mtbr member

Thread moving... again.

You know, not all of us read every single sub-forum. Moving these threads to some of the more obscure subs means they'll get buried. The watch thread, for example... I never go to the apparel sub; never even noticed it existed until I saw this post moved.

Or the GG USA carbon post. That's more of a general topic (the fact that a US company is making carbon domestically?), but you want to bury it in the GG manufacturer sub? I don't have one and, until finding this topic, wasn't even interested, so never frequent the GG manufacturer's sub.

Moving all these topics to specialty sub forums is going to cause a lot of people to miss out on good topics. And ultimately, stop coming here because General and Passion are so devoid of anything interesting or, dare I say it, passionate and I'm guessing most people are just not going to devote the time to read every single sub forum here.

There's got to be a balance where things can be in "General" topic areas, rather than being squashed and moved with the underlying threat that you're doing to wrong and to play right.

jcd's best friend
    Cough cough, the attack position thread should be moved...to the bike frame section...cough cough. Oops did I say that out loud?
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel | Transition Scout

slow
    I've started browsing the site differently in the past couple of months, opting to use the "New Posts" link at the top left instead of going to the different sub-forums from the pull-down menu like I used to do. Seems like I miss less that way.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I agree 100% with the OP. Moving threads is a ridiculous practice that turns off members from coming here. Just when a thread gets going and it gets more interesting with each post it gets moved never to be looked at again. The number of sub forums in this site is rediculous as well. General Discussion is just that, General Discussion, covers many of the topics that go in the obscure sub forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mbtr member
    Personally, i don't feel like 130 forums is enough. I think we need more like 200. We could add forums like '29er components,' 'ebikes,' and 'beer' to draw meaningless divisions and discuss things that are completely unrelated to mtb.

I propose the following forums. We need all these, and they're only a start.

-bearings
    -downduro
    -mountain bikes ridden around the neighborhood 3x per year
    -carbon fiber
    -upduro
    -road bikes
    -downhill racing and training
    -heavy bikes
    -Puerto Rico/ Guam/ Virgin islands
    -vintage, but from that awful 1994-2005 period
    -best buys for conspicuous consumerism
    -RVs
    -cockpit components
    -motorcycles
    -180mm rotors
    -riders under 130lbs (59kg)
    -bike trailers
    -electric scooters
    -XC components
    -brake calipers/freehubs/jockey wheels
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I don't use the "new post" and I am not going to go browsing sub forums that get a new post every week, it's the reason why I have stopped visiting a lot of other forums. The only reason I come here is because the General forum is lively and posts get going sometimes, then when general is being slow I will click on some of the other forums that also get traffic like Beginner for example. I will sooner stop using the site then click around on 30 sub forums to look at posts that haven't had any responses in 1 week.

So yeah bye bye to all the posts that got moved, i'm not checking those again, and moving them to those sub forums is not going to make me want to start checking those sub forums in any way.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    It's unnecessary and irritating. Everybody hates it. It's a total power move (no pun intended).

No known cure
    I'd like to see F88 (politics) come back, especially in this day and age. J/K.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Personally, i don't feel like 130 forums is enough. I think we need more like 200. We could add forums like '29er components,' 'ebikes,' and 'beer' to draw meaningless divisions and discuss things that are completely unrelated to mtb.

I propose the following forums. We need all these, and they're only a start.

-bearings
    -downduro
    -mountain bikes ridden around the neighborhood 3x per year
    -carbon fiber
    -upduro
    -road bikes
    -downhill racing and training
    -heavy bikes
    -Puerto Rico/ Guam/ Virgin islands
    -vintage, but from that awful 1994-2005 period
    -best buys for conspicuous consumerism
    -RVs
    -cockpit components
    -motorcycles
    -180mm rotors
    -riders under 130lbs (59kg)
    -bike trailers
    -electric scooters
    -XC components
    -brake calipers/freehubs/jockey wheels
    Lol, good list. But I think we're pretending Puerto Rico isn't there.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    The ridiculous number of ultra-specific forums (some with very little traffic) is why I donít come here much anymore.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    I get the impression this has been discussed before, but I agree with OP as well.

Too many sub forums, too many threads moved for debatable reasons. And while I'm complaining, too many "search" police. A topic can be discussed more than once.

It's an otherwise friendly and helpful forum, but I've always thought that as long as I've participated here.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    This thread should be moved to https://forums.mtbr.com/site-feedback-issues/ immediately.

Some threads should absolutely be moved to the appropriate sub-forum. If people can't find the proper place to post, should they be using the internet?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    I think we should get rid of "general." If you lack the third-grade skill of putting ideas into categories, it's sad that a mod has to do it for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I'd like to see F88 (politics) come back, especially in this day and age. J/K.
    F88me
    Don't say what you mean, you might spoil your face...

mtbr member
    When will the E-bike forum being subdivided into 'recreational' vs. 'hardcore'...
    Don't say what you mean, you might spoil your face...

CEO Product Failure
    I agree with the OP and several others, moving threads is great way to lose traffic, interest and stop your regulars from revisiting the site. It needs to stop.

I don't "subscribe" to threads (via email notifications) because it would bury my inbox with notes. When I visit the site, I go to the sub forums I frequent most and look for updates. If my thread is moved, I move on...usually to another website.

Edited to add: If MTBR.com really needs a particular thread in some random subforum, then LEAVE the thread in the ORIGINAL forum and post a LINK to it in the SUB. Problem solved.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    When will the E-bike forum being subdivided into 'recreational' vs. 'hardcore'...
    It would be better to divide it into "reasonable ebikers who can discuss things" and "idiot ebikers who just blab off nonsense"; though the first one wouldn't get much traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    I agree with the OP and several others, moving threads is great way to lose traffic, interest and stop your regulars from revisiting the site. It needs to stop.
    As long as the website has an organizational structure, then what is the point of it if people put whatever they want wherever they want?

That said, I agree that there are too many hyper-specific subforums, and there have been lengthy discussions with the new owners/admins about consolidating. I haven't been able to tell if there's actually a plan to consolidate, or if they just said that there's a plan to get us peons to shut up for awhile.

Either way, the website has an organizational structure now, and if they consolidate things some, it will still have an organizational structure. It doesn't make sense to have an organizational structure if you're not going to organize anything. If the mods aren't going to move topics to relevant subforums, then why give the subforums informative headings?

Might as well name the forums like this:
    Blueberry
    Turtle
    Street
    Stapler
    Carpet
    Sandwich
    Cat

Or, eliminate all of the subforums completely, and go back to a single forum. That'll work great with over 13,000 active members, I bet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I think we should get rid of "general." If you lack the third-grade skill of putting ideas into categories, it's sad that a mod has to do it for you.

Apparently you lack the third grade (OK, maybe 4th) understanding of my post. Sure we can all put things in any number of very specific sub-forums and watch them languish in obscurity. That kind of defeats the purpose of informational forums, doesn't it? My point is that that's a great way to lose content, and thus participants, as I suspect most people are not going to browse each and every nit picking sub forum for a tidbit. General is a place (as was passion) where you could stumble across some good information, have some good discussions and actually learn things you may not have considered before.

I'd guess that most visitors go into the specific subs when searching for a specific topic, rather than to engage. General, with its posts of a more general nature is a great place to explore. Or was. That might then lead to visits to some of the specific sub forums to dig deeper. Now, it seems, you have to start your exploration by spending hours perusing all the dozens of various sub forums hoping to find a pearl.

CEO Product Failure
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Blueberry
    Turtle
    Street
    Stapler
    Carpet
    Sandwich
    Cat
    You had me at blueberry! :-D

Bikesexual
    Agree in way too many sub-forums, but people also get upset if something is posted in the wrong place.

For example, the storage bike thread in the SC forum. I know its in the wrong place, but if you don't want to help, then just don't participate. There are many instances where "some" users don't treat newcomers the right way. I also wonder why wasn't that thread moved?

