Bentonville - October Tire advice please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bentonville - October Tire advice please

Need tire advice for Oz Trails race in October. I hear there are many opportunities for sidewall tears, ledgy rocks. Will Autum be in full swing by early October? Slippery leaves...?

Having a nice day!
    I was going to say when I read the title to get something with good sidewall protection. That ledges area on the back 40 was brutal on our tires! No real issues on the Oz trails, but maybe we were just lucky.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FastDDS View Post
    Need tire advice for Oz Trails race in October. I hear there are many opportunities for sidewall tears, ledgy rocks. Will Autum be in full swing by early October? Slippery leaves...?
    I'm heading down for the race as well and have the same question. I run a DHF/Aggressor combo year round in CO but I'm thinking it is probably overkill for Bentonville.

What do the locals run?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 86cucv View Post
    I'm heading down for the race as well and have the same question. I run a DHF/Aggressor combo year round in CO but I'm thinking it is probably overkill for Bentonville.

What do the locals run?
    Lots of DHF/DHR/Assagai/Aggressor level tires from Maxxis around here. Need serious sidewall protection. The amount of people who flatted (many multiple times) in the Oztrail Epic last year will go down in Epic Rides lore.

It's not really about the tread, as obviously, an Assagai would be ridiculous for a 40 mile race... but you need serious sidewall protection.

I just sent Keegan Swinson a DM and he said that he ran Exo Aspens last year, but that he'll run Exo Ikons this year because he thinks he got lucky to not flat last year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Lots of EXO carnage last year in the 50. I ran Vittoria Graphene reinforced sidewalls now known as XC Trail casing and no issues. I'll run the same this year. Worked pretty good for Luke V to finish 2nd ahead of Grotts on Sunday too...
    -DC, just some XC Bum from FL in NW Arkansas

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I'd be very surprised if the leaves were down for the race. The trails dry very fast even if there has been rain. Picking the right line is going to be the best way to protect your sidewalls, but that could be tricky at race speed, especially if you are riding blind. There are a lot of small lose rocks on these trails. Its mostly limestone but also contains a fair bit of flint. It's usually not an issue but an unlucky flip and chip can put a flint knife in your path. Generally the trails are going to be very fast but sometimes the small rocks can align in a way that mess with your traction in unpredictable ways.