Atlanta Area Trail Tires and Bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Atlanta Area Trail Tires and Bikes

Hey Everybody. Iíve been riding the Allatoona Creek trail system for about 7 years - itís close to the house. Iím just wondering what others in the area think are the best tires and/or bike types (Xc, trail, etc) in general for this trail system and others like it north of Atlanta - blanketts, rope mill, etc. Iíve been riding a GT Helion XC bike for most of my riding career and it certainly hasnít held me back. Itís been a great bike. And currently I have some ethriteen TRS 2.35 tires which seem fine to me. But Iím just curious what others are using. Alot of equipment reviews seemed to be based on riding out West but, especially for tires, I see the recommendation to get whatís best for the trails in your area - so let me know what you think. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    As far as bikes go, I think a hardtail is fine and adequate. However, I'm either getting older or a lot of local trails have experienced a lot of erosion and as a consequence have gotten rougher. I'm thinking of Big Creek, Charleston Park, portions of Chicopee. So, I find myself sticking to my short travel full suspension bike more often. As far as tires, I'm currently happy with Maxxis Rekons (2.35 or 2.25, I can't recall at the moment).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dunleavy View Post
    As far as bikes go, I think a hardtail is fine and adequate. However, I'm either getting older or a lot of local trails have experienced a lot of erosion and as a consequence have gotten rougher. I'm thinking of Big Creek, Charleston Park, portions of Chicopee. So, I find myself sticking to my short travel full suspension bike more often. As far as tires, I'm currently happy with Maxxis Rekons (2.35 or 2.25, I can't recall at the moment).
    Thanks for your input. I've noticed the older trails at Allatoona being a lot rougher than when I started. Roots seem to be more prominent. FS definitely makes it more comfortable.

Cycologist
    I have Vittoria Mezcal 2.25s on my fully (120/100) and Maxxis Ikon+ and Rekon+ 2.8s on my rigid ss. These are more fast rolling rather than knobbier high grip tires, just depends on what you like. The rear end will break loose pretty easily corning with a lot of speed on the kitty litter parts of Big Creek.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    I ride on 2.35 like Dunleavy. Well, 2.5 on the front and 2.35 on the back actually. But LOVE Maxxis.
    OMB :thumbsup:
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1
    2017 Santa Cruz HighTower C
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp
    2016 Specialized Rockhopper