Bentonville advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2020

Bentonville advice

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with advice on a single day ride plan in Bentonville? I wish I had more time to stay longer, but I will be vacationing in the Lake Tablerock area and am able to get away for 1 day to come down and ride Bentonville, which I have dreamed of doing for quite a while.

I hear Back 40 is an amazing must-ride trail, and with it being more XC orinted, is probably the closest to what I ride in DFW area (with more elevation of course). However, I feel like Slaughter Pen and Coler are hard to pass up due to being so unique and different from what I typically ride.

I'm thinking about hitting up Back 40 in the morning, then grabbing something to eat and heading downtown to try Coler or Slaughter. Since Back 40 is 22-30 miles, I am concerned I might be out of gas after riding it and pushing it a bit. How tiring is it to ride the full Back 40 loop and do you think this plan is do-able, or should I choose between Back 40 and Slaughter/Coler. If I ride Back 40, I am ok with riding the other two much less, but I would at least like to experience them. I'm typically riding 1-2x per week in DFW, and my rides are usually 1.5 hrs.

I'm also curious if anyone has a recommendation for a shorter Back 40 route instead of doing the full loop? Could I maybe shorten the ride to 1.5 hrs and still get to ride the best of it?

Thanks for any advice you have!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I wouldn't do the Back40. If you have one day, I would focus on Slaughter Pen and Coler. I would normally potentially recommend Blowing Springs as well, but it's got some construction going on right now that creates some problems riding it, I believe.

Here's what I'd do:
    Drop in to Slaughter Pen on All American from the Compton Gardens entrance. Ride All American down to the Bucky Ball area.

Switch to other side of road, go ride BooBoo and/or ChooChoo. Go further down All American and check out Masterpiece across the road. Go further north. Climb up Black Apple. Check out Leopard's Loop. Pedal up road to Ozone / Hammer Down (also called Flozone). Ride it back down to All American/Greenway. Keep going north. Cross over and hit Schroen Train. Back to All American / Greenway and go north. Hit the jump park (if you're into that sort of thing) then finish up the rest of All American and detour over to hit Jesse's Last Stand as well which is a great line to session. You're now at the "bottom"of Slaughter Pen (also called Phase 1). You can turn around and head back South to get to your car and pedal that in about 10 minutes if you hammer it on the paved greenway. Depending on how much you session, this could probably take half a day.

Now you want to drive over to Coler. For a full tour, I'd recommend parking at South Gate. Check out Thunderdome first then Family Flow. Then pedal Esther's Loop to get to the north side. Climb Oscar's from the North Gateway to get to the Hub. Ride Fireline, Cease and Desist, etc... probably want to session the Hub area for a while. Then you can pedal Oscar's back to the South Gate or you can hop onto the paved trail to pedal back to South gate and check out all the cool architectural features on it.

That's a full day tour of Bentonville that will give you the most bang for your buck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Thanks hogfly, that's incredibly helpful. I'm looking at the most current maps I can find, and I don't see Masterpiece. Is that a newer section?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by danthaman View Post
    Thanks hogfly, that's incredibly helpful. I'm looking at the most current maps I can find, and I don't see Masterpiece. Is that a newer section?
    Yes. It was just finished. It's the crazy metal and dirt artwork run that Jeremy Witek has been building. You won't miss it. On Trailforks, there's a paved trail called the Enfield Trail. It runs alongside that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Awesome. Thanks, again! Is it pretty easy to find your way around/trails well marked? Maps are a bit confusing in spots.

Any recommendations on a good place to eat and grab a beer before heading out?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Awesome. Thanks, again! Is it pretty easy to find your way around/trails well marked? Maps are a bit confusing in spots.

Any recommendations on a good place to eat and grab a beer before heading out?
    All trails are really well marked, yeah. Signage everywhere.

I'd probably eat at Pedaler's Pub (not sure that they have dine in currently), but you can drink at the Hub Bike Lounge (also a transition dealer) which is right next to Pedaler's. I think you could order a pie from pedaler's to go and then eat it at the Hub while having a drink.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfly View Post
    I wouldn't do the Back40. If you have one day, I would focus on Slaughter Pen and Coler. I would normally potentially recommend Blowing Springs as well, but it's got some construction going on right now that creates some problems riding it, I believe.
    No real issues riding BS proper. The only issue is the weird route you have to take to get on the Back 40 headed to Metfield.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    If I had only a day in Bentonville I would spend it at slaughter pen. Ive been there twice now and there are still a bunch of trails I havenít ridden yet. I spoke with some locals while there and they recommended hobbs state park over the back 40. I want to hit the back 40 eventually but for now I am going to go to some other trails like hobbs, mt nebo or even the north woods.
    Current Bike: 2020 Santa Cruz Hightower S

Previous bikes: 2019 Trek Fuel EX 7 and 2016 Diamondback Overdrive 27.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthehill29 View Post
    If I had only a day in Bentonville I would spend it at slaughter pen. Ive been there twice now and there are still a bunch of trails I havenít ridden yet. I spoke with some locals while there and they recommended hobbs state park over the back 40. I want to hit the back 40 eventually but for now I am going to go to some other trails like hobbs, mt nebo or even the north woods.
    I'd hit Little Sugar before I rode the Back 40.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Iím heading up there today for the weekend, planning to ride Slaughter Pen and Coler, Little Sugar, and either Hobbs or Back 40.

Looks like some rain, and more so on Friday. I know the trails handle rain generally, but does anyone have insight on which ones handle it best and worst?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cal RX View Post
    Iím heading up there today for the weekend, planning to ride Slaughter Pen and Coler, Little Sugar, and either Hobbs or Back 40.

Looks like some rain, and more so on Friday. I know the trails handle rain generally, but does anyone have insight on which ones handle it best and worst?
    You can't really ride the flow trails at Slaughter Pen and Coler after rain. The other three you can ride during and after torrential downpours.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cal RX View Post

What JT said. Facebook has groups for every trail system that update on the conditions. You just type in "Slaughter Pen Trail Conditions" or "Coler MTB Preserve Trail Conditions." They'll give you an update on how badly the rain has affected the trails. They also have a daily update on the Coler group of which trails are open and closed (as it's actually managed like a bike park with a full time crew who maintain it).

It doesn't look like a ton of rain in the forecast tomorrow, so you may be okay to hit the flow trail type stuff then. Little Sugar, Back40 and Hobbs are all pretty much bombproof (at least for the amount of rain we have forecasted). You can definitely do a day at Little Sugar and a day at Hobbs.

So I'd recommend: Slaughter Pen/Coler tomorrow (provided we haven't had much rain) then Little Sugar/Hobbs the next two days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Hi everyone, thanks so much for all of your input. This is just a one day trip for me, but I do plan to come back and do a longer trip at some point, so I am taking notes on all of your recommendations.

Regarding the rain forecast for Thurs and Fri this week, how long does SP take to dry out? I'm looking at coming to Bentonville this Sat or Sun, but most likely Sun. Should I be concerned about the trail conditions at SP, or is 1 day sufficient for them to dry out?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hi everyone, thanks so much for all of your input. This is just a one day trip for me, but I do plan to come back and do a longer trip at some point, so I am taking notes on all of your recommendations.

Regarding the rain forecast for Thurs and Fri this week, how long does SP take to dry out? I'm looking at coming to Bentonville this Sat or Sun, but most likely Sun. Should I be concerned about the trail conditions at SP, or is 1 day sufficient for them to dry out?
    It depends on the amount of rain but there is a high likelihood the clay capped trails will be too soft.

mtbr member
    Slaughter pen is a hoot. Lots of little short trails and lots of sessioning.

I can't really add much except once you go, you'll want to come back.

Back 40 is overrated IMO. the ledges section is fun and there are some cool climbs and descents, but I would do little sugar/aka tunnel vision before the back 40 again. Don't get me wrong, all mtn biking is fun, but I think you have been given sound advice so far. I'm not local but only a couple of hours away. I try and get over there in one way shape or form once a month or so.

If you wanted to go all the way to springdale, Fitzgerald mountain is a blast too. "Best trail ever"

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post
    Slaughter pen is a hoot. Lots of little short trails and lots of sessioning.

I can't really add much except once you go, you'll want to come back.

Back 40 is overrated IMO. the ledges section is fun and there are some cool climbs and descents, but I would do little sugar/aka tunnel vision before the back 40 again. Don't get me wrong, all mtn biking is fun, but I think you have been given sound advice so far. I'm not local but only a couple of hours away. I try and get over there in one way shape or form once a month or so.

If you wanted to go all the way to springdale, Fitzgerald mountain is a blast too. "Best trail ever"
    Yeah. I agree with all of this. There was a time that Back40 was the "best" system because it was the newest and had the most mileage. While it has some good sections on it (Ledges, Taylor Homestead, Stanhope Hill, Rago, Mulligan), it's not really aged that well. Little Sugar has more ripping descents and varied terrain AND more miles. And Slaughter Pen just continues to get updated and revamped over and over as does Coler. As such, Back40 is really just a good XC loop for going out and doing some flowy, rolling beginner-friendly pedaling.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What JT said. Facebook has groups for every trail system that update on the conditions. You just type in "Slaughter Pen Trail Conditions" or "Coler MTB Preserve Trail Conditions." They'll give you an update on how badly the rain has affected the trails. They also have a daily update on the Coler group of which trails are open and closed (as it's actually managed like a bike park with a full time crew who maintain it).

It doesn't look like a ton of rain in the forecast tomorrow, so you may be okay to hit the flow trail type stuff then. Little Sugar, Back40 and Hobbs are all pretty much bombproof (at least for the amount of rain we have forecasted). You can definitely do a day at Little Sugar and a day at Hobbs.

So I'd recommend: Slaughter Pen/Coler tomorrow (provided we haven't had much rain) then Little Sugar/Hobbs the next two days.
    Thanks Hogfly and JT. I like your recommendations. Will let you know how it goes. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Ended up riding Slaughter Pen and Coler on Thursday, then Hobbs on Friday, and Tunnel Vision yesterday. Things worked out great with that plan, thanks again for the recommendations. I will say the cumulative effect of the heat and humidity got to me and I ended up cutting the Tunnel Vision ride short. What I rode was really cool though, so Iíll be back to ride it again, hopefully in the fall. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Yeah it was hot Yesterday and once the sun came out on Saturday it was really humid. We had plans to do Tunnel Vision on Saturday and were just going to wait the rain out, but got impatient. Ended up just getting about 10 miles at Fitzgerald as the early storms missed it. Very interesting with all the humidity and wetness. The trail was in great shape overall with just a few puddles but the rocks(and there is a ton of rock work on fitzgerald) were mossy and pretty slick. Had to be careful with the brakes and when to pedal. We had just gotten done with Coyote Canyon and the rain started coming down there too. We finished with a couple of brews at Bike Rack Brewing in Springdale.

Glad you had a good time. Hobbs is a nice ride if you need kind of a break day. Not much tech and pretty easy climbs, with some fast flowy downhill stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The heat and humidity will absolutely sap you. I can easily ride 20-30 miles when it's not hot. 20 miles in July or August (especially if you don't start early) is brutal.

