Allatoona Creek trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Allatoona Creek trails

Like most of us around here being able to be in the saddle with all this rain and/or wet trails is severely diminishing trail time. I literally am lucky if I can ride 1-2x a week only. If that. So because of this I am not in the best "riding shape" I like to be in. Bleh.

With that being said. I got out yesterday after work and rode Voodoo at Allatoona Creek for the first time. I typically ride the common trails that most everyone rides just due to time and/or darkness. But I have to admit this trail was worth exploring. It begins as a quaint ride but after that quick snooze it lives up to its Expert status.

Some of the on/over trail obstacles are quite challenging, fun and...well, a bit dangerous for the faint of heart to attempt. What I really liked about the trail was having some good (and much needed) recovery riding time in the saddle BETWEEN the really techy areas. lol. A few obstacles I attempted and flew right over. Some I didn't. And that was okay as it was my first time. And then there were some that I just flat out was NOT about to try. Like the area down by the stream through that rock quarry! I was going clockwise but I doubt the other direction would have been any easier. I'd imagine that as it gets warmer and I ride more that I will attempt more of the obstacles on the trail and enjoy it even more. I love challenges so I am pretty sure that I will even try finding a way to get over those boulders!

Have any of you that ride that trail often been able to conquer that area or is it still a challenge for you each time you go through it? Im just curious what kind of lines you take. CW or CCW.

OMB
    OMB :thumbsup:
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1
    2017 Santa Cruz HighTower C
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp
    2016 Specialized Rockhopper

Cycologist
    Hey man!

I like Hocus Pocus better, more natural but some short challenging sections. I made it over the rocky stream crossing last time I rode, right before hunting season fully opened. I've only ridden it clockwise and probably 4 or 5 times total. The trick is to clear the section right before the sharp left turn where you cross. If you don't clear that, you can't really start and make that turn. It's one of those places where a lot of the difficulty is in your mind, if you don't make it, it might hurt. I don't think I was able to continue up the hill past the crossing though but I was very happy I made the stream crossing.

Driftwood is also a very nice trail. It's a bit far out, you have to ride the path through the field and across a big bridge to get to it. I used to not be all that big of a fan of AC but with these trails, it's a great place plus lots of miles of trails for the metro area.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I've only ridden it once. It was at the end of my day, in the CCW direction. It was a cool trail but I got to the point where I just went around a few obstacles. I recall leading down to the creek, I hit the ground somewhere on the downhill slope and by that time decided to just walk it across. I'd like to go back and try it again. Allatoona isn't on my regular rotation - it is a little further out and I'm not super excited about the long connectors plodding away through the fields.

:\ ping of death
    I'm trying to throw some trials flair in my riding this year a la MacAskill/Wibmer style. If you show me obstacles I'll at least try them once. Waiting on a new pike charger damper bleed kit to arrive on Monday so I can finish my annual tune then I'll be ready to ride. PM me if you want to meetup, I'm a 10 minute drive to AC.
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

mtbr member
    Chaz, I should have known you rode and conquered that techy area. I've rode with you and you're an animal, so yeah. lol. I am going to keep hitting it but I think next time I am going to get off and survey it to look at that section you mention. But you're also correct about the uphill right after the creek crossing.
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1

Village Idiot
    Jan 2018
    I ride at AC often, since the parking lot is only 2.5 miles from my house. Not my favorite trails, but they are pretty decent, challenging, and very convenient. Driftwood is probably my favorite. It is rated Intermediate, but I think it is borderline Advanced level. I love Rusty Bucket. It is a Beginner trail, but very tight and twisty, with no real hills. It is great for working on bike handling skills, because if you can ride that trail fast, then your bike handling and cornering skills are very good.

What I don't like about the place is all of the roots. I. Hate. Roots. lol

And then there is the problem with trail labels. When new trails are made, the maps at the parking areas aren't updated. Signs on the trails can be terrible. I don't mind if trails aren't marked, to keep a wild sense about it. But if they are marked, they should be marked correctly. For example - the map at the parking lot for Driftwood still shows it as 1.6 miles long. It is over 4 miles long now, and has been for well over a year. And the online maps should agree with the maps at the parking lots. And when they add new trails, they should be marked. And when you come to an intersection of several trails, each one should be marked. I got all mixed up on the Mason's Bridge trail the other day. Came to an intersection with a new trail, and the sign there indicated that I had been going in the wrong direction the whole time, which I wasn't. I picked one of the new trails because I was confused by the sign, and ended up going the wrong way on a different trail. Went back to the intersection, picked a different trail, and again ended up going the wrong way on the wrong trail. Went back to the intersection again, and went where I knew in my mind was the correct direction on the correct trail, but the sign told me the opposite of that. I eventually made it back to the trailhead going that way.

I run across the same problem when riding at Rope Mill. At intersections, every trail should be labeled, along with the travel direction.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by aerobat66 View Post
    I ride at AC often, since the parking lot is only 2.5 miles from my house. Not my favorite trails, but they are pretty decent, challenging, and very convenient. Driftwood is probably my favorite. It is rated Intermediate, but I think it is borderline Advanced level. I love Rusty Bucket. It is a Beginner trail, but very tight and twisty, with no real hills. It is great for working on bike handling skills, because if you can ride that trail fast, then your bike handling and cornering skills are very good.

What I don't like about the place is all of the roots. I. Hate. Roots. lol

And then there is the problem with trail labels. When new trails are made, the maps at the parking areas aren't updated. Signs on the trails can be terrible. I don't mind if trails aren't marked, to keep a wild sense about it. But if they are marked, they should be marked correctly. For example - the map at the parking lot for Driftwood still shows it as 1.6 miles long. It is over 4 miles long now, and has been for well over a year. And the online maps should agree with the maps at the parking lots. And when they add new trails, they should be marked. And when you come to an intersection of several trails, each one should be marked. I got all mixed up on the Mason's Bridge trail the other day. Came to an intersection with a new trail, and the sign there indicated that I had been going in the wrong direction the whole time, which I wasn't. I picked one of the new trails because I was confused by the sign, and ended up going the wrong way on a different trail. Went back to the intersection, picked a different trail, and again ended up going the wrong way on the wrong trail. Went back to the intersection again, and went where I knew in my mind was the correct direction on the correct trail, but the sign told me the opposite of that. I eventually made it back to the trailhead going that way.

I run across the same problem when riding at Rope Mill. At intersections, every trail should be labeled, along with the travel direction.
    I've never had a problem at Rope Mill. But then, I guess I've been riding there as they added each trail and loop so I'm really familiar with them. Big Creek is the place I think has confusing signage. I know it pretty well now but I remember the first time I road there I kept getting confused and finally realized I was riding one part over and over rather than going onto the next section. I still get confused, last time I was there I rode two laps but I was never sure if I rode Pine Hill or not. And you come to intersection and it just has two signs, each with the same daily direction and both pointing in opposite directions.

Allatoona Creek trails-confused.jpg

Allatoona Creek trails-confused_signs.jpg
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I've never had a problem at Rope Mill. But then, I guess I've been riding there as they added each trail and loop so I'm really familiar with them. Big Creek is the place I think has confusing signage. I know it pretty well now but I remember the first time I road there I kept getting confused and finally realized I was riding one part over and over rather than going onto the next section. I still get confused, last time I was there I rode two laps but I was never sure if I rode Pine Hill or not. And you come to intersection and it just has two signs, each with the same daily direction and both pointing in opposite directions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	confused.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	1244477

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	confused_signs.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	1244475
    Every time I ride at Big Creek, I just end up going straight to the Freeride lines and staying there. So much fun.

Village Idiot
    Jan 2018
    I wanted to add more to this thread. I rode Voodoo yesterday, for the 2nd time. CCW yesterday, and CW my first time several years ago. About halfway through the 4.25 mile trail, I came to the conclusion that I probably won't ride it again. The only reason being is that I do not like man-made obstacles. I imagine quite a few people do like those.

