavier, more durable, and have better grip. The 2.6's really help where its sandy and I am in central FL now where there is a lot more sugar sand.

I would suggest you figure out exactly what traits you want from tires and go from there, you shouldn't need a ton of grip with those trails and you shouldn't need the most durable tire. Something like a 2.25 Rocket Ron rear and 2.35 Nobby Nic front might be a great combo for you.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    For anywhere in Florida I think a fast rolling 2.35 Ikon/Minion SS/Rock Razor type rear and a medium tread front are prefect. DHR/DHF is overkill. That said, one is on the front of my FS bike. I've been running a 2.35 Ikon R / 2.35 Forekaster front as my local Florida combo for a while and it's been good. Mountain trips the DHRs go on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Thanks for your responses guys.
    Most of the Maxxis Tires in 2.3 with Dual Compound, 60 TPI, and EXO/TR (Minion DHF/DHRII, Ardent, for example) weight about the same.
    The IKONs are a bit ligther.
    Last edited by j102; 04-03-2018 at 04:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I'm riding on a Maxxis 29x2.6 Rekon on the front, and a Ikon 29x2.35 rear. That is on I9 wheels with 24.5 internal measurement.

Seems to work pretty good for the mix of rocks, roots, and loose sand. I went with the 2.6 up front to give more grip in the loose, previously had an Ikon 2.35 on the front and wasn't enough.

Ultimated Outsider
    Minion DHF 27.5x2.6 front, Minion DHR II 27.5x2.6 rear, work well for my hard tail at Markham so it should be cake at the other FL parks.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

The DHF 29x2.3 and DHRII 29x2.3 combo has been great for the Parks. Good grip, good breaking, cornering and climbing well, etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SlowSLC View Post
    I'm riding on a Maxxis 29x2.6 Rekon on the front, and a Ikon 29x2.35 rear. That is on I9 wheels with 24.5 internal measurement.

Seems to work pretty good for the mix of rocks, roots, and loose sand. I went with the 2.6 up front to give more grip in the loose, previously had an Ikon 2.35 on the front and wasn't enough.
    Same here, I love this setup for just about every trail we have here. I've tried my Minion DHF / Aggressor combo that I have for NC trips, and it felt very sluggish. You really need something that rolls fast to keep momentum unless you're just a beast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I've been riding the Hans Dampf 27.5x2.35 on a 27mm internal width rim at Markham and Quiet Waters for a few months since they are stock on my bike. I'm looking to upgrade the wheels to a Stan's Flow/Hope Pro4 combo. This new rim is 29mm internal width and I'm planning to go tubeless so I'd like to get new tires as well.

The vast majority of my intended riding for this bike will be in Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties so this thread is of great interest to me.

I haven't been unhappy with the Hans Dampfs but really have nothing to compare them to. Anyone have any experience with these as well as some of the others recommended in this thread? I'd love to know how the Nobby Nic, Magic Mary, and/or the Maxis DHR, DHF, Icon, Recon, etc. compare to the Hans Dampfs for the terrain and conditions we encounter in South FL trails.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ikon 2.2 / 2.35 combo, and you can ride anything in FL.....long-lasting, great performance.

mtbr member
    Here is all you need to know about tires here in FL. You will notice almost every one riding in spandex, tight zipper shirts, and funny looking sunglasses, are using Ikon's and Racing Ralph's/Rocket Ron's. The guys wearing baggies, flat pedal shoes, and mx jerseys, are using DHF and DHR. That's it. By the way, those HD tires are really good. They are one of my favorites and very underrated. Dont be so quick to give them up. They are great in FL. Fast, predictable, and forgiving. But not cheap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Yeah, I've been trying to pay attention to the tires on other bikes I see on the trails for the past few weeks and there appears to be some truth there...

I have seen quite a few Minion DHF and DHRs on bikes similar to mine as well. I'm definitely in the Baggies and Flats group so I guess that's the ticket for me ;-)

Thanks, yes so far I'm pretty happy with the HDs and since they have quite a bit of life left I'll probably just move them over to the new wheels to start. The basic "Performance" level Hans Dampf tires are supposedly not recommended for tubeless use by Schwable but I may just give it a shot and see. My guess is that they will be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Quote Originally Posted by wideawakejake View Post
    Here is all you need to know about tires here in FL. You will notice almost every one riding in spandex, tight zipper shirts, and funny looking sunglasses, are using Ikon's and Racing Ralph's/Rocket Ron's. The guys wearing baggies, flat pedal shoes, and mx jerseys, are using DHF and DHR. That's it. By the way, those HD tires are really good. They are one of my favorites and very underrated. Dont be so quick to give them up. They are great in FL. Fast, predictable, and forgiving. But not cheap.
    Hard to say. In the past six months Iíve seen plenty of spandex guys with clipless pedals and DHF/DHRII tires in the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Mid Florida rider here and I recently went to DHF, DHRII and for the small amount of added rolling resistance the gain in traction is amazing. Sand disappears and short punchy rocky or rooty climbs are a breeze.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Vittoria Barzo 2.35 up front with Vittoria Saguaro 2.2 rear. Both run tubeless on 24 mm internal width rims. These roll nice on hardpack and can deal with the dried loose sand deposits, not the ultimate in traction but a good all around combo when it is dry. With the tire pressure optimized for the trail these perform very well on roots, rocks, patches of sand, and the pine needles blanketing the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Went from DHR II front and rear to Rekon 2.6 in front and rear. MUCH happier. I fly down trials now. Never realized how big a difference rolling resistance meant.. never had a washout on the DHRIIs and loved them; but the Rekon is much faster, and going from 2.4 to 2.6 I donít think I sacrificed too much traction. Running 24 / 28 psi F/R on tubeless. Ran slightly lower rear pressure on DHR IIs due to Thebes 2.4 having enough clearance. The 2.6 can rub on drops if PSI is below 26. Itís florida; trails arenít in need of a crazy downhill tire- but Iíve heard many say DHF / Aggressor combo is amazing. For now, Iím very happy with the Rekon in Front and rear. It keeps it simple

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    What width rim are you using for the 2.6 Rekons?

I ask because I'm on 35mm internal Ibis 942s and I typically run 15psi front and 20psi rear. Never once came close to a rim strike and I'm 200lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    29mm. Itís not the rim strike, itís the clearance on the bike- they rub if too low; YT Jeffsy AL with dtswiss m1900 rims

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I have the same exact question as OP but I have a Cannondale Beast of the East (27.5+) and want 2.8 or 3.0 front and rears and most of the tires people have mentioned don't come that wide. Even a lot of the Maxxis tires that say 2.8 are measuring closer to 2.6. Any 27.5+ guys have any insight? Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ccosta View Post
    I have the same exact question as OP but I have a Cannondale Beast of the East (27.5+) and want 2.8 or 3.0 front and rears and most of the tires people have mentioned don't come that wide. Even a lot of the Maxxis tires that say 2.8 are measuring closer to 2.6. Any 27.5+ guys have any insight? Thanks
    I also have a 27.5+ hardtail and am running Schwalbe Rocket Rons. They're true 2.8s and roll/grip extremely well.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Has anyone tried Specialized Butcher/Slaughter combo in 2.6? I am running DHF/DHR right now in central florida and they are overkill. I can't fit a 2.8 in the rear and i like the float over soft sand the larger tires provide.