Any MTB community in Alabama? Tuscaloosa?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Any MTB community in Alabama? Tuscaloosa?

Hi! I am sorry to barge in after so much time away. I do have a question I believe that the experts here could help.

My son is considering U Alabama. He got a good scholarship which makes it worth the travel. It is about a 15 hour drive for us (or plane ride), and we are visiting this week. I will know it when I see it, but I am feeling very intimidated by how perfect everyone looks in the photos of Alabama.

Does anyone ever get a speck of dirt on them?

Is there any sort of off road riding community in Tuscaloosa? If there is, that would say a lot. I live in the Northeast, but I have ridden all over the US: Utah, Arkansas, South Carolina, Texas, California...and in all cases there has been a super great down to earth community that felt welcoming.

I can clean up, comb my hair and throw some make-up on, but I'm so afraid our family won't measure up to all those perfect Southern people shown in the photos. Usually my travel across the states involves racing, so it's kind of easy to tell that there's a community.

Go ahead laugh at me! But just tell me if there's any dirty ppl in Alabama. Thanks!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    These folks get dirty. https://jeffro510.wixsite.com/bump
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The previous link includes the best two trails in the Birmingham metro. Tannehill is on the Tuscaloosa side of Birmingham but even closer to UofA is Lake Lurleen. Not much tech, but solid 20+ miles of XC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I don't know about clubs or the local groups, but Oak Mountain State Park trails made IMBA's epic ride list, so somebody there must be interested.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    There are a few bike shops in Tuscaloosa and within a 2 hour drive there are at least 8 mountain bike trail systems. Closest to Tuscaloosa are Lake Lurleen State Park, Hurricane Creek Park, and Sokol Park. There is a local IMBA chapter and they host 3 or 4 group rides per week. Tuscaloosa is a great college town and I hope you enjoy your time here. Roll Tide!!

mtbr member
    Just to add in as much has already been covered, the Tuscaloosa area has WAMBA, they have a Facebook page with ride info. They typically have several group rides per week and most are easy to get to from the campus. Queen City Cycles is on the edge of campus before coming into downtown on the corner University and Queen City Blvd. There are a couple of other shops as well but not as close to campus. Good luck, have fun, watch the weather Saturday night/Sunday morning, and Roll Tide!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks. that's great info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by armii View Post
    I don't know about clubs or the local groups, but Oak Mountain State Park trails made IMBA's epic ride list, so somebody there must be interested.
    haha..good point. thanks. That's awesome info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks to the last two responses, Wyatt and AF2NR. We did have a lovely visit to Tuscaloosa, ate a ton, and my son committed to UA. I did not have my bike but I jogged around a bit. It was tough to see evidence of anything going on off-road, but then again I live in NYC and people would say the same thing about my town. And there is some GREAT riding near here.

The school was not totally intimidating , although some aspects were. The tour guides 100% were decked out in blinding red dresses, perfect hair, pearls and high heels and looked like TdF podium girls. But the students roaming around the campus seemed pretty regular.

Once we get more dialed in, and drive down with my son a few times, I will probably go ahead and join BUMP. I am older, so I don't really aspire to rip those jumps like they are doing on their videos, bit I'd do some TM to be part of the community and make friends.

thanks for your replies.

Moderator Moderator
    Also, the WAMBA is in your back door.

https://m.facebook.com/Wambarides/
    Randall Cooper on Flickr
    If you have a problem please feel free to PM me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks! That WAMBA thing sounds cool. And I guess there is always that age-old strategy of stopping by the LBS and introducing ones' self.

IG: uuncategorized

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rulti View Post
    Once we get more dialed in, and drive down with my son a few times, I will probably go ahead and join BUMP. I am older, so I don't really aspire to rip those jumps like they are doing on their videos, bit I'd do some TM to be part of the community and make friends.

thanks for your replies.
    BUMP mainly focuses on the Birmingham area trails, and even then mostly Oak Mt. WAMBA does the majority of the trail work on Lake Lurleen, Sokol, and Hurricane Creek, which are the ones closest to campus.

Glad you enjoyed the trip and hope the weather wasn't to bad for you all. It's pretty normal for here this time of year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AF2NR View Post
    BUMP mainly focuses on the Birmingham area trails, and even then mostly Oak Mt. WAMBA does the majority of the trail work on Lake Lurleen, Sokol, and Hurricane Creek, which are the ones closest to campus.

Glad you enjoyed the trip and hope the weather wasn't to bad for you all. It's pretty normal for here this time of year.
    Thanks! The weather was phenomenal. It wasn't until we were leaving, and had a huge runaround with cancelled flights, when I found out there can be a lot of crazy wet weather and tornadoes at this time of year.