Bentonville Next Week: Need to Know- Mtbr.com
    Elitest thrill junkie

Bentonville Next Week: Need to Know

About Ticks.

They are terrible in OK in the summer time, in fact I was just there a couple weeks ago and there was a special warning about them. Every time I've tried to ride at this time of the year in OK (putting aside the miserable heat) I've gotten lots of ticks, and I freaking hate ticks. How is it in Bentonville-area, what do you use to prevent them? How do you deal with it?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    About Ticks.

They are terrible in OK in the summer time, in fact I was just there a couple weeks ago and there was a special warning about them. Every time I've tried to ride at this time of the year in OK (putting aside the miserable heat) I've gotten lots of ticks, and I freaking hate ticks. How is it in Bentonville-area, what do you use to prevent them? How do you deal with it?
    Our tick situation, unfortunately, is similar to Oklahoma. It was rumored to be a "really bad" tick year. That being said, I haven't had problems at all, and I'm riding trail pretty much daily (though I'm also avoiding overgrown trails and sticking to well-maintained areas). I don't put anything on, either. Of course, it only takes one bad pass through a high grass, untrimmed area with seed ticks, and life is miserable.

I know some people are now soaking their pads and socks in permethrin to keep the ticks at bay and easier to remove. I haven't resorted to this, yet. Any insect repellent with Deet is good.

My main suggestion is to be careful where you stop to rest and stay on the trail. A lot of times, it's natural to stop on a flat, cleared out area because it's a natural resting point, such as a field with a border of grass. This is prime tick territory, especially if you step off trail and brush against the tall grass or undergrowth.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I haven't gotten any on the main trails around here. I did do a ride out at Camp War Eagle that sees low traffic, private trails, and was covered up. I even had to stop and sit for a long period in the middle of the woods at Coler and not a tick to be found.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Good info.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I shook one tick out of my clothes after riding in that area earlier this week. They are definitely out there, take the necessary precautions and check yourself over good after riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro