Bentonville in the rain? Help!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Bentonville in the rain? Help!!

Hello all, heading out for a week mountain bike trip to Bentonville and there’s plenty of rain in the forecast. Deciding if we should go or not — are there trails that can be ridden in the rain out there or are we hosed?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by medic741 View Post
    Hello all, heading out for a week mountain bike trip to Bentonville and there’s plenty of rain in the forecast. Deciding if we should go or not — are there trails that can be ridden in the rain out there or are we hosed?
    Hobbs and the wet weather loop, outer loop, of the Back 40 can be ridden wet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    Hobbs and the wet weather loop, outer loop, of the Back 40 can be ridden wet.

This is *fantastic* news. Just relocated from the Catskills in NY with some great riding to the flat lands of IA and jonesing for some real trails. Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it

mtbr member
    I would also say that trying to judge forecasts for the SE this time of year can be difficult. For instance here in B'ham the 15 day forecast has at least a 40% chance of rain EVERY day. Due to the heat and humidity it is really rare to have days that don't forecast rain, but many of them are pop-up showers and come and go, and are more likely in the afternoon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    So how are the trails in Bentonville these days? I'm in KY and wanting to ride somewhere for Memorial Day weekend but I just read Dupont NC is sloppy. Looking for a plan B.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
    So how are the trails in Bentonville these days? I'm in KY and wanting to ride somewhere for Memorial Day weekend but I just read Dupont NC is sloppy. Looking for a plan B.
    Should be in prime condition if we don't get a major rain event this week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    The Upper Buffalo system is about 1.5 hours east of Bentonville and is always rideable. I rode Lake Leatherwood in the rain and it was fine as well, just slick rocks in places.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Ok, I'll keep my eyes on the forecast then. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The bad news is that we're anticipating a good amount of rain over the weekend. The good news is that we've entered into a season where everything has pretty much dried out from the Winter/Spring and the rains tend to not be the long, sustained rains. That means that many of the trails will be highly rain resistant and/or dry quickly.

The other bad news: a lot of the feature-packed, capped flow trails at places like Coler stay softer longer. So when we have a wet weekend, you will definitely be able to find places to ride, but you may not be able to ride the exact places you want to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I think I'll focus on the back 40 and try a quick ride at slaughter pen, do you think they'll be dry enough to ride this weekend? I'll probably shoot for a quick ride on Saturday, long ride on Sunday, and another quick ride on Monday before I head home.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
    I think I'll focus on the back 40 and try a quick ride at slaughter pen, do you think they'll be dry enough to ride this weekend? I'll probably shoot for a quick ride on Saturday, long ride on Sunday, and another quick ride on Monday before I head home.
    Back40 is proving really resistant to rain, and there is a wet weather loop that's posted frequently on the Back40 Trail Conditions page on Facebook that you can basically ride while it's raining. Hobbs is also really good wet weather ride (a little more XC, though they've added some jump/Flow sections in the War Eagle Loop... it's really pretty area and a lot of fun in general). Different parts of Slaughter Pen dry better. General rule is the stuff up top dries better than the stuff down low.

I'll be riding Back40 as well all weekend, as I'll be at the inlaws on Loch Lomond.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Curious to hear any ride/trip reports from those of you who have made it to our area recently.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfly View Post
    Curious to hear any ride/trip reports from those of you who have made it to our area recently.
    Wanted to make a report post finally! Bentonville has become our go-to travel destination to ride because the trails are *just that good*. Over the past year alone we've ridden in Squamish, Sedona and the Arizona area and keep comparing the quality of the riding in those 'world class' destinations to Bentonville. It's really amazing out there.

Have ridden Bentonville in a drizzle and in the straight up rain. When it's wet Hobbe's state park is actually really good like everyone here says. We've been able to ride there without leaving damage on the trails so you can have fun and not feel bad about it. The 'rain loop' on the back 40 is also bullet proof so if there's rain in the forecast and you don't mind getting wet it's a pretty good place to be.

Slaughter pen gets wet and stays wet for a while on some trails, but there's plenty of awesome trail to ride wet that doesn't damage the system. We've learned that even if it says rain/no rain on the forecast it's never a sure thing because the weather is so variable out there. If anyone's thinking of riding in Bentonville, pull the trigger because you won't regret it. The town itself is even this weird little oasis with a don't miss coffee shop (Onyx) and it seems that everyone is both attractive and has a beautiful dog. So that's another win.

Anyhoo, been there for 6 separate trips to ride, and never missed a day of riding because of the rain because there's so much out there that's *safely* rideable wet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Wanted to make a report post finally! Bentonville has become our go-to travel destination to ride because the trails are *just that good*. Over the past year alone we've ridden in Squamish, Sedona and the Arizona area and keep comparing the quality of the riding in those 'world class' destinations to Bentonville. It's really amazing out there.

Have ridden Bentonville in a drizzle and in the straight up rain. When it's wet Hobbe's state park is actually really good like everyone here says. We've been able to ride there without leaving damage on the trails so you can have fun and not feel bad about it. The 'rain loop' on the back 40 is also bullet proof so if there's rain in the forecast and you don't mind getting wet it's a pretty good place to be.

Slaughter pen gets wet and stays wet for a while on some trails, but there's plenty of awesome trail to ride wet that doesn't damage the system. We've learned that even if it says rain/no rain on the forecast it's never a sure thing because the weather is so variable out there. If anyone's thinking of riding in Bentonville, pull the trigger because you won't regret it. The town itself is even this weird little oasis with a don't miss coffee shop (Onyx) and it seems that everyone is both attractive and has a beautiful dog. So that's another win.

Anyhoo, been there for 6 separate trips to ride, and never missed a day of riding because of the rain because there's so much out there that's *safely* rideable wet.
    Only call out is that the wet weather loop on the Back 40 isn't freeze thaw proof.