Best Camping in Ozark National Forest?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Best Camping in Ozark National Forest?

The wife and I are headed south next week in search of dry(ish) trails (from WI). We have never been to AR, but it looks amazing, and we'd like to see what y'all have to offer a couple interested in riding, fly fishing, bouldering, and canoeing. Can anyone recommend any of the FS campgrounds in Ozark? Preferrably near a waterfall or trailhead or something cool?

mtbr member
    Sounds like Blanchard Springs CG would have all of that.

mtbr member
    If you have time check out the following:

Buffalo River - the upper part might be a little low for floating ,but an outfitter can point you in the right direction for a good float and fishing. http://www.nps.gov/buff/canoe-rentals.htm

Horse Canyon Ranch (Climbing) http://gohcr.com/ - camping there is a little primative/undeveloped the last time I was there. Check out Kyle landing or Steele Creek on the Buff River.

Kev

Davir
    blanchard springs for sure. fish the white river, canoe the buffalo, see the cave, ride the sylamo what could be better?

Davir
    second choice lake leather wood, canoe amd fish the kings river and of course ride the great trails at leather wood.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Blanchard Springs

Sounds perfect! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. More suggestions always welcome. Anyone know if the sites at Blanchard Springs reservable? Also, is all your rock limestone? Thanks.

mtbr member

Davir
    i dont know about the geology buy the syllamo trails can be accessed from the camp ground theres a great loop with a really fine descent back to camp and a great view of the creek. enjoy. also if you can arrange it the wild cave tour is great and very beautifully stuff the average tourist never sees.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Another vote for Blanchard, but can anyone confirm if the campground is open? It was closed for quite some time due to the bridge being washed out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    From what I can tell, syllamo is more than 20 miles (Forest Service alternately lists it at 21.3, and 50 miles, either way should be plenty!) and all but totally cleaned up after this ice storm I've heard so much about. Thanks again, I really appreciate all the advice.

Dirty South Underdog
    It's all of 50 miles with a leg-burner of a climb to get from the Blanchard Campground to the trails. I know the area very well, so if you need any help, feel free to shoot me a PM.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    It's all of 50 miles with a leg-burner of a climb to get from the Blanchard Campground to the trails. I know the area very well, so if you need any help, feel free to shoot me a PM.
    Yeah, when a state champ calls it a leg burner most of us mere mortals are coughing up a lung.

It is a steep climb up out of the CG but you can also drive up to one of the upper trailheads for a bit easier time.

Don't skip the cavern tour.
    Don't forget the Trout Stamp!
    The Folk Center is interesting too.

If you are there Friday or Sat nights, go into town and walk around the square and listen to the different pickup groups play.

There's an ice cream shop at the NW corner too.

Have fun and tell everybody AR would be a terrible place to move to.
    Flyn G

PS,
    Dry County, come prepared.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    We'll be on ss's; might skip the aforementioned leg-burner some days. Cool to have the trail so close though. The Folk Center is a guaranteed winner with my wife, too. And don't worry, I'll be sure to tell everyone how unfriendly the locals are!

Members who have read this thread: 0