There were numerous piles of half-rotten logs arbitrarily thrown onto the trail. Same with piles of rocks. Some of those wood or rock piles were within my riding abilities. Many were not. My preference is natural obstacles. There are only 2 of those with any real significance on this trail - the creek crossing, and what I call "The Wall". Anyone who has ridden it knows what I am talking about. I walked the creek crossing both times, as it would be quite possible for my riding abilities, but I wasn't wearing my full-face helmet, or any elbow or knee pads. I probably could have done it, but didn't want to risk breaking any of those huge rocks with my body parts. The Wall is easy, riding the trail CCW, when it is a downhill. I didn't attempt it riding CW my first time, but it is possible I could have done it as an uphill on the bike I was riding yesterday. Likely possible, but definitely very difficult (for me). I am old, and not a great or strong rider (mainly because of said age).

Getting to Voodoo is fun. Mumbo Jumbo is an easy trail that really flows. You have to ride it to get to Voodoo. Just like you have to ride Voodoo to get to Hocus Pocus (or is it Hokus Pokus?), which is the only trail at Allatoona that I haven't ridden yet. So, you have to ride 2+ miles to get to Voodoo, then ride 2+ miles of Voodoo to get to Hocus Pocus, then 4+ miles of Hocus Pocus, then the remaining 2 or so miles of Voodo, then the remaining 1+ miles of Mumbo Jumbo, then then almost a mile to get back to the parking lot. Quite a few miles, which is more than the normal 6-8 miles I ride in a morning or afternoon.

I just wanted to give more feedback on Voodoo. Also, the trail will beat the hell out of your bike. Make sure everything is working correctly on your bike before attempting it. My 19 year old bike now is making some new creaking sounds, and there are some things I need to look at, before riding my bike again.

The trail goes deep into the woods. Lots of wildlife. Very challenging trail that will definitely test your riding skills. Again, I doubt I will ride it again, and only because of the man-made obstacles, which I do not like. I like the challenges of nature itself - not arbitrary piles of obstacles thrown in here & there. Even though most of the man-made stuff can be ridden around, many cannot, and I got off of my bike way too many times, to walk and push it over the junk.

I much prefer Driftwood at Allatoona. I don't think that trail will ever become easy or boring to old me. I really want to try Hocus Pocus, but I don't want to endure Voodoo again just to get to/from it.
    2016 Felt Decree 30

:\ ping of death
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrider66 View Post
    I wanted to add more to this thread. I rode Voodoo yesterday, for the 2nd time. CCW yesterday, and CW my first time several years ago. About halfway through the 4.25 mile trail, I came to the conclusion that I probably won't ride it again. The only reason being is that I do not like man-made obstacles. I imagine quite a few people do like those.
    I think you're selling yourself short, Voodoo is an absolute blast and a great trail for honing in technical skill. I'm not one to knock older bikes but frame material, suspension, and components have come a very long way in 19 years. It's likely your 'old' bike is holding you back. For reference, I have an 26" 08 hardtail as a secondary and have ridden everything at AC with it. Hit me up if you want to give Voodoo another shot, or any trail for that matter. Cheers.
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    I think you're selling yourself short, Voodoo is an absolute blast and a great trail for honing in technical skill. I'm not one to knock older bikes but frame material, suspension, and components have come a very long way in 19 years. It's likely your 'old' bike is holding you back. For reference, I have an 26" 08 hardtail as a secondary and have ridden everything at AC with it. Hit me up if you want to give Voodoo another shot, or any trail for that matter. Cheers.
    I rode Voodoo last Sunday. I'm also not a big fan of the manmade technical "features", hit some and skip some; managed to crash (stall and fall) on one of the ones you can't bypass (i was proud of myself for immediately going back and trying it again and making it). But the natural parts are very nice and the best thing about Voodoo is that it leads to Hocus Pocus! Hocus Pocus is a great trail, may be my favorite in the metro area at this time. Still a few spots I haven't conquered. I did make the creek crossing on Voodoo (clockwise) but fell about one pedal stroke short from making the climb after it. Also didn't make the rocky climb just past that.

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!
    Allatoona is my favorite trail in the Atlanta metro area to ride. I have to say that VooDoo and Hocus Pocus are just not my favorites. 20 years ago (Yes, I've been riding that long and longer) I would have loved them. Now they just beat the heck out of me. Masters race age me prefers the flowy trails with a couple of technical sections. I love Mason's Bridge, Turtleback/Red Baron, Mumbo Jumbo, Rusty Bucket, and Driftwood--and MoFlo. I can't wait to see what Wildcat brings. Toona is a real gem!

Village Idiot
    Jan 2018
    I recognize the fact that piles of logs and rocks are good for building skills. It's just that it not my thing - when I'm in in the woods, I want to enjoy nature, the way it is.

Aside from the creek crossing and what I call The Wall, Voodoo isn't a difficult trail at all. I would really enjoy it in its natural state.

However, I am so intrigued by Hocus Pocus now, that I may do begrudgingly do Voodoo again, but only because that is required to get to Hocus Pocus. But that got me to thinking - maybe I could study maps and Google Earth and figure out a way to get on Hocus Pocus without riding both Mumbo Jumbo and Voodoo.

What I like most about AC is that I live only 2.5 miles from the main parking lot. And I do enjoy Driftwood. Lots of challenges, and I don't think I would ever get to where I find it boring or easy.

I ride Rusty Bucket fairly often. I find it to be a good warmup trail. It is very easy, but if you can ride it fast, you have excellent bike-handling skills (as in cornering). I love how it is so tight and twisty.

I think I will start another thread about Mt Tabor Park in Dallas, which I rode this morning, so as to not derail this thread about AC.

Also, thanks for the invitation, phoeneous. However, I always ride alone. I go to the woods to get away from people. And my dinosaur bike is not holding me back at all. It is far more capable than I will ever be. I am old, and my body is beat to hell from several previous accidents in other sports. A more modern bike would not make me a faster rider.

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrider66 View Post
    However, I always ride alone. I go to the woods to get away from people. And my dinosaur bike is not holding me back at all. It is far more capable than I will ever be. I am old, and my body is beat to hell from several previous accidents in other sports. A more modern bike would not make me a faster rider.
    Maybe not, but it would make you much more comfortable. As a Masters aged rider myself, FS is a game changer.

Village Idiot
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadlebred View Post
    Maybe not, but it would make you much more comfortable. As a Masters aged rider myself, FS is a game changer.
    Yes, it is. I don't think I will ever buy another hardtail again. I love FS now. I am amazed how much easier everything is now, including climbing hills. Both wheels staying connected to the ground more makes a huge difference in control, and of course, comfort.

And another thing I just discovered is how essential good riding shoes are. I just got some Five Ten Freeriders, and am astonished at what a difference they make. I thought my riding skills improved drastically overnight, but realized that is just because I finally have some decent shoes. It really does make that much of a difference.

Cycologist
    I'm 55 and my most recent bike is a rigid 27.5+ Kona Unit. I've ridden it on Mason's Bridge and Driftwood; haven't tried the other trails at AC yet on it but I will. My main bike is a short travel full suspension 29er; also have a hardtail 26er. I'm light, around 148 lbs at the moment and I think that helps me ride "light" and handle the bumps.

I know it isn't a necessity but having a dropper post makes me feel a lot more comfortable riding even over those log stacks; just easily being able to get my wait low.

Village Idiot
    Jan 2018
    Update:

On my 3rd ride of Voodoo yesterday, I came across this old moonshine still. I can't believe I didn't see it the first 2 times I rode the trail. It is literally right beside the trail, just downstream of the creek crossing. My main hobby is finding old history in the woods, and I was tickled to find this thing.