That's why we try to get out early and ride before it heats up and/or ride session style stuff instead of long climbs and the like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Thanks again to all for the advice and recommendations, especially hogfly who provided a very good, detailed route. I made it up there yesterday, and was concerned about the rain, but the trails were still very rideable. I followed hogflyís SP route exactly except for taking Armadillos last stand back south to the skills park on the way back and I never found schroen train. I liked the clay top fast flowy trails the best, and Leopards loop was my favorite run overall. I didnít like the loose rock trails as much as I just didnít find them to be as fast and flowy, but jesseís last stand was pretty good. All American was also a blast on the south end, but was less fun as I got further north, save a few short sections. I never made it to Coler as I underestimated the amount of climbing at SP (I did quite a bit of sessioning), as well as the brutality of the heat and humidity. When I got back to my after almost 5 hrs of riding, I had nothing left to go try anything else.

I stopped at Pedalerís Pub on the way out. I found the place a bit annoying as far as their overreactions to the Ďrona...they kept harping on mask use even though I wore one in and didnít give them any trouble about it and they only allowed dining outside. It was really hot on the patio and infested with flies. I had a really great pie though, and I think the home wrecker is one of the best IPAís Iíve ever had.

Canít wait for a longer visit to hit some of those other trails! I think next time will be in spring or fall.

mtbr member
    We like Bike Rack Brewing(they let you sit inside). There are 3 locations, one has a couple of food trucks most of the time.

Schroen train trailhead is kind of right in the middle. If you are on the greenway, you'll have to cross the road at one of the crossings. Its a fun run, has a bit of everything, wood drops, jumps, chunky gnar. The drop at the bottom is not large but so smooth you don't even feel it.

Jesse's is a hoot too as you observed, really small and short and fun to session. Doesn't have crazy steep lips, but you can fly a long way off a few of the jumps.

Glad you had fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Iíll have to try Bike Rack next time. Really bummed I missed Schroen based off your description.

I did have a lot of fun. You locals are truly lucky to have so much amazing riding right in your backyard. Itís going to be hard to go back and ride in Dallas after this visit.

mtbr member
    I'm not really local, I guess 2+ hours isn't too bad though. We have some decent trail systems in Tulsa, but honestly it's nice to have something different that is reasonably close.

The vibe in Bentonville and surrounding areas is still good, but was really good pre-Covid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    2+ hrs isnít too bad. Itís 5+ for me. Dallas has some good trails, but itís still Dallas. Nothing close to what you can ride in Bentonville.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I'm not really local, I guess 2+ hours isn't too bad though. We have some decent trail systems in Tulsa, but honestly it's nice to have something different that is reasonably close.

The vibe in Bentonville and surrounding areas is still good, but was really good pre-Covid.
    What are your thoughts for potential of Turkey Mountain in Tulsa? Some of the kids we ride with here in NWA have a dad who is well-connected in Tulsa and is interested in developing trails there. He thinks that Turkey Mountain has the potential to be similar to Coler if some money were raised. He's NOT a mountain biker, just has kids who are, so I'm not sure if his assessment is accurate or not.

mtbr member
    They have a plan in place to do a bunch of work at Turkey. I think they have even had progressive trail design out there to survey it. If I remember correctly, plan is to keep a lot of the traditional trails, making some mtb only trails, bridge over the arkansas, bridge over the adjacent highway to some additional land they are planning on purchasing. They really want to make the trails more sustainable which they are not. There is some pretty good elevation change to play with as well, probably similar to Coler. Really just trying to get one of the big foundations to help fund it.

There are tons of good trails and tons of potential. The problem is that right now they won't really let anyone in there to do any kind of maintenance with the exception of a couple of trail days a year.

Lots of tulsa locals are really up in arms right now with Tulsa Riverparks. We can't even go in and cut out trees that are on the trails due to liability issues.

That said, if you want technical riding, nothing in Bentonville (that I have seen) compares.

Claremore OK, just NE has a really nice trail system, about 15 miles of trails, well maintained and thought out. Built really sustainably, and has the full support of the city. People have even moved out there to be closer to the trails. Not Bentonville, but done really well with all volunteers, and just a little funding. If you ever get over here it is worth a ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    With the humidity right now I'd focus on all of Slaughter Pen in the morning. Break for lunch and nap. Then hit Coler Late afternoon. Both of those will put a grin on your face and earn that post ride beer. Make sure to hit all the new sections on Slaughter. Def worth it.

mtbr member
    Iíll have to try Bike Rack next time. Really bummed I missed Schroen based off your description.

I did have a lot of fun. You locals are truly lucky to have so much amazing riding right in your backyard. Itís going to be hard to go back and ride in Dallas after this visit.
    It is real hard going back to the Dallas area after riding in Arkansas. I miss it and I have been riding as many new trails here around Dallas and I canít find something that brings me joy like NWA trails have. An I have only been there twice.

I am already planning my next trip up there. hopefully this weekend if the weather is good. I am also already debating making the move up there. With the way the economy is and not many jobs in my field up there I donít know if I will be able to move there. Seems like all the locals I spoke with moved there in the last 5 years because of the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    They have a plan in place to do a bunch of work at Turkey. I think they have even had progressive trail design out there to survey it. If I remember correctly, plan is to keep a lot of the traditional trails, making some mtb only trails, bridge over the arkansas, bridge over the adjacent highway to some additional land they are planning on purchasing. They really want to make the trails more sustainable which they are not. There is some pretty good elevation change to play with as well, probably similar to Coler. Really just trying to get one of the big foundations to help fund it.

There are tons of good trails and tons of potential. The problem is that right now they won't really let anyone in there to do any kind of maintenance with the exception of a couple of trail days a year.

Lots of tulsa locals are really up in arms right now with Tulsa Riverparks. We can't even go in and cut out trees that are on the trails due to liability issues.

That said, if you want technical riding, nothing in Bentonville (that I have seen) compares.

Claremore OK, just NE has a really nice trail system, about 15 miles of trails, well maintained and thought out. Built really sustainably, and has the full support of the city. People have even moved out there to be closer to the trails. Not Bentonville, but done really well with all volunteers, and just a little funding. If you ever get over here it is worth a ride.
    Thanks for the information! I had suggested getting a trail company like PTD to come out and make a master plan as a possible first step, so it's cool to see that's already happened.

Tulsa has money, so they should be able to make stuff happen. He said he just got a contact with a wealthy family who might be interested in helping to fund and a contact with the group who he said basically "owns" Turkey Mountain. I've told him I'd try to arrange a tour of Oz with Gary Vernon or someone else for potential investors who might want to see how it can impact and improve quality of life and also have a positive economic impact.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I am also already debating making the move up there. With the way the economy is and not many jobs in my field up there I donít know if I will be able to move there. Seems like all the locals I spoke with moved there in the last 5 years because of the trails.
    It's a very high quality of life up here. Like...I sometimes feel guilty for how good we have it. Crime is low, cost of living is low (but rising), schools are really good, housing is affordable (if you're not crazy picky), traffic isn't horrible (compared to Dallas), trails, lakes, rivers....

What field are you in, out of curiosity?

mtbr member
    Here is the presentation on the Turkey mountain master plan if you are interested. Hopefully the link works. The funding for the study was built into the funding from the "famous" gathering place, the most expensive city park ever built...yep that's in Tulsa just across the Arkansas river. I think it was voted the number 1 attraction in the us last year. It's actually pretty cool. To have Turkey fixed up would be the icing on the cake.

https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/5e2f...e%20redux5.pdf

mtbr member
    It's a very high quality of life up here. Like...I sometimes feel guilty for how good we have it. Crime is low, cost of living is low (but rising), schools are really good, housing is affordable (if you're not crazy picky), traffic isn't horrible (compared to Dallas), trails, lakes, rivers....

