Bentonville next weekend (06/21-23)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bentonville next weekend (06/21-23)

Was reading through this thread (https://forums.mtbr.com/southeast-mi...s-1104745.html) and there was a lot of good info. Thought about tagging onto that thread with questions but didn't want to muddy provin1327's trip plans.

I am headed to Arkansas next weekend, June 21-23. Picking up a vehicle in KC Friday and then headed back to New Mexico. I don't really ever travel to this part of the country so I figured I should bring a bike and check out Arkansas. Hoping to make it Bentonville Friday afternoon and get in a ride, ride all day Saturday and possibly a short ride Sunday morning before heading West. Not set on staying in Bentonville, just seems like the place that always get mentioned.

Couple questions:
    - How are current conditions, in the other thread there was mention of significant rain and the forecast for that week looks terrible. How does this affect the trails? Are things ridable or is it best to avoid them?
    - Any free/ relatively cheap car camping near the trails?
    - Trail suggestions. Bringing my Evil Offering and prefer technical trails. Used to riding in the rocks and love a challenging trail (Glorieta is local for me.) Not really into flow/jump trail sessioning/laps, not against it but not really my jam.

Cruising through threads here, and Trailforks looks like these trails get mentioned most:

Fitzgerald
    Slaughter Pen
    Coler
    Eureka Springs

Any suggestions appreciated.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Its been really wet lately but the trails do well after a day or two to dry up.Not sure on free or cheap camping but plenty of air [email protected] in the area. If you're staying in Bentonville you can ride to Slaughter pen from downtown and Coler is close as well, both have short but techy trials and there are stunts all over the place at SP .Fitzgerald Mt. and Eureka springs are a short drive away. Have fun and enjoy, watch out for snakes this time of year though, leave them alone and they will do the same!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Couple questions:
    - How are current conditions, in the other thread there was mention of significant rain and the forecast for that week looks terrible. How does this affect the trails? Are things ridable or is it best to avoid them?
    - Any free/ relatively cheap car camping near the trails?
    - Trail suggestions. Bringing my Evil Offering and prefer technical trails. Used to riding in the rocks and love a challenging trail (Glorieta is local for me.) Not really into flow/jump trail sessioning/laps, not against it but not really my jam.

Cruising through threads here, and Trailforks looks like these trails get mentioned most:

Fitzgerald
    Slaughter Pen
    Coler
    Eureka Springs

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Current conditions are pretty darn good, but yeah looking at the long range forecast it's possible we'll have days of intermittent rain.

If that happens, the most techy trails are unfortunately also the ones that dry out slowest (as a rule). For example, Fitzgerald can take days to dry. Same with Kessler. Not sure about Eureka. Coler needs some time to dry, they do have a professionally managed Facebook page with daily conditions updates.

After heavier rain, the best options are the Hobbs trails, and the Back 40 area. More flow, longer rides, but very worth riding.

Lake Lincoln rarely gets mentioned, it is old school rocky tech and it may dry better than other places. Not sure, maybe others can sound in.

I'll let others talk about camping too... I do know you can pop a tent at Prairie Creek Marina in Rogers if you want (costs $ though).
    Last edited by S​​usspect; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Just so you know: there's an enduro race at Kessler on the 22nd, if that interests you.As others have said, you will need to play it by ear a bit on the weather conditions. The best way to get up to date trail conditions (and riding suggestions) is to get on Facebook and type in "area name" trail conditions, for example "Mt. Kessler trail conditions" and you'll find a facebook group that will provide current conditions and best routes for weather.

Best camping on trail is Blowing Springs campground. If you like Glorieta, you might just head to Eureka Springs and ride Leatherwood and Passion Play (Jagged Axe built Glorietta and Passion Play). Otherwise your best bets are going to be: Fitzgerald, Slaughter Pen (Apple Turnover especially), Twin Knobs at Lake Wedington, Coler (Copperhead, Rock Solid, Rock Soft, and Here's Johnny), Blowing Springs Loop, the Ledges on Back 40, and Mt. Kessler (probably some of the best natural rock trails in the area, but there IS a race there on Saturday).

mtbr member
    Cheers guys, appreciate the suggestions.

Hopefully I can visit those Facebook pages without having to sign up.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra