Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Captain One Lung Administrator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,732

    Can we get a LIKE button?

    Some of my other forums have it and it is more useful than it would appear at first glance. Many threads I've read are cool or useful but I have nothing to say so I don't comment. If there is a LIKE button then I use it. The OP get's a notification and others can see that I liked it. IMO if I post a new thread on MTBR and no one comments I assume it wasn't well liked and will refrain from posting anything similar. If enough of those threads go without comment I'd likely avoid posting anything or even visiting the site. On sites that have a LIKE button I can see that the thread was appreciated and in turn I can show others that there efforts were appreciated. The end result is that you keep people interested in posting and contributing, especially lurkers who never post but appreciate the efforts others put into their posts.

  2. #2
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,262
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Some of my other forums have it and it is more useful than it would appear at first glance. Many threads I've read are cool or useful but I have nothing to say so I don't comment. If there is a LIKE button then I use it. The OP get's a notification and others can see that I liked it. IMO if I post a new thread on MTBR and no one comments I assume it wasn't well liked and will refrain from posting anything similar. If enough of those threads go without comment I'd likely avoid posting anything or even visiting the site. On sites that have a LIKE button I can see that the thread was appreciated and in turn I can show others that there efforts were appreciated. The end result is that you keep people interested in posting and contributing, especially lurkers who never post but appreciate the efforts others put into their posts.
    Damn... where's the LIKE button?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  3. #3
    Captain One Lung Administrator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Damn... where's the LIKE button?
    =sParty
    Sweet! I'll artificially jump start our LIKE count.

    Name:  fb-like-and-share-buttons.png
Views: 80
Size:  4.5 KB

  4. #4
    Trail Gnome
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,592
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Some of my other forums have it and it is more useful than it would appear at first glance. Many threads I've read are cool or useful but I have nothing to say so I don't comment. If there is a LIKE button then I use it. The OP get's a notification and others can see that I liked it. IMO if I post a new thread on MTBR and no one comments I assume it wasn't well liked and will refrain from posting anything similar. If enough of those threads go without comment I'd likely avoid posting anything or even visiting the site. On sites that have a LIKE button I can see that the thread was appreciated and in turn I can show others that there efforts were appreciated. The end result is that you keep people interested in posting and contributing, especially lurkers who never post but appreciate the efforts others put into their posts.
    Back when the mods used to let me post...we would simply click on the star, located at the bottom left corner, of your post. Add your “like” comment, and presto...mission accomplished

  5. #5
    Captain One Lung Administrator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,732
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Back when the mods used to let me post...we would simply click on the star, located at the bottom left corner, of your post. Add your “like” comment, and presto...mission accomplished
    That's too much work. Besides, I may not like the OP poster and therefore don't want to up his/her rep but I like the post. I like you though so your way would be ok if you post something good. lol

  6. #6
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    24,417
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Back when the mods used to let me post...we would simply click on the star, located at the bottom left corner, of your post. Add your “like” comment, and presto...mission accomplished
    Major problem with that are the restrictions the board software places on its use.

    Can't use it more than a specific number of times per day. Can't use it for the same person again until you've used it on something like 100 other people. If you're not a frequent visitor to the site, that might be years.

    A simple "like" button, or a "thumbs up/down" system for specific posts is something different. Something that doesn't necessarily permanently hang around the poster (the way rep does).

  7. #7
    Administrator Administrator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    187
    This has been brought up before. I can entertain plugin additions after the site is moved to new servers. Still waiting for this to get a cut over date but should be soon.
    -Philip

  8. #8
    Captain One Lung Administrator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,732
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBRadmin View Post
    This has been brought up before. I can entertain plugin additions after the site is moved to new servers. Still waiting for this to get a cut over date but should be soon.
    -Philip
    Thanks Philip!

    And thanks for articulating in depth what I meant, Harold.

    Along those lines I wonder if there is a Plug-in for this software that allows "mentions". I.e. instead of quoting someone I could call their attention to a thread by using the @username function.

  9. #9
    Administrator Administrator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Thanks Philip!

    And thanks for articulating in depth what I meant, Harold.

    Along those lines I wonder if there is a Plug-in for this software that allows "mentions". I.e. instead of quoting someone I could call their attention to a thread by using the @username function.
    @Mention: There is a very simple plugin for this. I am still just waiting on the move schedule.
    -Philip

  10. #10
    Flat Pluto Society
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,815
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBRadmin View Post
    @Mention: There is a very simple plugin for this. I am still just waiting on the move schedule.
    -Philip
    Okee dokely. Thanks, P-lip.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    386
    A like button is Meh. After a while everybody will be liking everyting. We need self-gratification and if nobody likes our stuff we get our feelings hurt. Or the person pressing like had a hard time deciding if they should, or should not like a post. So to be fair they will like everything.

    I think it would be neat, and as mentioned above, if there was a like count per day that could be helpful.

    FWIW, please don't like this post.


    Oh I forgot, you can't.

  12. #12
    Flat Pluto Society
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,815
    I still say the Steve Hoffman music forums are the one to copy. Get on it, Phil!

  13. #13
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    7,397
    Great, so then we will end up with another circle jerk of guys liking each others posts just to drive up their "reputation" just like they did when the Rep button was installed.
    Bicycles don’t have motors or batteries.

    Ebikes are not bicycles

  14. #14
    Upcyclist
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,141
    ^^The "Rep button" was around way before we got the idea for a circle jerk.


    If we get a like button, can we also get a confused button?
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

  15. #15
    Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Reputation: alexbn921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,616
    Liked
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

  16. #16
    Flat Pluto Society
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    If we get a like button, can we also get a confused button?
    Great idea! I think it should look like this:
    Can we get a LIKE button?-trump-butttton.png

  17. #17
    Administrator Administrator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    A like button is Meh. After a while everybody will be liking everyting. We need self-gratification and if nobody likes our stuff we get our feelings hurt. Or the person pressing like had a hard time deciding if they should, or should not like a post. So to be fair they will like everything.

    I think it would be neat, and as mentioned above, if there was a like count per day that could be helpful.

    FWIW, please don't like this post.


    Oh I forgot, you can't.
    Can we get a LIKE button?-like-512.png
    -Philip

  18. #18
    Administrator Administrator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    ^^The "Rep button" was around way before we got the idea for a circle jerk.


    If we get a like button, can we also get a confused button?
    Depends if we can hack the chosen plugin.
    -Philip

Similar Threads

  1. Button, Button, Who's got the Button?
    By MOJO K in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2018, 09:46 PM
  2. Can I upgrade the lock out button on my 2013 Reba's to hydraulic?
    By Livewire88 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2015, 11:52 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-07-2013, 09:41 PM
  4. I feel like a tard - cant find pricematch button on ChainReactionCycles
    By mainlane in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 11:11 AM
  5. I can't find the buy button in any of the classifieds
    By Guntings in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 11:06 AM

Members who have read this thread: 39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.