Some people are new users and really don't know anything about or how to use a forum, I know I didn't this is my first and only forum I visit.

With that said, we need a Steel forum!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Sub-forums are an invention from a time when Internet forums were actually popular. They haven't been for years. This one still does alright, but there's no need for this many subs.

Checkout the sister roadbikereview forum. It's the same five people. Used to be huge.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    and xc vs dh..

wheel sizes too...

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Was the "watch" thread in the General?
    If so, why is it wrong that it should in apparel?

If we don't need to put things like that in the category it is classified as, why do we need more than a general category?

My workflow is to read "today's posts". I rarely realize where it is categorized. But when I want to look for something specific I will go to that location.
    With that said, I look for information before I make a selfish new thread that is already beaten to death.

We should just have one category and make new posts as we feel like it because it's just easier to post and wait for answers than it is to go digging around looking for the answers we've already had.

It's always a tough balance on how to organize in a manner that works for everybody. And we all know, just from our own lives, that our organizational structure does not work for everybody.
    I organize my photos and videos on my computer in a way that others tell me that it's not a good way. Because they like their way. Neither are wrong.

But since we all have a pulse, we are never going to be happy with 'one' rule.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Agree with most people on this thread. There are way too may Classic sub-forums. Case in point, even the Mods are screwing up. Whoever moved the "Help: XTR brake will not release" thread, moved it to the Drivetrain sub-forum.

Mods shouldn't drink and categorize. In fact, they should take the 365 Day Categorize Free Challenge.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    First of all, if you'd post in the right category, then your thread won't be moved.

Second, I do agree that there are too many subforums. We're working with the new owners to reorganize the forum starting with the Classic section. Until then, post where it belongs.

Mods can't reorganize the forum. It's gonna be done by the AutoGuide staff, and as you know, they have a lot of forums to manage. I have no idea how soon they'll get to us.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by AVL-MTB View Post
    First of all, if you'd post in the right category, then your thread won't be moved.

Second, I do agree that there are too many subforums. We're working with the new owners to reorganize the forum starting with the Classic section. Until then, post where it belongs.

Mods can't reorganize the forum. It's gonna be done by the AutoGuide staff, and as you know, they have a lot of forums to manage. I have no idea how soon they'll get to us.
    But but but, if the Watch thread gets posted in the apparel forum, how am I going to ignore it?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    But but but, if the Watch thread gets posted in the apparel forum, how am I going to ignore it?
    Honestly, I was fine with it in General. We have an apparel subforum???

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AVL-MTB View Post
    Oh good. I was worried that the reorganization was going to be done by someone who had some rudimentary understanding of the forum, like the moderators. It's a relief to hear it will be done by total outsiders and that the character of this message board will be maintained.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How about not moving a thread if it's getting a decent number of responses. Instead leave it and duplicate it and all the responses in the correct sub-forum.
    The object here is primarily to get traffic.
    Not to have good organization.

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    How about not moving a thread if it's getting a decent number of responses. Instead leave it and duplicate it and all the responses in the correct sub-forum.
    The object here is primarily to get traffic.
    Not to have good organization.
    Iím 100% on board with this. Why move a thread that is one of the most active threads in the forum? Itís never made sense to me.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Also sad that nobody does key word searches to find posts of interest, no matter what forum they are in. Worse yet, failing to do that before starting a new thread on a topic that's been beat to death.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    As long as the website has an organizational structure, then what is the point of it if people put whatever they want wherever they want?

That said, I agree that there are too many hyper-specific subforums, and there have been lengthy discussions with the new owners/admins about consolidating. I haven't been able to tell if there's actually a plan to consolidate, or if they just said that there's a plan to get us peons to shut up for awhile.

Either way, the website has an organizational structure now, and if they consolidate things some, it will still have an organizational structure. It doesn't make sense to have an organizational structure if you're not going to organize anything. If the mods aren't going to move topics to relevant subforums, then why give the subforums informative headings?