Looks like it is complete with axe marks, courtesy of revenuers, back in prohibition days. Oh, and some shotgun pellet holes, too. There are lots and lots of old stills like this to be found in the woods. Just about any creek way back in the woods had a still or two on it, back in the day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Allatoona Creek trails-20190604_114822.jpg  

Allatoona Creek trails-20190604_114836.jpg  

2016 Felt Decree 30

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Finally made it out to Allatoona yesterday with the family and had a blast. Rode the turtleback loop and hit Red Barron and Whipper Snapper. My 7 year old must have ridden the wooden feature at the entrance to red barron about six times. I LOVED the techy area at Whipper Snapper, and we played around up by the parking area for awhile at the ledge feature, jump lines, teeter, etc. Will probably go back next weekend to check out Medusa, Knuckle Sandwich, and MoFlo with the kids. I wish the trail systems up in my neck of the woods had as much variety and features to help foster skills progression.

edit: Use your bugspray, the chiggers are out in force! I found about 90 bites between my 2 kids yesterday. My 9 yr old looks like she has chicken pox.
    Last edited by eyeballs; 06-18-2019 at 07:03 AM.

Village Idiot
    Jan 2018
    Having gotten a job 2 weeks ago, my peaceful weekday riding days are over, and now I must begrudgingly ride amongst other people on the crowded weekend trails. I go into the woods to get away from people - not run into people.

Tomorrow, I will give the new Flaming Wildcat a try. If it doesn't kick my butt too bad (since I haven't ridden in a few weeks), then I will also ride Driftwood.

I finally found some info posted regarding Flaming Wildcat:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/704...stgeorgia.org/

Looks like it is legal to ride it now. If I remember afterwards, I will report here how it was.
    2016 Felt Decree 30

Village Idiot
    Jan 2018
    I rode Flaming Wildcat this morning.

In one word - infreakingtense! I love this new trail. The first phase is only 1.3 miles, but it is quite fun, and seems longer than that. Lots of punch climbs, tight and twisty, with nice berms and 2 or 3 creek crossings, one of which is on flat rocks. No rocks to climb or dodge. It flows well. Whomever cuts these metro ATL trails really knows how to get the most out of terrain.

I look forward to additional phases being added to the trail. Having not ridden in a few weeks, and warming up on Rusty Bucket, I kind of intended to ride Driftwood after FW, but I was so worn out that this 53 year old fatty didn't want to push myself too hard. Riding FW was like having my brains effed out by a 30 year old hottie. Driving back home afterwards, the seratonin afterglow hit me, and I was grinning ear-to-ear.

And the icing on the cake was a spotted fawn, about 15 pounds, jumping on the trail in front of me, running ahead of me for a while, looking for momma and trying to figure out where to go. It cut off into the woods, and about 30 seconds later, it ran across in front of me again, still trying to figure out how to get back to momma.
    2016 Felt Decree 30

mtbr member
    I finally made it back out to Allatoona yesterday after being burned out with Blankets and Ropes. Needed some new scenery if you know what I mean (which Im sure ALL of you do!). I had been hearing some good reports about Driftwood from the early beginnings to now. So I thought I'd go give it a whirl first to see what it was all about. WOW! Am I glad I did! That is one of the more exciting trails I've had the chance to ride in some time. The trail board in the parking lot showed it was only 1.5 miles tho I had heard it was longer. I didnt care as I just wanted something new to ride before I hit Masons. The more I rode DW the more pumped I became!

Where is Flaming Wildcat trailhead located at? I'd like to check it out.
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1

Village Idiot
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBiker View Post
    I finally made it back out to Allatoona yesterday after being burned out with Blankets and Ropes. Needed some new scenery if you know what I mean (which Im sure ALL of you do!). I had been hearing some good reports about Driftwood from the early beginnings to now. So I thought I'd go give it a whirl first to see what it was all about. WOW! Am I glad I did! That is one of the more exciting trails I've had the chance to ride in some time. The trail board in the parking lot showed it was only 1.5 miles tho I had heard it was longer. I didnt care as I just wanted something new to ride before I hit Masons. The more I rode DW the more pumped I became!

