Captain One Lung Administrator

Can we get a LIKE button?

Some of my other forums have it and it is more useful than it would appear at first glance. Many threads I've read are cool or useful but I have nothing to say so I don't comment. If there is a LIKE button then I use it. The OP get's a notification and others can see that I liked it. IMO if I post a new thread on MTBR and no one comments I assume it wasn't well liked and will refrain from posting anything similar. If enough of those threads go without comment I'd likely avoid posting anything or even visiting the site. On sites that have a LIKE button I can see that the thread was appreciated and in turn I can show others that there efforts were appreciated. The end result is that you keep people interested in posting and contributing, especially lurkers who never post but appreciate the efforts others put into their posts.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Some of my other forums have it and it is more useful than it would appear at first glance. Many threads I've read are cool or useful but I have nothing to say so I don't comment. If there is a LIKE button then I use it. The OP get's a notification and others can see that I liked it. IMO if I post a new thread on MTBR and no one comments I assume it wasn't well liked and will refrain from posting anything similar. If enough of those threads go without comment I'd likely avoid posting anything or even visiting the site. On sites that have a LIKE button I can see that the thread was appreciated and in turn I can show others that there efforts were appreciated. The end result is that you keep people interested in posting and contributing, especially lurkers who never post but appreciate the efforts others put into their posts.
    Damn... where's the LIKE button?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Damn... where's the LIKE button?
    =sParty
    Sweet! I'll artificially jump start our LIKE count.

Name:  fb-like-and-share-buttons.png
Views: 80
Size:  4.5 KB

Trail Gnome
    Back when the mods used to let me post...we would simply click on the star, located at the bottom left corner, of your post. Add your “like” comment, and presto...mission accomplished

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Back when the mods used to let me post...we would simply click on the star, located at the bottom left corner, of your post. Add your “like” comment, and presto...mission accomplished
    That's too much work. Besides, I may not like the OP poster and therefore don't want to up his/her rep but I like the post. I like you though so your way would be ok if you post something good. lol

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Major problem with that are the restrictions the board software places on its use.

Can't use it more than a specific number of times per day. Can't use it for the same person again until you've used it on something like 100 other people. If you're not a frequent visitor to the site, that might be years.

A simple "like" button, or a "thumbs up/down" system for specific posts is something different. Something that doesn't necessarily permanently hang around the poster (the way rep does).

Administrator Administrator
    Jun 2018
    This has been brought up before. I can entertain plugin additions after the site is moved to new servers. Still waiting for this to get a cut over date but should be soon.
    -Philip

Quote Originally Posted by MTBRadmin View Post
    This has been brought up before. I can entertain plugin additions after the site is moved to new servers. Still waiting for this to get a cut over date but should be soon.
    -Philip
    Thanks Philip!

And thanks for articulating in depth what I meant, Harold.

Along those lines I wonder if there is a Plug-in for this software that allows "mentions". I.e. instead of quoting someone I could call their attention to a thread by using the @username function.

Jun 2018
    Thanks Philip!

And thanks for articulating in depth what I meant, Harold.

Along those lines I wonder if there is a Plug-in for this software that allows "mentions". I.e. instead of quoting someone I could call their attention to a thread by using the @username function.
    @Mention: There is a very simple plugin for this. I am still just waiting on the move schedule.
    -Philip

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBRadmin View Post
    @Mention: There is a very simple plugin for this. I am still just waiting on the move schedule.
    -Philip
    Okee dokely. Thanks, P-lip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    A like button is Meh. After a while everybody will be liking everyting. We need self-gratification and if nobody likes our stuff we get our feelings hurt. Or the person pressing like had a hard time deciding if they should, or should not like a post. So to be fair they will like everything.

I think it would be neat, and as mentioned above, if there was a like count per day that could be helpful.

FWIW, please don't like this post.

Oh I forgot, you can't.

Flat Pluto Society
    I still say the Steve Hoffman music forums are the one to copy. Get on it, Phil!

SS Pusher Man
    Great, so then we will end up with another circle jerk of guys liking each others posts just to drive up their "reputation" just like they did when the Rep button was installed.
    Bicycles don’t have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

Upcyclist
    ^^The "Rep button" was around way before we got the idea for a circle jerk.

If we get a like button, can we also get a confused button?
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Liked
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Great idea! I think it should look like this:
    Can we get a LIKE button?-trump-butttton.png

Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    A like button is Meh. After a while everybody will be liking everyting. We need self-gratification and if nobody likes our stuff we get our feelings hurt. Or the person pressing like had a hard time deciding if they should, or should not like a post. So to be fair they will like everything.

I think it would be neat, and as mentioned above, if there was a like count per day that could be helpful.

FWIW, please don't like this post.

Oh I forgot, you can't.
    Can we get a LIKE button?-like-512.png
    -Philip

Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    ^^The "Rep button" was around way before we got the idea for a circle jerk.

Depends if we can hack the chosen plugin.
    -Philip