Best base for a TN mountain bike trip?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Best base for a TN mountain bike trip?

So I have to opportunity to plan a TN work + mountain bike trip. If you were to rent a nice house for ~5 riders in/close to a fun town where you could do some fantastic nearby TN riding in early October, where would you choose?

Chattanooga perhaps? Other ideas?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Living in Maryville, I am most familiar with Knoxville and Chattanooga and will isolate my response to those two cities. Chattanooga has solid riding in close proximity to downtown, as does Knoxville. In most cases you'll be driving to trailheads, though I think you could find a place in downtown Knoxville (maybe even a houseboat downtown, seems I've seen them on VRBO) and ride to the South Knox trails. It's also football season, so the vibe should be nice and lively. Both offer a fair amount of trail diversity and a good base to explore various trail systems nearby. Both are also easy day trips from some pretty renowned riding in North GA and Western NC. They both have a cool downtown vibe with good breweries and food. I say take your pick and run with it, heck visit the one you don't choose on a daytrip, it's an easy drive. Enjoy the trip!

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtb7000 View Post
    Living in Maryville, I am most familiar with Knoxville and Chattanooga and will isolate my response to those two cities. Chattanooga has solid riding in close proximity to downtown, as does Knoxville. In most cases you'll be driving to trailheads, though I think you could find a place in downtown Knoxville (maybe even a houseboat downtown, seems I've seen them on VRBO) and ride to the South Knox trails. It's also football season, so the vibe should be nice and lively. Both offer a fair amount of trail diversity and a good base to explore various trail systems nearby. Both are also easy day trips from some pretty renowned riding in North GA and Western NC. They both have a cool downtown vibe with good breweries and food. I say take your pick and run with it, heck visit the one you don't choose on a daytrip, it's an easy drive. Enjoy the trip!
    /thread

mtbr member
    Isn't Chattanooga where HandUp gloves are made?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Chattanooga is one of our go to destinations for long mtb trips. If you are renting a house, see if you can get one near the North Shore Area. You can walk to restaurants and bars on the North side of the river or walk over the people bridge to Downtown.

In addition to the local trails:Raccoon, 5 points, Enterprise and White Oak Mountain, you are within a couple hours of some great trail systems Tanasi, Mulberry Gap (P1,P2,P3 Mountain Town), Aska Trail system, you cold even make a long day trip to Cold Water.