Where is Flaming Wildcat trailhead located at? I'd like to check it out.
    The FW trailhead is located right before the DW trailhead. When I rode it last weekend, there were 2 openings as I approached DW. The first was crossed with yellow flagging tape, and the 2nd one was the trailhead for FW. It was maybe 50-100 yds before the DW trailhead, on the right. It wasn't marked yet, but I could tell that it was correct because once FW started, it almost immediately forked for the loop. I rode it CW. It is going to be epic, once they add more phases and length to it.

Yep - they are not good at all about keeping the trailhead maps updated. Or putting signs on trails when things are added or changed. Probably because the government own the property, and self-serving red tape bureaucrats are involved anytime anything is changed. If they actually got stuff done, they wouldn't have a job anymore.

DW is actually about 4 miles long now. I don't think I will ever get tired of DW or bored with it. It's plenty challenging (but not difficult) for me, and the scenery is great.
    2016 Felt Decree 30

mtbr member
    I was fortunate to meet one of the Allatoona trail builders on Saturday as I was introducing a buddy to this trail for his first time there. We were headed to DW and this generous man asked if we wanted to ride FW. You are right - this is going to be one HECK of a trail once they are done. He stated that it's going to be about an 8 mile trail once they are done with it. When I rode it Saturday it showed on Strava that I had only rode 2 miles. Could that be because it's not GPS yet? It was quite awesome the part we DID ride and I wasn't expecting the kick in the saddle but, it was worth every bit of it.
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1

Village Idiot
    Jan 2018
    I rode FW for the 3rd time yesterday, on the 2nd ride on the Trek Rumblefish I recently bought, as a warmup before riding DW. Normally I ride RB (Rusty Bucket) as a warmup, since it has virtually no hills, and I can warm up my cornering and tree-dodging skills without getting worn out. That wasn't the case with FW, as I was worn out before I got to DW.

It is such a great trail, and I bet it will become even better, as they add to it. Yesterday I noticed a new side trail. I checked it out and noticed a brand new bridge on it. It looks like it may be a new entrance to it. The bridge is just upstream of the huge existing bridge that you go over to get to FW and DW.

They also recently added a bunch of whoops to FW. I'm not a fan of man-made obstacles, and prefer natural stuff instead, but at least the woops are fun, and you can catch some air from them.

What I like most about Allatoona Creek is the wide variety of trail types, lots of miles, and especially that it is really close to home - less than 3 miles away. I could even ride my bike to it, if riding on the street didn't give me the heebie jeebies.
    2016 Felt Decree 30

Having a nice day!
    I'm a fan of AC, but unlike some who have posted, I really like Voodoo and really dislike Hokus Pokus. I think the trail features on VD are a lot of fun and they did a good job of having ride arounds on many of them so you can bite off whatever you are feeling like that day. Maybe my impressions on HP are skewed because I rode it on a SS, but it just seemed like a lot of climbing without much payoff, and there is one dip in particular that I thought I was going to snap my fork on. Probably better if you know where that is but it was abrupt! Driftwood is a lot of fun and they added some length on it in the past year. I rode the new on by it and it shows promise although it wasn't anywhere near ready when I rode it last.

mtbr member
    I watched this MTB rider's YouTube video of his ride on HP last year and honestly it doesn't look anywhere close as hard as Voodoo. Maybe I'm missing something or he cut a lot out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq_efrN_gls
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Finally got out to the "slopestyle" section with my kids last weekend. Can't wait to go back with proper gear so I can try medusa. Awesome little section, and the easy shuttle road means my kids can handle multiple laps.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBiker View Post
    I watched this MTB rider's YouTube video of his ride on HP last year and honestly it doesn't look anywhere close as hard as Voodoo. Maybe I'm missing something or he cut a lot out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq_efrN_gls
    Are you comparing a trail you have ridden with one you've only seen on Youtube?

mtbr member
    LOL....well yes I am Chaz! On the video it looks like I could ride it on a tricycle!
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1