Anyone ridden Benton Mackaye in North GA?- Mtbr.com
    Cycologist

Anyone ridden Benton Mackaye in North GA?

I didn't know bikes were allowed on BM but came across a section showing it is open to mtb. Anyone ever ridden it and if so, how is it?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/c...439&width=full
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

The perfessor
    - damn, didn't know that!!....but I am looking at it now - however, that would be a tough ride, I imagine...........I've done a lot of backpacking in North GA and this can't be easy by any standard........
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 Hybrid Bike

Village Idiot
    Jan 2018
    I had no idea either. I wonder if the section that allows MTB's includes the area that crosses over the Toccoa River on that swinging bridge. I have kayaked and canoed under that bridge a couple of times.

It damn sho' would be a tough ride.

I have backpacked many, many times in Cohutta. Took a nice dirt road trip in there on my previous Suzuki DRZ400S once, then I went back down the mountain from Conasauga Lake, down the Tibbs, Milma and Windy Gap (bottom portion of WG) trails. I first took Tibbs and Milma as a detour around the top part of Windy Gap, after taking a look at it and thinking there was no way in hell I would ride my 300 lb. motorcycle down that trail. Some people actually ride up it, and the top part looked to me almost like trials riding (riding a motorcycle over huge boulders, bunny-hopping, etc. Both mountain biking and motorcycles are allowed on those three trails. Tibbs and Milma were easy, doubletracks, except for one tricky part on one of them, where I shut off my engine and walked it down through the rocks.
    2016 Felt Decree 30

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!
    Wouldn't that be Stanley Gap?

Cycologist
    Sorry, I thought my link would take you right to what I was seeing but it doesn't.

Stanley Gap and the rest of the Aska trails are to the left side.

Anyone ridden Benton Mackaye in North GA?-screen-shot-2020-09-17-7.28.48-pm.png

I'm thinking this is a mistake as I can't find anything else mentioning bikes on the trail and, they also show "Open to Bicycles" on the AT.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Clicking on the AT on this same map shows the AT open to bicycles as well. I think the interactive map is not correct.Anyone ridden Benton Mackaye in North GA?-badmapat.jpg

mtbr member
    To my best knowledge the only section of BM trail that allows bikes is a portion at Stanley Gap where the trails come together for a bit. Judging by the traffic there compared to other spots I think the Stanley/Aska/Green Mtn. trails are under appreciated for sure.