Blueberry
    Turtle
    Street
    Stapler
    Carpet
    Sandwich
    Cat

Or, eliminate all of the subforums completely, and go back to a single forum. That'll work great with over 13,000 active members, I bet.
    Oh c'mon. Those categories are hardly helpful at all. What we really need is a "helmet-friendly hairstyles sub-forum.

Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    Also sad that nobody does key word searches to find posts of interest, no matter what forum they are in. Worse yet, failing to do that before starting a new thread on a topic that's been beat to death.

If people did that there would be no new threads in here. Every topic known to man related to mtb has been beaten to death over the years on here.

Flat Pluto Society

Searches here are useless. Google is better, but not by much.

Hey, how about them trail reviews? *snark*

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Why is this thread still in General?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Why is this thread still in General?

Because it's not All Mountain enough.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

I think itís time for a thread move.

Move this bich to the feedback forum so those in charge can get a clue as to how disappointed most are on how things are being over policed, as of late.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Do we have a dropper post forum or clipless pedal forum?

I frequent another site and their general forum is bonkers. Hugely popular

Shit doesnít get moved. Itís a hodgepodge of folks blabbering. And it is awesome

If general discussion isnít general discussion, it needs to be renamed

Quote Originally Posted by baitdragger View Post
    Do we have a dropper post forum or clipless pedal forum?

I frequent another site and their general forum is bonkers. Hugely popular

Shit doesnít get moved. Itís a hodgepodge of folks blabbering. And it is awesome

If general discussion isnít general discussion, it needs to be renamed
    What in Godís name is that site? This one sure has hit the skids due to over policing.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    If people did that there would be no new threads in here. Every topic known to man related to mtb has been beaten to death over the years on here.
    No need for new threads, just continue the old ones of the same topic. Better to get history & context.

No need for new threads, just continue the old ones of the same topic. Better to get history & context.

Which has been tried over and over again over the years. Only to find the thread you bumped dies a fast death after its longevity long running death prior. It seems many ignore threads that have been bumped but would rather jump in on a new thread even though itís the same topic. Weird I know, nature of the beast I suppose.

P.S. ever been a vistor of the ďoriginal forumĒ of this site? The ďPassionĒ forum. Go here and express your opinions on the recent name change.

https://forums.mtbr.com/riding-passi...d-1096915.html

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    There has been a long going conversation in the mods forum specifically about consolidation of forums with the new ownership. This conversation goes back to well before the site was purchased....
    But until that happens, there are specific places for specific topics. You dont want to have a site where anything goes in any forum.... have you been to the NorCal section? It is a nightmare.... if the rest of the site was as messy as NorCal you can bet readership would dive to all time lows.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

The NorCal forum is the best forum on this site. Fun people having fun conversations. No uptight policing going on over there.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    The NorCal forum is the best forum on this site. Fun people having fun conversations. No uptight policing going on over there.
    It might as well be renamed "General" so much of the stuff is not NorCal specific. I mean, some bozo started a thread "Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado." there. Should everyone only post in their regional forum no matter what the topic is, like they do in NorCal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    It might as well be renamed "General" so much of the stuff is not NorCal specific. I mean, some bozo started a thread "Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado." there. Should everyone only post in their regional forum no matter what the topic is, like they do in NorCal?
    Itís like itís own OC, which I like. All the other sub forums are useless when any topic under bike specific conversation can be covered in General Dicussion. General Discission meaning just that, General Discussion bike related. This site has become sub forum redundant. As for regional forums they are for happenings within that region pertaining to bikes. But also any topic pertaining to bikes. Do away with 90% of the obscure sub forums which can be discussed in General and watch the number of members increase in activity. Right now the site seems dead because itís so spread out as far as sub forums. And because many left because of over policing, threads moved.

Meatbomb
    What tire should i use?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    What tire should i use?
    26, 27.5, 29, regular, plus or fat?

With more info I can move it to the correct sub-forum

Pro Crastinator
    moving a thread about moving threads. who saw that one coming?

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    moving a thread about moving threads. who saw that one coming?
    See post #38.