What field are you in, out of curiosity?
    Sorry for the late reply. I am in mechanical/manufacturing engineering. It is hard to beat Dallas for those types of jobs.

mtbr member
    I just got back from riding bentonville trails. Had a great time. I got to ride the full fireline trail at Coler. Looks like they have had Choo-choo closed to pave it over with that soil-tac stuff. I think it is the same stuff as on the downhill trails in phase 1 and Leopards Loop. Glad I got to ride it once before they did that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I just got back from riding bentonville trails. Had a great time. I got to ride the full fireline trail at Coler. Looks like they have had Choo-choo closed to pave it over with that soil-tac stuff. I think it is the same stuff as on the downhill trails in phase 1 and Leopards Loop. Glad I got to ride it once before they did that.
    Yeah, I can't say I'm a fan of the surface in general but even less so on that trail. It just takes away from the essence of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Just a suggestion to the OP.....you mentioned you were staying on Table Rock Lake. Eureka Springs is close to Table Rock and just opened a new area called Marble Flats. You can view this trail hub in TrailForks. The area is adjacent to the Passion Play trails and is connected by a couple of trails. You can have a cool day of riding here, and donít forget the Leatherwood downhill park nearby.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Thanks for the tip! I've gone to Table Rock the last two summers with my family, and haven't been able to find any good trails in the area. I'll look into those that you mentioned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    Yeah, I can't say I'm a fan of the surface in general but even less so on that trail. It just takes away from the essence of it.

It'll be fast. I'm sure it's a maintenance thing. those trails get hammered pretty good. bet it spreads out the maintenance interval quite a bit.

That said, I have never ridden it. It was closed when we were there. We did ride boo-boo quite a bit. Fun stuff to session there as well.

mtbr member
    Anyone know the status on choo-choo. It was open when I rode there in June. I have since been back to Bentonville twice and both of those trips it was closed. I am planning a trip up there again at the end of the month and I would really like to ride it again.

Lastly in October I know that outer bike is happening (oct 23-25 I think). I want to visit but I want to avoid the crowds. Is it going to be super busy the weekend before or the weekend after, or will an event like this make it super busy the entire month?
    Last edited by kingofthehill29; 1 Hour Ago at 06:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Anyone know the status on choo-choo. It was open when I rode there in June. I have since been back to Bentonville twice and both of those trips it was closed. I am planning a trip up there again at the end of the month and I would really like to ride it again.

On a side note has anyone gone on a out of state MTB trip completely solo? My brother usually goes with me but his new job will prevent him from going on my next trip. I have never made a trip like this on my own. I occasionally go ride trails 1-2 hours from house but I have never gone on a solo trip out of state.

Lastly in October I know that outer bike is happening (oct 23-25 I think). I want to visit but I want to avoid the crowds. Is it going to be super busy the weekend before or the weekend after, or will an event like this make it super busy the entire month?
    Should be good either of the weekends you mentioned in October.

mtbr member
    Anyone ever do a solo trip to Bentonville or anywhere else? Every time I have been to Bentonville I have had a companion on my trip (my younger brother). But he no longer has the option to go as frequently as I can. I am planning a trip this weekend or next weekend (depends on work and weather), and I am nervous going that far to ride on my own.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Anyone ever do a solo trip to Bentonville or anywhere else? Every time I have been to Bentonville I have had a companion on my trip (my younger brother). But he no longer has the option to go as frequently as I can. I am planning a trip this weekend or next weekend (depends on work and weather), and I am nervous going that far to ride on my own.
    I haven't but have met tons of people here that have done that. I know my group almost always invites people in your situation to ride or shuttle with us if we come across them. There are a bunch of others that do the same as well. The awesome thing is even if that doesn't materialize its so busy you'll never be 100% on your own.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I did a solo Bentonville trip in early August, and am returning from a solo Durango trip right now. Iím from DFW.

Itís not something Iíd do in a normal year, but itís not a normal year.

I tried to plan my rides out well, be a little more sensible than usual, and also checked in and out with friends via text.

Both were great trips. Hope that helps.